X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pussy alert!

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post

I liked that it showed that Johnny wasn't all bad and that Daniel wasn't a purely innocent party. People have nuances.
      Honestly, I feel like that dynamic is a copout just to play up to the "Daniel was the true villian all along!" memes on social media.

Johnny was a pure d1ck in the original movie. That said, the deleted scenes from The Karate Kid do imply that he was a troubled youth of sorts - a missed opportunity for Cobra Kai to properly implement that stuff (small criticism though - the series has mainly been done so well from start to finish).

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
        I liked that it showed that Johnny wasn't all bad and that Daniel wasn't a purely innocent party. People have nuances.
        I think they did a good job with this. Like [MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION] says, I think it would've been easy for them to go with the "Daniel was the real bully" approach (and their early advertising did them no favours - they really leaned into that in the promo material).

Instead I think the approach was good. If I'm to sum up what I felt made it work, it's that it used the trope of "we all see ourselves as the hero of our own story" very well. It didn't say that Daniel was the real villain, but it did do a good job of showing us how, in Johnny's shoes, he would've seemed like one - by making us understand a bit about who Johnny was.

What I think I really like about it was that people say it "recontextualises" the original movies; but I think that's not quite right. The nice thing about the way it's written is that it doesn't feel like it's "retconning" anything, or mining deep for stuff that wasn't there. The Karate Kid trilogy were effective children's movies because they told quite simple interpersonal stories, with memorable characters. They did a lot with a little. Cobra-Kai just builds on top of what was already there.

It's one of the few times I've seen one of these follow-ups where, when they try to mix in footage of the originals for flashbacks, it feels fine, because (helped, admittedly, by the cast) I can buy that these are the same people 30 years later.

And the series apex still remains...

PUT HIM IN A BODY BAAAAAG

Comment

I think some time back when it was still made by Youtube they said they hoped to get six seasons out of it which at its current pace feels spot on. It's not one of those run and run shows and I think six would be the right point to wrap it up on given where it's at.

I'm beginning to suspect that Season 05 is going to be one where things between Cobra Kai and Miyagi get more violent and ruthless and we're going to get a Kreese redemption arc to lead into a sixth season where they finally shut down Cobra Kai together for good (thereby literally and metaphorically letting go of the past)

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            I think some time back when it was still made by Youtube they said they hoped to get six seasons out of it which at its current pace feels spot on. It's not one of those run and run shows and I think six would be the right point to wrap it up on given where it's at.

I'm beginning to suspect that Season 05 is going to be one where things between Cobra Kai and Miyagi get more violent and ruthless and we're going to get a Kreese redemption arc to lead into a sixth season where they finally shut down Cobra Kai together for good (thereby literally and metaphorically letting go of the past)
            I think...

... the show will conclude with Daniel, Johnny, Chozen and Kreese all together, who are competing with Silva's Cobra-Kai. I think they'll win, and Kreese/Johnny/Robby will continue to teach a new version Cobra-Kai which encapsulates the teachings of all the forms of karate seen in the show.

I think this is because Kreese will find common ground with the others. Silva is, for lack of a better term, a truer form of evil - he's a manipulative sociopath. Whereas Kreese, for all the bad things he's done, I think he does genuinely care about his students and his life has led him to believe that the brutal teachings of Cobra-Kai are something they need in life.

Whereas I think Silva will end up dead.

I feel this because I suspect that any other outcome results in the same events possibly repeating in another 30 years. But this would resolve the conflict at play between all characters.

Comment

Yep

They seem to be sowing the seeds for Kreese to have a somewhat fatherly mindset with Johnny to explain his streak of softness. With Kreese his background comes from learning never to show weakness and that fellow troops are family. With S4's betrayal it breaks that loyalty for him. It's quite easy to get Daniel and Kreese resolved too because the show has already mentioned a couple of times, especially when Silva first came back and pointed out how insane it was to have such a vendetta against a shild who won a karate competition. The difference they've established is that Silva enjoys violence and does things because it makes him feel powerful, Kreese does it out of protection for Cobra Kai and only Johnny seems to eclipse that priority.

It'd be a nice arc too because if it runs and runs you end up just playing too many avenues out and it's bordered on that a lot already with every kid swapping teams every season

Comment

Thing is, Terry Silver is a product and essentially a victim of Kreese too.

Comment

Imagine if this all ended on a flashback to Kreese and Silva back in their military unit and it revealed that somehow Mr Miyagi was involved in what happened to them - that he was the true villain all along

Comment

It’s Silver!

Sometimes I think the show doesn’t quite get enough credit for the level of humanity it brings to the characters. Yes, it’s melodramatic. Yes, it’s often a total cheese fest. Yes, it’s totally ridiculous at times. But even the talk of the “true villain”, be it Silver (it’s not) or anyone else, sometimes misses what the show has managed to achieve with Johnny, Kreese and Silver. Especially Silver because he was a total cartoon character in KK3 and one of the things that made that movie a bit more ridiculous than the previous movies, which had hardly started from a place of gritty realism. In just one season of the show, they managed to make Terry Silver a many-layered character. Both villain and victim all in one.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      It’s Silver!

Sometimes I think the show doesn’t quite get enough credit for the level of humanity it brings to the characters. Yes, it’s melodramatic. Yes, it’s often a total cheese fest. Yes, it’s totally ridiculous at times. But even the talk of the “true villain”, be it Silver (it’s not) or anyone else, sometimes misses what the show has managed to achieve with Johnny, Kreese and Silver. Especially Silver because he was a total cartoon character in KK3 and one of the things that made that movie a bit more ridiculous than the previous movies, which had hardly started from a place of gritty realism. In just one season of the show, they managed to make Terry Silver a many-layered character. Both villain and victim all in one.
                      I think Silva can be nuanced whilst also being closest person to a "true villain" of the show, though. Like one doesn't necessarily preclude the other.

Comment

IT’S SILVER!

I don’t even know what you’re looking for in a “true villain” but it’s not Terry Silver. Silver was almost always working for Kreese. Kreese made him who he is, just like he tried with Johnny, just like he tried with Daniel, Robby and everyone else. Kreese is the manipulator and always at the top. Unless you want to say that the true villain is the horror of war.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          IT’S SILVER!

I don’t even know what you’re looking for in a “true villain” but it’s not Terry Silver. Silver was almost always working for Kreese. Kreese made him who he is, just like he tried with Johnny, just like he tried with Daniel, Robby and everyone else. Kreese is the manipulator and always at the top. Unless you want to say that the true villain is the horror of war.
                          Silver. Sorry, I work with someone with Silva as their last name (it's a very common Portuguese surname) so muscle memory and all that.

I'm not so sure about that. I mean, when we met Silver in Karate Kid 3, he was a corrupt industrialist and borderline gangster. Has the show ever given us information that suggests he was a decent guy prior to Kreese meeting him? I've assumed he was always like that.

Comment

We saw him in season 3 of Cobra Kai in all the war flashbacks. He was just a kid. Kreese got him through that and pretty much owned him. Even in season 4, you could see the difference Kreese made to him. He’s messed up but he’s more Starscream than Megatron, if you know what I mean.

Comment

Silva.

Comment

I just found out that Ralph Macchio (Daniel) is 5 months older than Thomas Ian Griffith (Silver)

Comment

Working...
                                X