Red Sector Megademo, my all time favourite;

Comment

Tat? U wot m8?

Thats art that is, lad, by gum!

Comment

And some uber funky cracktros too:

Comment

Comment

And not forgetting the best demo ever made...

Comment

Comment

Having just spent the best part of an hour watching through the vids, I thought Budbrain’s Kaos section and Desert Dream were the best, both in terms of music and content.

The non-A500 stuff with AGA chipset and accelerated CPUs are cheating a little bit, but if we’re to include them then this one gives a stunning example of what the Amiga’s Paula chip is truly capable of given a nice, beefy CPU and plenty of RAM:

Switching it up from great demos to just great music, stepping away from the obvious choices such as Turrican and Shadow of the Beast, here are some of my personal favourites...

I just love the funky wah sounding guitar on the No Second Prize intro:

Whilst it may have featured a really dodgy jump mechanic, Crazy Sue Goes On was a highly polished PD effort with a great sounding, almost SID-esque, in game tune:

Chis Huelsbeck. Enough said:

A game composer who never really seems to get much credit is Stephane Picq. If you haven’t listened to it yet, I implore you to try the Lost Eden soundtrack which is available on Apple Music. It’s worthy of being considered a proper music album, in my opinion, such is the journey it takes the listener on. Meanwhile here is a fine example of his output on the Amiga, the Enigma inspired intro music to Cryo’s Dune:

Last edited by samanosuke; 26-03-2018, 05:02.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                  The non-A500 stuff with AGA chipset and accelerated CPUs are cheating a little bit, but if we’re to include them then this one gives a stunning example of what the Amiga’s Paula chip is truly capable of given a nice, beefy CPU and plenty of RAM:
                  Totally stunning.

This tune really develops to become something unforgettable.

I remember friends and family being amazed that a computer could output the Blood Money intro music.
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 29-03-2018, 16:49.

Comment

What a fabulous thread. Keep them coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      Totally stunning.
                      IN the Amiga’s twilight years a software sound driver called AHI was developed which, rather than being limited to just the four 8-bit, hard left/right stereo channels, mixed channels via software and also combined them to increase sample quality to 12-bit. The end result was one true stereo output (as opposed to hard left/right) with 12-bit sampling (so two left, two right channels, each side stacked to increase bitrate), and each left/right hardware channel would have access to eight independent channels mixed via software. It takes a little extra CPU, not a great deal I think, but does require increased RAM so probably unusable on a 1Mb A500, say. But still it’s amazing to think that a sound chip from a computer dating back to 1985 can produce music of this quality.

I remember friends and family being amazed that a computer could output the Blood Money intro music.
                      Mate, that choon rocks, thanks for that as it wasn’t one I’d heard before.

Yeah, I totally get where you’re coming from... some of the stuff I’d hear from my TV speakers blew me away... I just couldn’t comprehend how it could sound so good, and so far ahead of any other computer or console of the day. Real music FFS, when we were just used to blips and bleeps.

Comment

But still it’s amazing to think that a sound chip from a computer dating back to 1985 can produce music of this quality.
                        Yeah, it's amazing that the Paula chip continued to be very capable into the 90s. It's great what clever people managed to get out of it.

Mate, that choon rocks, thanks for that as it wasn’t one I’d heard before.
                        It really did blow me away back in the day. It's nice how the creator delivered a rich piece of music that combined so many elements successfully.

Real music FFS, when we were just used to blips and bleeps.
                        There are lots of people who moan about Amiga music being all about "samples" and not feeling organic enough. But hearing music with professional sounding beats and samples in general, was absolutely stunning back in the late '80s - early '90s. There were also tunes that did sound more like what you get from an FM Synthesis chip, so it's not like the Amiga couldn't deliver more organic sounding music with the right approach.

Comment

There are lots of people who moan about Amiga music being all about "samples" and not feeling organic enough.
                          I would disagree with that notion; yes, Amiga music is mostly (completely?) composed of samples, however for me it does sound organic and also very distinct.

Compare the following two (excellent) soundtracks. Now which to you sounds the more organic?

Last edited by samanosuke; 31-03-2018, 18:43.

Comment

Compare the following two (excellent) soundtracks. Now which to you sounds the more organic?
                            The Amiga version is far richer and has an organic feel to how it fits together and flows.

I think this tune from Battle Squadron sounds very much like something you'd get from machines not focused on sample based music. Of course, you have samples, but there's also the synth vibe you get with the SID chip etc... So the music doesn't sound like a rigid bunch of samples.

Comment

Great music had Battle Squadron, also liked the previous one Hybris that also had a good soundtrack.

Comment

Working...
                              X