User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    Totally stunning.
    IN the Amigaís twilight years a software sound driver called AHI was developed which, rather than being limited to just the four 8-bit, hard left/right stereo channels, mixed channels via software and also combined them to increase sample quality to 12-bit. The end result was one true stereo output (as opposed to hard left/right) with 12-bit sampling (so two left, two right channels, each side stacked to increase bitrate), and each left/right hardware channel would have access to eight independent channels mixed via software. It takes a little extra CPU, not a great deal I think, but does require increased RAM so probably unusable on a 1Mb A500, say. But still itís amazing to think that a sound chip from a computer dating back to 1985 can produce music of this quality.

I remember friends and family being amazed that a computer could output the Blood Money intro music.
    Mate, that choon rocks, thanks for that as it wasnít one Iíd heard before.

Yeah, I totally get where youíre coming from... some of the stuff Iíd hear from my TV speakers blew me away... I just couldnít comprehend how it could sound so good, and so far ahead of any other computer or console of the day. Real music FFS, when we were just used to blips and bleeps.

Quote Originally Posted by samanosuke View Post
    But still it’s amazing to think that a sound chip from a computer dating back to 1985 can produce music of this quality.
    Yeah, it's amazing that the Paula chip continued to be very capable into the 90s. It's great what clever people managed to get out of it.

Mate, that choon rocks, thanks for that as it wasn’t one I’d heard before.
    It really did blow me away back in the day. It's nice how the creator delivered a rich piece of music that combined so many elements successfully.

Real music FFS, when we were just used to blips and bleeps.
    There are lots of people who moan about Amiga music being all about "samples" and not feeling organic enough. But hearing music with professional sounding beats and samples in general, was absolutely stunning back in the late '80s - early '90s. There were also tunes that did sound more like what you get from an FM Synthesis chip, so it's not like the Amiga couldn't deliver more organic sounding music with the right approach.

There are lots of people who moan about Amiga music being all about "samples" and not feeling organic enough.
    I would disagree with that notion; yes, Amiga music is mostly (completely?) composed of samples, however for me it does sound organic and also very distinct.

Compare the following two (excellent) soundtracks. Now which to you sounds the more organic?

Last edited by samanosuke; 31-03-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Compare the following two (excellent) soundtracks. Now which to you sounds the more organic?
    The Amiga version is far richer and has an organic feel to how it fits together and flows.

I think this tune from Battle Squadron sounds very much like something you'd get from machines not focused on sample based music. Of course, you have samples, but there's also the synth vibe you get with the SID chip etc... So the music doesn't sound like a rigid bunch of samples.

Great music had Battle Squadron, also liked the previous one Hybris that also had a good soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Anpanman View Post
    also liked the previous one Hybris that also had a good soundtrack.

Yeah, another golden classic.

This guy rocks the tune.

Let's not forget the chart music that was produced on the Amiga,

Omni Trio

Calvin Harris' first album was all done on the Amiga,

Kanye West apparently started with the Amiga, I won't link his videos though, lets be real, no one wants to listen to him.

Urban Shakedown used two A500s to double the number of channels when they produced Some Justice. By the looks of it the video might well be done on an Amiga too:

This guy rocks the tune.
    He certainly does, that's superb.