X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kendrick is a wad

Comment

It’s not a... she’s really funny. I like her.

Comment

I went to the cinema twice in one day yesterday!

Firstly, I saw Pokémon: Detective Pikachu with my son. He said it was "The best film eveeeeeer", but he says that about every film.
        I was disappointed, to be honest. I'm not a ginormous Pokémon fan, just a passing interest, so the thrill of seeing a Jigglypuff was lost on me. The main appeal of Pikachu being voiced by Ryan Reynolds wasn't as funny as I thought it'd be. I'm not sure if he was improvising or they were pre-written lines, but most fell a bit flat.
        Story was OK, but a bit predictable, but it's not really aimed at me. Some films like Toy Story and Lego Movie I could watch without the kids, but I wouldn't watch it again.
        I shouldn't really complain, because whilst I was watching this with my son, my wife was with our daughter in the screen next door watching Paw Patrol: Mighty Pups. I dodged a bullet there.

Talking of dodging bullets, that's what Keanu Reeves did a lot of in John Wick Part 3: Parabellum.
        Yeah, this was swiggedy-sweet!
        I was genuinely excited to realise I was watching a modern, Western martial arts film without shakycam, but with an interesting story.
        The plot is pretty simple, but expands the idea of the world of assassins, shifting the motivations from the initial film's revenge and the sequel's manipulation to one of survival and learning who he can really trust.
        It's the fighting that shines here, thankfully, and my fears that it might get a bit repetitive were unfounded as each section has its own unique merits.

Obviously, I was buzzing to see some of my fave screen fighters (Mark Dacascos, Yayan Ruhian and Cepep Arif Rahman) in this.
        Dacascos particularly shines, playing an interesting bad guy that has more depth than first appears, leading to a few laughs.

The guys from the Raid 2 have less depth, but you know every time they're on screen, somebody's gonna get a whuppin'.
        Stuntman-turned-director delivers a gorgeously shot and choreographed action film

Plenty of big names actors also pop up and props to Halle Berry, who gives John Wick a run for his money as a badass with a great sequence with quite a long take with a handheld camera in the middle adding to the sense of chaos.
        Berry training footage:

So yeah, I really enjoyed this and would've been happy if it had finished here, but by the end I was still ready for more, so I'm pleased it has had a strong opening (finally toppling Endgame at the box office) and they're planning on part 4.

Comment

John Wick: Chapter Three
          I think I enjoyed it a little bit more than Ch2, as soon as events started to be fed into by the Adjudicator you could see Ch4 and 5 line themselves up. Even if they end up over staying their welcome it's impressive that it's this good for this long, my only real downer is that I would have preferred events to stay in the city, it sagged a little for changing locale and didn't really need to in order to do that plot point but overall great fun.

Comment

Just finished watching Brawl in Cell Block 99 on Netflix.

Holy moly it gets brutal! :O

It's a real slow burner, which makes the violence, when it finally comes, even more intense.

Comment

The 2005 remake of The Fog. Won't even dignify it with a paragraph, it's truly tedious pap and it nearly bored me to sleep.

Comment

Hellboy 2, for the first time since it came out at the pictures. It reminded me of Ghostbusters 2 crossed with Phantom Menace. It was good. Good all the way. But never more than good. Did like the Abe guy actually doing the voice this time, he does a great job, I think I was disappointed it wasn't Niles the first time I saw this.

Johann Krauss makes the movie, though. What a great character!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  Just finished watching Brawl in Cell Block 99 on Netflix.

Holy moly it gets brutal! :O

It's a real slow burner, which makes the violence, when it finally comes, even more intense.
                  Dragged Across Concrete next, chimpy. It's his best film

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                    Dragged Across Concrete next, chimpy. It's his best film
                    Ah cool, I'll keep an eye out for that when it streams. It's only just been on the cinema.

"Eye out" and "dragged across concrete" are just some of the things Vaughn does in Brawl In Cell Block 99 too!

Comment

Dragged Across Concrete is class ... Mel Gibson is so good too.

Comment

The Incredibles 2
                        I swear to god, I will never understand the praise these films get. Usually it's 'they're like Fantastic Four done well' as though that statement means it's a good film in general rather than just a better version of a batch of characters that are woefully out of step with modern tastes. I always found the original to be perfectly watchable but for its time the most forgettable Pixar movie. Later years have been kinder because Pixars stock has devalued over time. This sequel though did massive business for them and came after a very long wait as they waited for the right story and... it's such a tired retread of the first film. 'So... so I have this idea guys, this time Elastigirl works missions and Mr Incredible stays at home with the kids' - 'Go home guys, we've nailed it'. Lazy doesn't begin to cover it, it's perfectly well put together as is Pixar's norm but its an energyless remake of the first film which even renders its plot twist dead as you call the films events in the first scene of meeting the characters. Bar making that lump of cash they needn't have bothered.

Comment

I watched Darkest Hour again last night. I didn't quite connect with it in the cinema and wondered if I'd just not been in the mood or been tired or something ... because it's a period I'm really interested in. The film looks amazing. The performances are great. But there's maybe a bit of a crowd-pleaser factor that just doesn't quite work for me.

Comment

After playing Absolute Drift, I popped on Initial D on Netflix.

It's a fun approximation of the first few manga books with some nice shots of the drifting cars.

Some strange editing choices that makes it look like it's buffering and Bunta is a knob of a father.
                            Makes his 13 y/o kid deliver his tofu because he has piles, is permanently drunk and regularly beats him with a stick that leave marks years later.

Kinda missed that first time around.

Comment

I've never seen Initial D. I've read the first batch of Manga and enjoyed it, need to go back to it at some point. I found it tricky keeping up with who was who though because the drawings of the people are a bit 'potato'.

Comment

Yeah, "potato" is pretty apt. The car art is superb though.

I found the manga was unnecessarily strung out. There's not actual race in the first book!
                                As I said, the film is a streamlined version of the first few books, so works quite well by cutting a lot of the chaff out.

It's no Citizen Kane, but the race scenes are well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X