No announcement yet.

3D - The Third Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada is getting practically none now, but then we didn't get Frozen or Big Hero 6 when they were released anyway.

Comment

I saw Ready Player One at the IMAX in 3D and I thought it was really clever how the early "real life" section was practically 2D and when he put his goggles on to enter The Oasis, they cranked up the 3D effect.

Comment

Just watched Mad Max Fury Road 3D, was very good, great depth to the fikm, and one or two in your face bits too!

Comment

I just watched the 1953 film Inferno on 3d blu ray. It was superb, Robert Ryan is left for dead in the Mojave desert with a broken leg, by his wife and her lover. He has to learn how to survive, and get his own back.

It looked awesome in 3d, Robert Ryan was chiseled from granite and tough as teak as usual, so watchable, and Rhonda Fleming as the villianess wife, was absolutely beautiful, she smoldered on screen.

Great film, thoroughly enjoyed, well done to the small Scottish outfit for releasing it. To add to the film noir effect, I drank a couple of gimlets while watching it. Top stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            I saw Ready Player One at the IMAX in 3D and I thought it was really clever how the early "real life" section was practically 2D and when he put his goggles on to enter The Oasis, they cranked up the 3D effect.
            I feel like they did something similar with Tron: Legacy.

Comment

3Dudes, Trine 3 is £4.99 at the moment!

Trine 3 The Artifacts of Power is a 3D platforming game of action, puzzles and adventure. Experience a fairytale world of breathtaking sceneries and face a myriad of physics-based puzzles, wonderful contraptions, dangerous foes and enchanting creatures. Features - A beautiful 3D fantasy world with 7 story-driven Chapters and 11 puzzle-solving, skill-focused Lost Pages - Three playable characters, Pontius the Knight, Zoya the Thief and Amadeus the Wizard, each with their own skills and unique abilities - Share a couch Local co-op multiplayer support for up to three players - Full HD 1080p with a smooth framerate of 60 per second - Support for Stereo 3D This product is playable in 2D or 3D. To enjoy stereoscopic 3D features, you will require a 3D TV that supports stereoscopic display and compatible 3D glasses.

Comment

Cheers QC need to give that a bash.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                  I feel like they did something similar with Tron: Legacy.
                  Tron legacy was in 3d from the word go I'm sure, going through the city as it pans out to the house I'm sure was all in 3d, I do like the idea that as soon as you wear helmets or masks it all goes 3d.wee bit clever or Spielberg magic who knows bit I still haven't seen black panther I'm so far behind

3d wise I've seen last jedi, jumanji 2 and geostorm and none of them looked really amazing

Comment

Amazon UK has 2 for $18 on Marvel 3D blurays https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/promotio...TG4ZQPMJDQ4CY9

Comment

Other week I watched Ghost In the Shell 3D, it was really good, I'd seen it before in 2d. Way better in 3d than Blade Runner was. Made way better use of the format. And Takeshi Kitano in 3d too

Comment

I opted for the 3D version of Ghost in the Shell over the UHD version. The 3d Blu-ray is superbly produced. Shame the UHD format doesn’t support 3D.

Comment

I quite liked Ghost in the Shell. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap copy as I can imagine the 3D Tokyo is quite impressive.

It's funny that 3D is dying out, because I feel it offers a truly different experience to the annual increase in resolution. I'd probably struggle to spot a UHD film from across the room.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            Not a hugely popular film here but the recent Ghostbusters is superb in 3D because not only is it in 3D but, at a lot of points, the 3D stuff goes beyond the frame of the movie. It's a gimmick that I wouldn't want to see in a lot of movies because it could be distracting but it works really well in that one.
                            I finally watched Ghostbusters last night after having it for months.

I really wanted to like the film, but it just doesn't gel properly. I didn't like the Jillian Holtzmann character. She's obviously supposed to be Egon Spengler, but misses the mark. I think they possibly had more fun making the film than the end result shows. There is a whole disc of bloopers and alternative takes, so I think there was a lot of goofing around on-set.

Still, it was enjoyable enough. I quite like Kristen Wiiiig and Melissa McCarthy is quite likeable when she's not too OTT.
                            The opening was pretty spooky and spotting the cameos was also fun, but broke the 4th wall a lot.

As for the 3D, I thought it was really good. The first ghost they meet belches a load of extoplasm and I had to rewind it because I wasn't sure if it broke the frame, but it did (as Dogg says)! It's a clever trick I'd only seen in some "3D" gifs, but it was used in that gerbil film, G-Force, and more recently in Fantastic Beasts, but not to such an extent before and it was used for a lot of shots to give more emphasis on the 3D, but some fun stuff like Patty's necklace hanging over the black bars.

Ghostbusters was shot with a 2.40 aspect ratio — meaning the image is 2.4 times as wide as it is tall — it was shot on digital cameras using a 1.55 digital sensor, giving Director Paul Feig and Stereoscopic Supervisor Ed Marsh access to plenty of visual information both above and below the frame. In 3-D, it’s projected in 1.85, with black bars covering the extra space.

So the film is watchable, but the 3D makes it more of an event for me.

Comment

Framebreaks are a nice trick but I absolutely can't stand it when films are set to what is effectively super widescreen. Everyone owns a widescreen TV now, there should never be black bars present for any reason. It just recreates the 4:3 problem but from an even more annoying angle.

Comment

I totally didn't notice the borders because most my films have them on my projector.
                                It was only when the slime first broke out that I noticed it.
                                It's used quite a lot in the last section, but a lot more sparingly in the build up.

Comment

Working...
                                X