3D - The Third Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D - The Third Dimension

You can't search for just "3D", so I've made the thread title longer.

Basically, this thread is for you to post your reviews of 3D films you've seen and you can rate the film, extras and implementation of 3D. For example, early Marvel films are pretty functional, but later ones like Doctor Strange really embrace the format.

I've found that the earlier films can be picked up pretty cheap second hand, usually about a fiver, so I wait a while for films to drop in price, rather than get them straight away.

Film Title Film Extras 3D
    Predator
    Terminator 2
    Big Hero 6
    Jurassic World
    Jurassic Park
    Paranorman
    Drive Angry
    Gravity
    The Walk
    Despicable Me
    Pacific Rim
    Fury Road
    Wreck-It Ralph
    Avengers
    Thor
    Thor 2
    Tintin
    Hugo
    "Want to buy" list:

3D
    [ ] Tron Legacy
    [ ] Ant-Man
    [ ] Guardians of the Galaxy
    [ ] Age of Ultron
    [ ] Civil War
    [ ] Winter Soldier
    [ ] Avatar
    [ ] Force Awakens
    [ ] Rogue One
    [ ] How to Train Your Dragon
    [ ] How to Train Your Dragon 2
    [ ] Cloudy meatballs
    [ ] Cloudy meatballs 2
    [ ] Tangled
    [ ] Despicable Me 2
    [ ] Despicable Me 3
    [ ] Sin City
    [ ] Sin City 2
    [ ] Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    [ ] Rise of the Guardians
    [ ] Legend of the Guardians
    [ ] Coraline
    [ ] The Martian
    [ ] Life of Pi
    [ ] Captain America
    [ ] Captain America 2
    [ ] Brave
    [ ] Hobbit 1
    [ ] Hobbit 2
    [ ] Hobbit 3
    [ ] LotR 1
    [ ] LotR 2
    [ ] LotR 3
    [ ] Lego Movie
    [ ] Abraham Lincoln
    [ ] Metallica
    [ ] John Carter
    [ ] Everest
    [ ] The Good Dinosaur
    [ ] Godzilla
    [ ] Lego Batman
    [ ] Pacific Rim Uprising
    [ ] Blade Runner 2069

So what 3D films have you seen that really embrace the format?
    What is your benchmark film for how great 3D can be?

Not a hugely popular film here but the recent Ghostbusters is superb in 3D because not only is it in 3D but, at a lot of points, the 3D stuff goes beyond the frame of the movie. It's a gimmick that I wouldn't want to see in a lot of movies because it could be distracting but it works really well in that one.

Tron Legacy is especially beautiful in 3D. But the film that does 3D best for me is easily Dredd. It's absolutely incredible in 3D and the slo-mo drug effects are amazing and really make use of the format. Weirdly the 2D presentation has noticeably worse picture quality with very grainy dark sections - part of me wonders if that's just that, in 3D, it drops the horizontal res so it smooths it out? Not sure but it looks amazing in 3D.

Comment

Thanks, Dawg.
      I've picked up Ghostbusters as it was about £3.50!
      I'm looking forward to seeing it, actually.

I need to get Tron, but Dredd is a brilliant film and example of 3D.

Comment

Gravity is about the best I've seen.

Comment

The Great Gatsby.

The 3D on the boater hats was brilliant.

I'm not being sarcastic, either.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            Gravity is about the best I've seen.
            Yep, Gravity in 3D is superb.

Comment

We saw Gravity at the IMAX at the Birmingham Science Museum and it was amazing.

There's a section where Sandra Bullock's firm buttocks drift in front of the camera.
              As I observed the 100ft cheeks dominating my vison, I turned to my friend to see if he had also noticed.
              Without taking his eyes of the screen, acknowledged me with a sage nod of the head.

Comment

I second Dredd in 3D. Incredible.

For games you should try the Trine games as they work brilliantly.

Comment

Dredd 3rded here. My benchmark 3D movie is actually....Prometheus. The 3D is there, its subtle mostly and really well done when used in an obvious way, like the tunnel map and HUD shots.

Guardians of the Galaxy also has a few shots that go outside the frame as well, and I love it.

First 3D movie in the cinema was of course Avatar, second being How to Train Your Dragon. First at home was Thor as I'd picked up the 3D version LONG before I had a 3D capable display.

Half the reason I bought the PSVR was so that I could watch 3D on it. I have a 47" Toshiba I bought 7 years ago, and the PlayStation Screen that I bought a year before that but is far too dark for my bright living room.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                    For games you should try the Trine games as they work brilliantly.
                    I didn't know that any games worked in proper 3D, so I'll check those out, Bradders, cheers.

Ooh, looks like I have "purchased" Trine 2 previously, so I'll see if that works.

Comment

I have found myself fascinated by the early days of 3d films. Did you know they made proper 3d films back in the day, not just the rubbish coloured glasses ones. I can recommend Man in the Dark, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and It Came From the Desert.

I've seen It Came From the Desert loads in the past, but never in 3d, it was made in 3d, and it totally transforms it. Huge sweeping vistas, twinkling eyes, scary monsters.

On one scene the alien points a laser wand right into the screen and fires, me and my Dad nearly papped ourselfs

Man in the Dark, is a good film noir, about a gang shaking down their old boss for the location of missing loot, but he's had a brain operation to remove his criminal tendencies It has an awesome car chase scene, where you can see the actual curve of the dashboard, and the glass. It's like been seat on the back seat with them.

The Isle of Man TT Closer to the Edge is great in 3d too.

Avoid the recent Blade Runner in 3d, it did absolutely nothing.
                      Last edited by vanpeebles; 29-03-2018, 17:32.

Comment

Drive Angry, and Hugo were really good in 3d. Same for Pacific Rim, the made for 3d Hobbit films are superb in 3d.

Comment

Avatar ....though it was the first 3d film but it blew me away just seeing the whole world in 3d

Toy story 3....now for this i hear conflicting information so i have a feeling it might just be the cinema i saw it in....but the ONLY 3d i remember seeing was when subtitles appeared at a certain point in the film.

Gravity was impressive with some real stand out moments

Comment

Hobbit extended trilogy, very good 3d.
                            Tron legacy is also good.

Comment

Kylo Ren's nose ship poking us in the eye in Force Awakens was one of the few good moments, I think Finn running along near Maz's castle was too.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              I didn't know that any games worked in proper 3D, so I'll check those out, Bradders, cheers.

Ooh, looks like I have "purchased" Trine 2 previously, so I'll see if that works.
                              Trine 2 on the PS3 should be 3D. I think Trine 3 for the PS4 is as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X