No announcement yet.

3D - The Third Dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That image gives the impression the effect would be quite nice in motion... but it also makes me sad again that we still don't have a decent GB film post-80's

Comment

A mate went to see Jurassic World 2 and it reminded me that I'd bought the first one and had forgotten!

I'd not seen it from the cinema, so it was in fairly recent memory, but enough of a break to watch it again.
      I'm sure you've all seen the film and have your own thoughts on it. I like it and thought the idea of it being both a sequel and a reboot quite clever.

There's enough of a story to cling to that you care when the dinos start chomping, but plenty of silliness to blank out to avoid getting wound up (moustache guy would have been fired years ago. Everybody running around where the dinos are loose.)

Aside from the obvious homages to JP, the second viewing made me think of several other action films like Aliens when we follow the team of marines into their deaths and their heart monitors flatline, Predator 2 when the soldiers are all brandishing laser sights and Terminator 2 where the velociraptors (rather than a helicopter) are attacking an escaping truck.

As for the 3D, it felt a little muted at first with only the various helicopter shots adding much depth, but once we start seeing the dinos, it really adds an extra thrill. I particularly l liked the scene where they're trapped in the garage of the old JP site, whilst the Indominus Rex is trying to find them. Mosasaurus chomping onto a shark is also ace. The bike chase had an excellent selection of levels to the focus that felt immersive without being distracting.

This is perfect 3D fodder and although it's a conversion, they did originally plan on filming with 3D cameras, so it's not just an afterthought. Unlike Ghostbusters, there's less focus on coming out of the screen and more and adding depth behind with gorgeous sweeping shots of the park and its attractions. It's also nice and bright with many scenes taking place in the day, rather than relying on the murk of dark scenes to hide the effects.

I would actually say that the 3D rerelease of Jurassic Park was better because there are more shots that work in 3D, but it's a close-run thing.

Comment

Bought a bunch of 3D films from CEX the other day whilst away.
        TT3D: Closer to the Edge (£1.50 thanks for the suggestion, [MENTION=5011]vanpeebles[/MENTION])
        The Hobbit (£2)
        John Carter (£4)

I've not had chance to watch them yet.

Am I right in thinking the original Lord of the Rings films have never had a 3D transfer, it's just the Hobbit films?

Comment

Double post. Browser's being an arse.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
            Am I right in thinking the original Lord of the Rings films have never had a 3D transfer, it's just the Hobbit films?
            That would be the case.

Comment

The Hobbit was made for 3d, it's excellent!

Comment

I got a new blu ray player. Nothing fancy but it’s region free so that’s cool. And 3D of course - that’s more important to me than 4K or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                  The Hobbit was made for 3d, it's excellent!
                  I might try and watch the first part at the weekend!

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  I got a new blu ray player. Nothing fancy but it’s region free so that’s cool. And 3D of course - that’s more important to me than 4K or whatever.
                  This is me, also.
                  I guess watching grainy kung fu, horror and anime VHS tapes has made me more tolerable to noise.
                  3D makes a difference.

Comment

Bought a bunch of 3D films from CEX the other day whilst away.

TT3D: Closer to the Edge (£1.50 thanks for the suggestion, @vanpeebles)

Probably the finest example of the format IMHO. And Guy Martin is always worth a watch.

Comment

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate.

Being a kung fu fan, this was a must-buy for me, especially at £1.50 from CEX!

It's a 2011 wuxia film directed by Tsui Hark and starring Jet Li about the Emperor's eunuchs getting too much power, the Emperor's concubine is getting naffed off that he keeps impregnating his courtesans and insists they're all killed, but the last surviving one escapes.

Events conspire to a showdown at Dragon Gate as an impending sandstorm threatens to wipe everybody out.

It's a strong start, with the camera flying through a shipyard, screaming that it's 3D and a top fight with Jet Li chucking tree trunks at his enemy (and the camera).

The middle bit drags though with lots of scurrilous duplicity from everybody until the final showdown and we finally know who is on what side.

The end fight is pretty good (and long) and uses a few 3D tricks to make it exciting, like invisible thread threatening to slice 'n' dice our heroes.

The 3D in this is great. Even the subtitles are at different distances, although just subs would've been better than the descriptive for hard of hearing ("Horse whimpers"). From the opening sequence in the docks to a fight at a river to the epic finale, there are constantly things being thrown out of the screen at you.

So, worth a watch for £1.50, deffo, but I'll probably skip to the end in future revisits.

I ran out of time to watch Tron, so I'll try again this week.

Other review:
                      FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE Blu-ray Review. Tsui Hark's 3D martial arts film FLYING SWORDS OF DRAGON GATE stars Jet Li..

Comment

I managed to watch Tron Legacy last night in 3D for the first time since the cinema and enjoyed it a little better without the weight of decades of anticipation.

I still think Michael Sheen's character is a little incongruous to everything else going on. Like The Merovingian crossed with Lee Evans.
                        I'm not 100% sure about Flynn's motivations at any point in the film, if I'm honest.
                        He comes across as a selfish jerk, made a bit more likeable because he sounds like The Dude.
                        That Uncanny Valley effect on the younger Flynn is just so weird. It's amazingly realistic, but there's something off that makes your brain say "CGIIIII!"
                        I also prefer the unique look of the original, rather than the "real" feel of the sequel, but it looks lovely.
                        It's a pretty vanilla disc with just a couple of trailers as extras, no 2D version or making-of shorts, which would've been fascinating.

With the grumps out of the way, onto the film.

Well, it's bloody beautiful to look at. Despite the warning at the start of long 2D sections, the initial real world sections are all flat.
                        It's only when we hit The Grid does the 3D kick in and it's really well done with lots of layers and glass and projections.

The standout scene for me has to be the cycle fight with it's multiple layers of colour and translucency. Stunning.

I have no issues spending a couple of hours with a 3D Olivia Wilde.

I thought Daft Punk did a great job of the score too and enjoyed the nods to the original soundtrack which I mainly know from playing the arcade!

Comment

I managed to watch Tron Legacy last night in 3D for the first time since the cinema and enjoyed it a little better without the weight of decades of anticipation.
                          We saw this at the IMAX in Birmingham upon release, and yeah, the weight of anticipation affected the movie for me, too.

Just didn't think it was very good. Didn't like the visual style (which veered too far from the original, which was a movie that was kinda sold on that) and I thought the plot was flawed...

What's gonna happen when CLU's ship reaches that pillar of light? Is that giant space-ship going to appear in LA? (and crash, immediately). Are a million pages of 1's and 0's going to print off the dot-matrix printer in that little computer-room in the back of an arcade? They can't reach the internet because the film is predicated on that computer having no outside connection.

An action-thriller needs jeopardy, and for that, it needs stakes to which the audience can relate. Legacy really dropped the ball with that.

... however, the 3D was a good experience and the music was marvellous. That was enough to make the experience entertaining; it just wasn't as good as it could've been.

Comment

I miss the Brum IMAX, it was a great experience.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I thought the first section within The Grid and the games section was really good.
                            As soon as the plot kicked in, it became a little bit silly.

I think most people wanted to like the film more than it let them.

Comment

I miss the Brum IMAX, it was a great experience.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, but I thought the first section within The Grid and the games section was really good.
                              As soon as the plot kicked in, it became a little bit silly.

I think most people wanted to like the film more than it let them.
                              I guess in a way I'm kinda like one of those protective Star Wars fans with this one. Not the point where I made 20 YouTube videos attacking it but certainly to the point where an early slight caused me to dismiss it.

Before getting inside the computer, there were things I really liked. I loved the explanation of how Flynn had disappeared. I loved the little touches, like how Sam lives in a garage space bearing the DuMont logo (a reference to the line from the original film, where a programmer called Walter DuMont says "Sometimes I wish I was back in my garage"). I loved the bit where he goes to the arcade, and the "Sweet Dreams" song bit.

It was the point where, upon getting inside the computer, the main character encountered a Recognizer, and it had engines, with thrusters and complex moving parts. That was where it lost me. The original TRON's vehicles lacked those things because they were inside a computer and weren't needed, and that was part of what made them so unique. I know people said it was because the world in the computer had adapted and evolved, but that's a justification for a creative decision - and in that moment, I thought "whoever made that decision didn't see the previous movie the way I saw it", and I knew then that a lot of this movie was not going to be for me. Subsequent things happened which pushed this further, but I remember very specifically how that was the moment.

Comment

Ha ha ha, I can picture you and Blobcat in the cinema and her regularly looking over at you in her oversized 3D IMAX glasses as you quietly seethe at everything appearing on the screen.

That's actually exactly what I thought last night as I watched it, though.
                                "Why do the Space Invader thingies suddenly need thrusters when then didn't 30 odd years ago?"

Comment

Working...
                                X