The Last Starfighter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Last Starfighter 2

The script writer of Star Wars: Rogue One has confirmed that he's been working on a reboot of the 80's sci-fi film The Last Starfighter.

“Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” screenwriter Gary Whitta has just shared concept art for a project he’s working on – one with ties to the 1984 cult classic “The Last Starfighter”. Whitta posted on Twitter that he wants to share “a little something I’ve been tinkering on with my co-writer Jonathan Betuel” – and […]

He released some concept images of what he's been playing around with:

Following this morning’s tease of some sort of return of 1984 cult classic sci-fi film “The Last Starfighter,” screenwriter Gary Whitta has now gone into detail about just what he was teasing with his social media posts which included concept art depicting the iconic ships from the original. Speaking with io9, Whitta has confirmed that […]

He also confirmed he's been working on the script with the writer of the original film who also partially retains ownership of the ip. It sounds like it's loosely connected to the original ala Jurassic World so is technically a sequel.

Ok Hollywood is really starting to run out of stuff to reboot. But The Last Starfighter was one of my faves as a bairn so I’d be up for modern interpretation. The design of the early CGI fighters in the original are excellent and have enough space for modern reworking that could still be faithful.
    I look forward to seeing more about this develop.

Comment

One of my favourite sci fi movies as a kid. It would be this or Flight of the Navigator in the top spot for me... But they're different enough movies and age groups I'd give them equal praise.

This just doesn't need to happen.

Comment

This never really stayed with me as a kid, I saw it round about the time Halley's Comet came around, I think I watched it twice and didn't rate it.

I put it in the same category I put Flash Gordon in, not even in the same league as the 80s Buck Rogers TV show (which was funky n brill).

Natch. Leave it in the bloody 80s, ffs, remake Re-Animator or summat.

Comment

War Games. Even War Games was better.

In fact, War Games was quite good. Much better than this. Anyone ever see Evilspeak? It was *kinda* like War Games had it been a video nasty.

They should remake Evilspeak.

Comment

Sacrilege! Flash Gordon is 80’s perfection. Crap hunky male lead. Tick. Heavily made up women. Tick. Awesome soundtrack. Tick. Genuinely decent actors hamming it up. Tick tick. A Blue Peter presenter. Tick. And, of course, Brian Blessed.

Comment

Loved this as a kid, can see (for once) how another might actually be good.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                War Games. Even War Games was better.

In fact, War Games was quite good. Much better than this. Anyone ever see Evilspeak? It was *kinda* like War Games had it been a video nasty.

They should remake Evilspeak.
                I haven’t but I love Wargames. I’ll watch it, thanks!

I recently watched From Beyond based on you posting about it Jazz, highly enjoyable.

Comment

The original was one of my favourite films growing up. @Blobcat and I watched it earlier this year after she got me the Blu-Ray for Christmas (she had to import it as there's no UK version); she'd never seen it before so I was surprised to see it holds up very well.

I think Starfighter works because despite the sci-fi plot, it actually has a very simple premise with which most people can identify; well, those of us who grew up in a period of recession in a pretty backwater place. Star Wars had the typical sci-fantasy idea of the young hero who gazes off into the distance and imagines going out into the universe, but for Starfighter, that was the movie. The entire thing was build around that one emotion, that "coming of age melancholy", when you hit your late teens and you realise the world around you, which was always fine before, starts to feel "small".

It was also very well paced and scripted. I remember the line:

Alex: "You've got the wrong person, Centauri. I'm just a kid who lives in a trailer park."
                  Centauri: "If that's what you think... Then that's all you'll ever be."

I actually think it's a fantastic film for young people with a very positive message - not that you can go off and become a soldier by playing videogames, but rather that you can find yourself in the strangest of places if you have the courage to try, and a little bit of help.
                  Last edited by Asura; 10-04-2018, 07:59.

Comment

I remember the film but it's always occupied a little corner of my mind rather than be anything I'm fond of, a bit like Flight of the Navigator. It felt too much like another SW knock off in too many places for me to care much about it, despite the sci-fi elements it was the image of him playing the arcade machine that stayed with me most.

Comment

The 1984 sci-fi action adventure “The Last Starfighter” was a seminal feature for an entire generation, and for many years there has been quiet murmurs of hope for a potential sequel or remake. This week the film’s original co-writer Jonathan Betuel offered an update on the sequel and explained that he is still working on […]

This seems to be becoming more likely but sounds like a spiritual sequel as seeing the original isn't required

Comment

Oh, WHY? It's a 36yr old film and nobody's seen it. I was there throughout the STAR WARS/SPACE INVADERS era and nobody ever talked about this at school. It was competent but mediocre, like a TV movie given cinema wings.

Can't believe how dumb studios and investors can be. Your core market is aged between 40-60 and we never even gave a shat in the first place!!!

One tip: always manage your own money.

Comment

Dunno we loved it in my house it was more important to me than star wars, but yeah sequel is no aim. If it comes out tho and uses the OG score I'll prob watch it and cry like a child

Comment

Remember renting this and DUNE out (well, me mam) in late 1985. It was 2-for-£1.50 on a Tuesday.

As I was only ten, DUNE was impenetrable, crazy, disjointed, mad-seeming. Like I wasn't ripe enough to enjoy it yet and I could feel it inside.

THE LAST STARFIGHTER??? Did somebody farted?....

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                              Oh, WHY? It's a 36yr old film and nobody's seen it.
                              Speak for yourself. I loved the film back in the day Got it on HD DVD and looking forward to the new Arrow BluRay version

Comment

Working...
                              X