No announcement yet.

Star Trek: Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The “Star Trek: Discovery” panel at San Diego Comic-Con this weekend confirmed that the character of Spock would be featured in the second season of the series. This raises the logical question – would they recast the role? While some fans have asked for the casting of the current film incarnation of Spock, actor Zachary […]

They're keeping it secret but the showrunners have confirmed that Spock will be in Season 2 and they already cast the role with Quinto not playing the young Prime version

Comment

Some dude is new Spock! https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sta....co/Twg8cyDLIW

I don’t know him but he looks pretty good. I just feel weird about there being several Spocks and not one of them being Leonard Nimoy.

Comment

That's because there aren't several Spocks. There's Leonard Nimoy and imitator wannabe fake Spocks.

Comment

Yeah, I think I would tend to agree. We seem to have made everyone replaceable, disposable and the likes of Bond or Batman are used to justify this but the likes of Spock or Han Solo or Michael Knight or whoever aren’t the same because they were defined and certainly in part created by the actor. It’s not just a costume to be put on.

I have enjoyed the movie Treks and other things where people have been replaced but, ultimately, I agree with you.

Comment

As Deadline reported last year, the 'Crazy Rich Asians' actor is getting her own series in the expanding Trekverse from CBS's streaming system

Comment

She was very good so I’m not massively surprised. But that’s a lot of Trek shows.

Comment

Series 2 epp 1 now online.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  She was very good so I’m not massively surprised. But that’s a lot of Trek shows.
                  It's what makes television/movies great: Quantity over quality - it worked for Star Wars fantastically.

Hmm, wait, that doesn't sound quite right.

Comment

I've seen the first ep now and I don't get why they'd put Captain Pike in charge of Discovery. The only captains of the original Enterprise were Pike and Kirk and Kirk didn't take control until 2265. Although it doesn't directly break canon, it would be unlikely in a Trek universe that there'd be an acting Captain in control of the flagship Enterprise for very long, or that they'd reassign their leading captain off their flagship - so it's all very convenient to have it breakdown so unconvincingly.

I continue to be unimpressed with Discovery and its existence in Trek lore - but it was a better opener than that of season 1.
                    Last edited by MartyG; 18-01-2019, 14:01.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      I've seen the first ep now and I don't get why they'd put Captain Pike in charge of Discovery. The only captains of the original Enterprise were Pike and Kirk and Kirk didn't take control until 2265. Although it doesn't directly break canon, it would be unlikely in a Trek universe that there'd be an acting Captain in control of the flagship Enterprise for very long, or that they'd reassign their leading captain off their flagship - so it's all very convenient to have it breakdown so unconvincingly.
                      Yep, I watched it last night and that element was clumsy to the point where I expected some big reveal or twist that would have it fall into place but it didn’t. The episode generally lacked focus and just shifted around a lot. I like Pike in it though. That guy is good, even if he looks a good bit older than Pike back in the day. I also really like how they did the uniforms - they have the colouring of classic Trek but still all the same details of the Discovery uniforms.

In spite of wandering around quite a bit, I enjoyed it and will stick with it. Oh and nerd correction: there was a third captain of the Enterprise. Robert April was captain before Pike. But that doesn’t change your point in any way.

Comment

Enjoyed the first pep. I like the characters on discovery as they are all likeable and give solid performances. Pike is a great addition as well so I hope he sticks around for the season.

I really could give a fig about all the continuation and nerding over trek details, it’s an enjoyable show in its own right.

Comment

Oh and nerd correction: there was a third captain of the Enterprise. Robert April was captain before Pike. But that doesn’t change your point in any way.
                          I had to look that up as I didn't know that character, turns out his only appearance was in the animated series which I've never watched. The search also revealed that Willard Decker captained NCC-1701 briefly too, until Kirk kicked him out of the captain's chair in the motion picture, which I'd completely forgotten about.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                            I had to look that up as I didn't know that character, turns out his only appearance was in the animated series which I've never watched. The search also revealed that Willard Decker captained NCC-1701 briefly too, until Kirk kicked him out of the captain's chair in the motion picture, which I'd completely forgotten about.
                            Oh yes, I had forgotten all about him too. Poor Decker. He never really got his time on the the Enterprise. Oh but then I think that actor turned out to be really dodgy so it’s probably for the best.

Comment

Oh yes, I had forgotten all about him too. Poor Decker. He never really got his time on the the Enterprise. Oh but then I think that actor turned out to be really dodgy so it’s probably for the best.
                              Was he going to be the captain in the original follow-up show, the one that was cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                                Was he going to be the captain in the original follow-up show, the one that was cancelled?
                                He was going to be first officer. Shatner was still going to be in it but Nimoy wasn’t so they had this guy as the first officer and a separate Vulcan character who sounds like he was going to be like Data in Next Gen - a full Vulcan who wanted to learn to be like humans.

Comment

Working...
                                X