User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Guys, guys, guys.....what's wrong with "Body Blows"?! You're scaring me!

Well, I understand both viewpoints, I think.....compared to console fighters it must have felt rather limited, but from an Amiga point of view it was probably pretty good. At least that's what I've heard....Amiga folks speaking fondly of it.

Since we are doing consoles only I won't be able to try out the initial version of the game, but of course I've got the Amiga CD32 here ready to go, and "Ultimate Body Blows" is one of four fighters for the system I have sitting here. I was really excited to try it out and without having played any of them so far I figured BB to be the second-best of those....but now you got me worried here.
    We'll see.

プレイステーション
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I3th Racing PSN ID: Mr_Karate
    Personally, I had access to “proper games”. My parents were very wealthy etc. You’ve all heard me say that a million times before...

These games that that you guys are talking about, well I’d love to have played them, but Street Fighter II... Is there actually a better game ever? SNK couldn’t compare for years. FF Special was the first time that they actually got it together.

I’m not well versed about Eternal Champions and the like, but in my day Street Fighter II and all of its derivatives ruled supreme, at least until KOF ‘96 came out. S/O Samurai Spirits because that was an awesome game and I lost out on a pair of NIKEs that are worth way more money now, but it was happy times.

It’s super cool that there are heads here who remember the good times. As much as our little forum is being spaced out, I remember when it was imports, but I applaud you lot for remembering.

Three and and a half Musashi Thumb’s Up!
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; Today at 07:47 AM.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

プレイステーション
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: I3th Racing PSN ID: Mr_Karate
    Secret fact. I’ve always preferred Shmups, but I don’t possess the concentration to be good at them.

I was super-****ing hot at SFII though, and that’s why fighters will always be my greatest love. Even though I play Souls derivatives nowadays.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

I was very close to an AES, and we were scrubbers. I went with a SNES instead because renting games was easier. It was probably the better decision in the end as I ended up playing many more games, one of which being Link to the Past which solidified my stance as a gamer and made me a part of the hobby forever. SF2 wasn't too bad on it at the end of the day.

I sometimes wonder where my head would be if I went with the AES, actually. I'd played Spectrum and NES games before but then only really became fascinated with arcade fighting games. Home console games were no longer of any real interest until SMW and LttP.

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Musashi View Post
    These games that that you guys are talking about, well Iíd love to have played them, but Street Fighter II... Is there actually a better game ever? SNK couldnít compare for years. FF Special was the first time that they actually got it together.
    It's interesting going back to those older games. Recently, I bought an arcade cabinet off the forum as break-room thing for my workplace, and filled it with a RetroPie setup.

Doing this has given me a chance to look at the 16-bit era of fighting games with fresh eyes, and I agree; I think SNK did amazing things with pixel art, and their games were certainly very fun to play, but in that earlier period, nothing they produced comes close to Street Fighter II in terms of simple playability.

It's hard to describe (which, I'm sure those of you who know me on here will guess, vexes me somewhat) but it just moves better. Art of Fighting and even Fatal Fury 3 all have this strange feel to their controls. They feel rigid, like you're always somehow fighting with the character as much as the opponent. Even Samurai Shodown suffers from this a bit; I think the reason the SS series is so highly regarded is that it has gameplay that derives from it, with very powerful moves and short combos, with extremely long "whiff" times and recovery for when people miss.

Iím not well versed about Eternal Champions and the like,
    Gonna ruffle some feathers here and say that when I think of Eternal Champions, I lump it in the same category which also contains Brutal: Paws of Fury, Kasumi Ninja and about 20 other bad fighting games. Not only do I think it hasn't stood the test of time; I thought it was bad even back then.

I struggle to think of western fighters that were truly good, if I'm honest.

Mortal Kombat was the exception, where the first two games were extremely playable, but I also feel they were like a joke which was funny when I was 11, and has now ran on much longer than it ever really should have. They worked because they really tried to do their own thing, from the ground up. Still, people love them and all power to them; I don't judge. They obviously have some appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by dataDave View Post
    I sometimes wonder where my head would be if I went with the AES, actually.
    I'm willing to bet you would've had maybe 2 games at most, and neither of them would've been one of the top-tier expensive titles. I speak as someone who was also pretty poor back then. The AES was a wonderful machine if you had the money and a taste for its games, no doubt, but let's face it - it was a console for the comparatively few working adults who were into games and the financially well-off.

The SNES & Megadrive were vastly superior machines in nearly every way that mattered to a kid in the 80s/90s. They each had a library of great, and most importantly varied games at a reasonable price.

I was told I could get a game at Christmas and a game for my birthday, and of course no other consoles. Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury Special would have lasted me a long, long time. Especially considering I'd have traded in SamSho1 for the sequel a year later.

There was also the issue of only having a 50hz portable TV. Even our living room TV didn't have a SCART socket.