Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was scary good with Guile back in the day.

Comment

I was rubbish with him, although I liked the range of his sweep kick on the second rotation.

Chun Li was my pick until I learned how to do hadokens, then it became Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
        I agree that it was a wonder for Street Fighter 2 to be ported to the SNES but have to say it was even more impressive when it eventually came to the Megadrive since the MD didn't have the SNES's mode 7 capabilities.
        SFII' on PCE trumps the MD port for technical achievement imho. An 8-bit machine really shouldn't be reproducing SFII to that standard/quality, even if the HuCard is 20 Megabits. Capcom really made the PCE sing.

In fact, SFII' PCE partly outshines the SNES port of World Warrior in that it has the barrel-breaking bonus stage and more SFX included (all of the announcer's samples, Dhalsim's elephants, etc.).

Comment

I agree that it was a wonder for Street Fighter 2 to be ported to the SNES but have to say it was even more impressive when it eventually came to the Megadrive since the MD didn't have the SNES's mode 7 capabilities.
          Mode 7 doesn't feature in SFII though.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
            Mode 7 doesn't feature in SFII though.
            Does make me think about which of the two machines, SNES or MD, was more suited to Street Fighter II as a whole. Like the SNES had fancy graphical effects but those weren't really used in games like this.

Comment

Guile was great besides Ken he was my favourite you could really relentlessly press the opposing player with Guile. I liked the Guile glitches in World Warrior but never figured out how to get out of the handcuffs. I remember SF2 fondly especially going to play it in the arcades after school every day.
              Short answer, you couldn't, so it was a great way to lock up the opponent if you had a life lead.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Guile was and is actually my favorite character. In the beginning I prefered Zangief, probably because he reminded me of Haggar so much, but after I while I switched over to Guile. Eh, I play all characters in every game anyway, but there's always one I like in particular.

Anyway, is there anybody here who could at least try to interpret Honda's stage? The group and I were just talking about it again recently. It's so strange!

Also, do you folks have any stages from SFII: World Warrior that you particularly like or dislike?

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                  Anyway, is there anybody here who could at least try to interpret Honda's stage? The group and I were just talking about it again recently. It's so strange!
                  It's in a sento, I think: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sent%C5%8D It's a kind of public bath-house.

Most people know about "onsen", which are Japanese hot-spring bathhouses, but sento are more numerous. Sometimes the terms are interchangeable; generally onsen use a natural spring and sento just use treated tap-water, but I don't think there's a legal defintion and certainly while I was there, I went to sento that were also onsen.

This isn't really something we have in the UK. Japanese attitudes to nudity (and most things that come with that) are different to in the west, because much of our attitude is shaped by our Judeo-Christian history, which considers nudity shameful. It's kinda interesting that Japanese are considered very reserved (I once heard a Korean refer to the Japanese as "the British of Asia"; reserved, island nation, military-centric history...) yet culturally, coworkers would visit onsen together, whereas I imagine many UK people would rather die than be seen naked by their office colleagues.

Also, onsen are amazing. You feel incredible the next day, and I think they're a must if you go there to do winter sports.

Comment

Thank you, that's very interesting!
                    However, it's not the fact that it's a bath house that we can't wrap our heads around but what's going in in the background after each round. I mean, seriously....wtf? I don't think they'd have huge LCD screens in bath houses, especially not around 1991...?

Comment

[MENTION=5393]joe[/MENTION] OK thanks I was sure the magazines at the time wrote that the SNES used mode 7 for the movement of the foreground.

[MENTION=2970]Nu-Eclipse[/MENTION] you're right about the PC Engine version being the biggest accomplishment but I always forget about that version.

[MENTION=368]Mayhem[/MENTION] I thought the handcuffs locked up the game once the timer ran out and the machine had to be reset? Or do you mean the opponent couldnt escape. I never knew how to release the opponent with Guile. Edit- it says here you can escape the handcuffs by doing the invisible throw / magic throw. I never knew that as I only knew the Guile freeze and handcuffs. I never knew the machine reset glitches either I think Dhalsim did one. I could Google them or check gamefaqs I guess.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Handcuff_Glitch

They have a video too.

[MENTION=16705]Samuray[/MENTION] I liked Ryu's stage a lot especially from the Champion Edition onwards and I like his stage music a lot. In fact I think the whole soundtrack is a work of genius as even after hearing each stage thousands of times I can still appreciate my favourites.
                      Last edited by monel; 17-04-2018, 18:05.

Comment

@Samuray I liked Ryu's stage a lot especially from the Champion Edition onwards and I like his stage music a lot. In fact I think the whole soundtrack is a work of genius as even after hearing each stage thousands of times I can still appreciate my favourites.
                        Polygon did a huge article about SF2 years ago, you'll like the music section: https://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history

Comment

Thanks Asura, I read that when it was published but hadn't seen it since. A great read.

Comment

I always seem to play as female characters in fighting games... hmmmm

So Chun-Li has always been my go to character, followed by Cammy and Balrog/Vega.

Comment

[I liked Ryu's stage a lot especially from the Champion Edition onwards and I like his stage music a lot. In fact I think the whole soundtrack is a work of genius as even after hearing each stage thousands of times I can still appreciate my favourites.
                              That's certainly true, and Ryu's stage is pretty awesome! I can't decide if I like evening or night better for this one!

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              Polygon did a huge article about SF2 years ago, you'll like the music section: https://www.polygon.com/a/street-fighter-2-oral-history
                              Wow, that looks fantastic! Thanks for the pointer!

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                              I always seem to play as female characters in fighting games... hmmmm
                              Funny....someone from our group has the same preference!

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                              So Chun-Li has always been my go to character, followed by Cammy and Balrog/Vega.
                              You're aware that Vega is a dude despite the voice, yes?

(All great choices, of course!)

Comment

I thought the handcuffs locked up the game once the timer ran out and the machine had to be reset? Or do you mean the opponent couldnt escape.
                                I meant the opponent couldn't escape here, yes, only the Guile player could release the lock from the handcuffs.
                                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                                X