Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this thread going to culminate in a playthrough of Unholy Night? Sorry, I know it’s rubbish but the game is somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me. I find it quite novel.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
      Is this thread going to culminate in a playthrough of Unholy Night? Sorry, I know it’s rubbish but the game is somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me. I find it quite novel.
      Oh no, it's gonna culminate in current gen fighting games....but that's gonna take a while.

Funny that you'd mention "Unholy Night"....not too long ago the group took a vote as to how to handle this. We had to decide whether to play it together with games from the PS4 generation because of its release date, or to make it the final SNES game we do, mostly because we were really curious to see it and it would make a nice ending point for the system.

We chose latter option, so please have just a little more patience, my dear Samanosuke.

Comment

Anyone post this before? Seeing as it attempts to list all pre-SFII fighters.

Sadly the formatting broke after the site was redesigned and switched to a CMS.

The WaybackArchive shows it properly:
        Last edited by Sketcz; 11-08-2018, 09:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
          Anyone post this before? Seeing as it attempts to list all pre-SFII fighters.
          https://hg101.kontek.net/fighters/fighters.htm
          That's very entertaining to check out, thank you!!!
          Too late to add any of those to our schedule, but still. There are quite a few I didn't know yet.

Anyway, let's continue!

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (SNES)

Yeah, so we’re at the next SF2 iteration, and I am tempted to say, the final one for us…..but there’s the one on 3DO and the HD Remix and the Switch one….so we’ll see about that.

For know, let’s have a look at this one. Everything seems more polished again, graphics seem a little bit cleaner somehow, and the music…does it sound a bit different? We seemed to think so. It does have a lot more MEGS than the other two, so maybe that’s why.

Much of the additional memory is used for those titular new challengers, of course. To absolutely no one’s surprise, Cammy was an immediate favorite of many of us, while one in our group very much likes to play as Fei Long. I like DeeJay the best, I think…he’s interesting, has cool pants and a winning smile. T.Hawk, on the other hand….I don’t know about him. Something puts me off, but I can’t really say what it is….

The new stages are all very nice, with DeeJay’s being the best one, we think. England looks very nice as well but….northern lights? Huh?!

T.Hawk’s stage is fantastic too....all those colors!!! Fei Long’s background looks nice, but for the longest time I had no idea what was going on there. SF2 is a semi-grounded game, why are all those monsters coming to life suddenly??

I recently learned that there is some amusement park in Hong Kong that has mechanized fantastic beings, so this is probably it. Neat!

Personally I like SSF2 the best of the three, to me it feels like a Deluxe Edition, but not everyone agrees: One member in particular has quickly developed a strong dislike for it and will refuse to play it…he likes „Turbo“ very much, but not this one. Something feels totally off for him, which I find puzzling, but alright. Others had no real opinion and saw benefits in both games.

However, in a way, our "Street Fighter II"-run ended with a whimper because apart from me liking SSF2 better, I also felt we "had" to play it for a bit to get more acquainted with the newcomers. The other dude though just couldn't get over his preference for "Turbo" und constantly voiced that....so I, for one, was glad when we went on to the next Capcom game.

(yeah, that's my finger in the photo...just noticed it, sorry about that)

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
            For know, let’s have a look at this one. Everything seems more polished again, graphics seem a little bit cleaner somehow, and the music…does it sound a bit different? We seemed to think so. It does have a lot more MEGS than the other two, so maybe that’s why.
            I haven't played the SNES version of Super for years, but I remember thinking the graphics looked less chunky than in Turbo, and the music sounded more compressed. So I thought it was inferior to Turbo. Maybe I'm mistaken? I do know I loved the Super Turbo on the 3DO, which despite a few details missing, was really impressive back in 1994.

Comment

I never really liked the presentation of SSF2. The tinny music and announcer really out me off. Plus the colours seemed more washed out and less aggressive. The game still plays great, of course, but I'll always prefer Turbo.

By the way, that SNES box is impressively mint

Comment

I never liked Super much at all compared to Turbo. It was a huge let down for me personally. That SNES box is mint but I didn't know the art was that terrible...

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                  I haven't played the SNES version of Super for years, but I remember thinking the graphics looked less chunky than in Turbo, and the music sounded more compressed. So I thought it was inferior to Turbo. Maybe I'm mistaken? I do know I loved the Super Turbo on the 3DO, which despite a few details missing, was really impressive back in 1994.
                  Alright alright, I'll acquire the 3DO version.....you win. :-p

So one more member for the Turbo > Super camp. Interesting!

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                  I never really liked the presentation of SSF2. The tinny music and announcer really out me off. Plus the colours seemed more washed out and less aggressive. The game still plays great, of course, but I'll always prefer Turbo.

By the way, that SNES box is impressively mint

It really is, now that you mention it. Probably because my childhood self only had SFII and SFIITurbo, and I had to buy SSFII only a few years ago, so it did not fall victim to my grubby kiddie fingers. (nah, I always took really good care of my games, but still)

Those "washed-out colors" actually make it seem a little more high-end to me...a rather pastelle color palette, if you will. That contributes to my feeling that this is a deluxe version of the game. Funny how different opinions can be.
                  So +2 for Turbo.

A big plus for Super, in my opinion, is the correct coloring of the clothes...Turbo has this really weird color scheme that hurts my eyes. Sure I can select the correct colors with some button, but for one pretty much no one of the others ever thinks of that and second, those are the Turbo colors.

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  I never liked Super much at all compared to Turbo. It was a huge let down for me personally. That SNES box is mint but I didn't know the art was that terrible...
                  +3 for Turbo! Wow...there's a pattern! +4 if you count my friend.

The artwork on the cover is very simple, but I gotta admit...I like it. It's really plain and frugal but a nice change of pace versus the usual characters on game boxes.

Comment

A big plus for Super, in my opinion, is the correct coloring of the clothes...Turbo has this really weird color scheme that hurts my eyes. Sure I can select the correct colors with some button, but for one pretty much no one of the others ever thinks of that and second, those are the Turbo colors.
                    Yeah, it's weird. I remember we used to jump to try and be the first to pick Ryu, because we all wanted to be the version with the dark grey gi and pale blue headband. I have absolutely no idea why.

Comment

Hang on a minute, are we comparing SSF2 to SSF2T or SSF2 to SF2T? I'm getting confused

In any case, i don't like the either of the Super games. Street Fighter 2 Turbo is the one for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                        Hang on a minute, are we comparing SSF2 to SSF2T or SSF2 to SF2T? I'm getting confused

In any case, i don't like the either of the Super games. Street Fighter 2 Turbo is the one for me.
                        I can only speak for myself, but as of right now I am not familiar with "Super Turbo" yet. Which will change in the future.

Comment

Alright alright, I'll acquire the 3DO version.....you win. :-p

I actually liked the big box version of this - it really made me excited to play the game. Great memories of the music pumping out of my stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                            I actually liked the big box version of this - it really made me excited to play the game. Great memories of the music pumping out of my stereo.
                            That's the one I'll have to get, since all my 3DO games are in longbox* plus it does look beautiful!

*(except for "FIFA Soccer" because it's PAL and back then doing mail order I had no idea PAL games looked different than my imported US ones; also "Crash 'n Burn' is only a jewel case because it was the pack-in game)

Comment

"Crash 'n Burn' is only a jewel case because it was the pack-in game)
                              I've actually changed my mind about the 3DO big/long boxes. I now think they're pretty cool in the way they're so over the top. I found my original long box Way of the Warrior the other day and thought it looked nice.

I just went on eBay to see how much the long box version of Crash N Burn is - and there is only one copy for £150. It's one of my favourite 3DO games that I still enjoy playing, but I'm not going to pay that much for an additional copy. I think I have two copies of the jewel case version that came with the machine. I remember being amazed by it back in the day, so I was really happy it was the pack-in game.

I wish they had made Crash N Burn 2, which could have pushed the machine further and been more polished.
                              Last edited by Leon Retro; 18-08-2018, 20:53.

Comment

ClayFighter (SNES)

This one I’ve been looking forward to a great deal!

Never got to play it as a kid but I was a huge fan of the screenshots. Those clay monsters going at each other seemed like a great idea, and even today I find the character designs very nice, at least some of them. Tiny, the stone monster, is just so-so, and the valkyrie is …well, she’s different, at least. But that murderous snowman, the blob, the creepy pumpkin and most of all, the taffy monster….very very cool.

My fighting migrated to the Neo Geo so I didn’t get the SNES cart until somewhat recently, but I was pretty excited to finally get to try this!

Ummm.

Yeah, so Taffy is still pretty sweet. no pun intended. The characters in general have a fresh and interesting look to them, but I have to admit….none of us was too convinced by the claymotion techniques or whatever they did. It’s not all that different from using rendered sprites like in „Donkey Kong Country“, is it?

The backgrounds aren’t really good either.

Gameplay is way slower than expected and a far cry from the likes of „Street Fighter II“ or „Fatal Fury 2“, but we were able to have some fun with it, if just for the strange atmosphere. What makes it more interesting is the notion that I’m sure many kids back then had this as their only fighting game, due to concerned parents who were unwilling to have SF2 in their home, let alone „Mortal Kombat“. So it’s a little hilarious but understandable that „ClayFighter“ promotes its violence-free gameplay right on the box!

Despite the visuals that haven’t aged all that great and the sluggish gameplay, we feel that playing this was worth it. We won’t be coming back to it but it was an interesting excursion!

Comment

Working...
                                X