Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It looked like they were trying to do something a bit different with Power Athlete so kudos for that. It also looked a bit boring so I won't be rushing out to play it. The Mega Drive version looked decent compared the SNES game, which is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
      It looked like they were trying to do something a bit different with Power Athlete so kudos for that. It also looked a bit boring so I won't be rushing out to play it. The Mega Drive version looked decent compared the SNES game, which is impressive.
      Well yeah...don't rush. But if you happen to come across a copy for 4 to 5 bucks, like I did, it's not a bad investment.

It's interesting to imagine being a kid with only an SNES and an appetite for fighters...in that case, games like these wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Only from today's perspective they seem really insignificant, but with an adjusted mindset I can see people spending more time with games like "Power Athelete". Not us, though, since we all know that good stuff is coming.

Anyway. I've never seen the MD version in action....maybe time to hit YouTube for once. Just like with the SNK games, it's really interesting to see what the port looks like. In any case, I find the different names of the game kind of hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
        It's interesting to imagine being a kid with only an SNES and an appetite for fighters...in that case, games like these wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
        The thing with the SNES is - once you'd played Street Fighter 2 Turbo, the bar was raised soooo high that most other fighters paled in comparison. The team behind Capcom's game knew how to get the most out of the SNES, so were obviously supremely talented. It was obvious that other developers just didn't have the skills to compete.

I remember Turtles Tournament Fighters from Konami being quite impressive though - and it played well. I haven't played it for quite a while though, so I need to go back to it and see if it lives up to my memories. Obviously, if someone doesn't like the Turtles theme, it will put them off the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
          I remember Turtles Tournament Fighters from Konami being quite impressive though - and it played well. I haven't played it for quite a while though, so I need to go back to it and see if it lives up to my memories. Obviously, if someone doesn't like the Turtles theme, it will put them off the game.
          I don't personally feel it does. For me, playing those old 2D fighters has really shown up the forgiving nature of memory. I played a number of them back in the day; the Turtles ones, were among them, but the main one was the Megadrive Fatal Fury, and I was convinced they were on par with SF2.

It's not so much that kids aren't discerning - I think - but rather that back then, I remember that I used to fixate on things; stuff I really liked about a game, which might be absurdly specific. Like in Fatal Fury, I liked Terry's special moves, the idea of his Power Wave which looked like the smart bomb attack in Streets of Rage. I could like those things more than all the stuff which negatively impacted the gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
            I but the main one was the Megadrive Fatal Fury, and I was convinced they were on par with SF2.
            I guess a little kid[10 and under] might have thought Fatal Fury was on par with something like SF2 Turbo, but I would think older, more discerning gamers would have felt FF felt quite clunky after playing Capcom's game.

As much as I didn't think Tournament Fighters was up there with SF2, it did impress me next to games like Dead Dance, Power Athlete, and other weak fighters for the SNES. Anyway, I will go back to it and see if it stands up today.

Comment

I remember quite liking Tournament Fighters... it’s not quite on the level of polish as SFII’ but it’s still a very good game, especially compared to many of the other blatant clones at the time. I’m talking the SNES version though, I’m sure the Megadrive version didn’t get as good reviews even though it had different characters?

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing is supposed to be another fun Super Famicom game that I’m looking forward to having a go at. Isn’t one of the Ranma 1/2 games quite highly rated too?

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                Mobile Suit Gundam Wing is supposed to be another fun Super Famicom game that I’m looking forward to having a go at.
                Yep, Endless Duel is very good. It's a bit clunky, but that works given the source material - it also looks and sounds wonderful. As far as the Gundam franchise goes videogame-wise, it's definitely above average, and I would say in the "definitely worth playing" camp. Plus if you're a Gundam Wing fan you'll love it.

Comment

The thing with the SNES is - once you'd played Street Fighter 2 Turbo, the bar was raised soooo high that most other fighters paled in comparison. The team behind Capcom's game knew how to get the most out of the SNES, so were obviously supremely talented. It was obvious that other developers just didn't have the skills to compete.

Ah, "Turtles"....yeah, after having played the Mega Drive version, we'll get to SNES soon as they are different games.

You're basically right that a gem like "SF2Turbo" raises the bar considerably...but still! I for one would gladly also play games that are not up to that level just for variation's sake. If I love a genre very much, I can very much enjoy mediocre games in it....goes for beat'em ups and shoot'em ups as well.

So many people just wanna play KOF98 and "Mark of the Wolves" on the Neo...and while we haven't reached those yet with our little group, I absolutely believe they are stunning. But I will ALWAYS like a round of "World Heroes", as well.

I don't personally feel it does. For me, playing those old 2D fighters has really shown up the forgiving nature of memory. I played a number of them back in the day; the Turtles ones, were among them, but the main one was the Megadrive Fatal Fury, and I was convinced they were on par with SF2.

It's not so much that kids aren't discerning - I think - but rather that back then, I remember that I used to fixate on things; stuff I really liked about a game, which might be absurdly specific. Like in Fatal Fury, I liked Terry's special moves, the idea of his Power Wave which looked like the smart bomb attack in Streets of Rage. I could like those things more than all the stuff which negatively impacted the gameplay.
                  That's a really cool observation, and yeah, I can relate with that! For example, I was incredible fascinated with the details of the character's clothing in "Fatal Fury" that this feature alone made me appreciate this game totally on its own. I was aware that "Street Fighter II" played better, in a way, but boy, didn't I care. ...and had loads of fun with these other games (namely those first three Neo Geo fighters).

I guess a little kid[10 and under] might have thought Fatal Fury was on par with something like SF2 Turbo, but I would think older, more discerning gamers would have felt FF felt quite clunky after playing Capcom's game.

As much as I didn't think Tournament Fighters was up there with SF2, it did impress me next to games like Dead Dance, Power Athlete, and other weak fighters for the SNES. Anyway, I will go back to it and see if it stands up today.

Please do! Ideally, please report back in a short while once we tackle the game in this thread. Won't be long!

I remember quite liking Tournament Fighters... it’s not quite on the level of polish as SFII’ but it’s still a very good game, especially compared to many of the other blatant clones at the time. I’m talking the SNES version though, I’m sure the Megadrive version didn’t get as good reviews even though it had different characters?

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing is supposed to be another fun Super Famicom game that I’m looking forward to having a go at. Isn’t one of the Ranma 1/2 games quite highly rated too?
                  Guys, chill! "Turtles" is coming up as well as "Gundam"!

Yeah, the Mega Drive "Turtles" felt kinda lacking....see earlier in this thread. But it has some good features, not a bad game at all.

Yep, Endless Duel is very good. It's a bit clunky, but that works given the source material - it also looks and sounds wonderful. As far as the Gundam franchise goes videogame-wise, it's definitely above average, and I would say in the "definitely worth playing" camp. Plus if you're a Gundam Wing fan you'll love it.
                  Yeah yeah yeah, we're getting to that! Gotta hurry!

Nah, seriously, can't wait to see "Endless Duel"....screens on the back of the box look stunning.

I better get moving here, it seems:

World Heroes 2 (NEO GEO)

This is just as big an improvement as „Fatal Fury 2“ was. Well, maybe not quite as much, but pumping up the roster from 8 to a whopping 14 characters sure was impressive back then, and therefore WH2 is the game with the biggest cast for us so far.

The franchise’s biggest strength is the setting, of course, which allows for a wonderful selection of fighters. The new additions are all nicely realized, with the kickboxer Shura being the least interesting one of the bunch. His stage does have a cat, though!

Anyway, Mudman is particularly fascinating with his mixture of silly and slightly creepy behavior. You really wonder what his story is. The American Football player, J. Maximum, makes up for his boring name with those glowing red eyes under the helmet as well as his nickname *killing machine‘…who wouldn’t love that? His stage is fantastic, by the way, with a slum-like alleyway and the glittering lights of the city in the far background.

The judo queen Ryoko is great and a joy to play, while Erik and Captain Kidd bring lots of color to the roster, especially with their imaginative special moves. Shark Knuckle!!!!

Gameplay has also been improved, it feels more direct and being able to counter a throw is great fun.

However, it’s not all for the better. Personally I feel the first „World Heroes“ just ….looks better. Anyone with me? It’s hard to put my finger on it but somehow the characters look ….more shaded? The stages have a slightly more realistic tone to them, at least, with WH2 having more of a comic aesthetic with more of a flat look.

But it’s still a great game we had a lot of fun with, of course! People awarded it with 4 and 5 kitties mostly, while I see it at a healthy 3,5. Still like SNK’s own games better, but this plays smoother.

Oh….one thing that really REALLY irks me is Dragon. Or KIM Dragon, as he is now called. WTF? He was basically Bruce Lee in the first game, but then ADK decided to make him Korean? Why?!

Seriously, why? Any theories would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post

But it’s still a great game we had a lot of fun with, of course! People awarded it with 4 and 5 kitties mostly, while I see it at a healthy 3,5. Still like SNK’s own games better, but this plays smoother.
                    I'd probably award it a 4. The graphics are really impressive, there are some stirring tunes, and it plays really well. I like how it offers a nice alternative to the Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown games, because it has its own style and vibe.

Comment

Just wanted to say, as although it's a bit of a tangent it's sort-of relevant...

I played the SNES Turtles scrolling fighter this week for the first time in many years, and I'd forgotten something amusing about it.

The game is on the SNES, a console with a pad that has 8 buttons overall.

The game has three commands; attack, jump, and special attack.

For which there is a jump button, an attack button... And to do the special you press both of those at the same time.

The other 2 face buttons and shoulder buttons are unused. There are four additional buttons, and they put the special attack on a two-button command!

I mean, I get why they did it; presumably to ape their arcade forbear which in turn was modelled on Final Fight which used a similar system, but come on...

It just seemed emblematic of how retro games can, at times, seem almost deliberately obtuse.

Comment

Isn’t one of the Ranma 1/2 games quite highly rated too?
                        Presumably you're referring to Chougi Rambuhen, which although a lot better than the previous Ranma fighters, does not stack up well against SF2. The limited moveset, floaty jumps, forgettable music and strange aesthetics (sparse backgrounds & big, thick lines around the character sprites) make this one for fans of the source material rather than fans of fighting games in general.

With respect to Fatal Fury on the MD, I always knew it was a poor man's SF2 - I think I was about 14 when it came out - but I still liked it as it was the closest MD owners had to SF2 prior to the release of SF2: SCE. It was certainly a lot better than the copycat titles for the system at the time. And I still love the percussion on the BGM for Pao Pao Cafe stage!

I think in terms of fighters that stand up to SF2 for the SNES, there aren't any that reach the same level, I would argue FF2 almost does but I much prefer the original Neo version and even the MD port I find more palatable than the SNES version. Again, I prefer Takara's MD version of Samurai Shodown over the SNES version so I would not consider the SNES version as worthy. No, for me, the only game I can think of is one which doesn't imitate but adds its own style entirely, and that is Dragonball Z: Hyper Dimension.

Comment

Just wanted to say, as although it's a bit of a tangent it's sort-of relevant...

I played the SNES Turtles scrolling fighter this week for the first time in many years, and I'd forgotten something amusing about it.

For which there is a jump button, an attack button... And to do the special you press both of those at the same time.

The other 2 face buttons and shoulder buttons are unused. There are four additional buttons, and they put the special attack on a two-button command!

I mean, I get why they did it; presumably to ape their arcade forbear which in turn was modelled on Final Fight which used a similar system, but come on...

It just seemed emblematic of how retro games can, at times, seem almost deliberately obtuse.
                          Anyone who's ever tried to pick up a weapon in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns will feel your pain.
                          Last edited by BigDeadFreak; 24-06-2018, 08:57.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            No, for me, the only game I can think of is one which doesn't imitate but adds its own style entirely, and that is Dragonball Z: Hyper Dimension.
                            Gundam Wing: Endless Duel also offers something different away from Street Fighter 2 style experiences- and is technically very accomplished. It's also fun to play.

Comment

Gundam Wing: Endless Duel also offers something different away from Street Fighter 2 style experiences- and is technically very accomplished. It's also fun to play.
                              I second this, great game and that little bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by WORLD HEROES 2
                                Haven't talked about the stages yet!

Most of them are really nice and interesting, although nowhere near the pure art that SNK does.

I particular like:

JAPAN 1, that dark bamboo forst is nice.
                                USA 2: This gloomy alley with that sparkling night skyline in the background - perfection!
                                USA 1: That construction site is a cool idea, but I found it silly even as a kid that the digger has a WH2 logo.
                                JAPAN 3: That cherry blossom thing might be cliché, but damn, it looks fantastic!!! Also nice to see Ryoko's judo companions in the background.
                                KOREA: I always like urban scenes and this is no exception.
                                FRANCE: Great colors!

I'm not too fond of:

MONGOLIA: A bit ...boring this time around, no?
                                GERMANY: Those searchlights are ridiculous, and that huge brickwall is lame as ****, tank notwithstanding. This is a far cry from that cool elevator stage in WH1.
                                THAILAND: The temple is fine and cats make absolutely everything better, but those monks are a bit too silly for my taste.

I'd probably award it a 4. The graphics are really impressive, there are some stirring tunes, and it plays really well. I like how it offers a nice alternative to the Fatal Fury and Samurai Showdown games, because it has its own style and vibe.
                                It definitely has. Personally I find the visuals far less impressive than SNK's fare of that time, but still, I wouldn't want to miss the "World Heroes" games for anything.

While that is certainly true, I am not sure that was the reason. For some people it may just feel simpler to just press both of the buttons they're using anyway.

In "Samurai Shodown", I think that the hard attacks feel much fiercer, have more ooomph, by pressing two buttons at once.

With respect to Fatal Fury on the MD, I always knew it was a poor man's SF2 - I think I was about 14 when it came out - but I still liked it as it was the closest MD owners had to SF2 prior to the release of SF2: SCE. It was certainly a lot better than the copycat titles for the system at the time. And I still love the percussion on the BGM for Pao Pao Cafe stage!

Really gotta play that port one day.

I think in terms of fighters that stand up to SF2 for the SNES, there aren't any that reach the same level, I would argue FF2 almost does but I much prefer the original Neo version and even the MD port I find more palatable than the SNES version. Again, I prefer Takara's MD version of Samurai Shodown over the SNES version so I would not consider the SNES version as worthy. No, for me, the only game I can think of is one which doesn't imitate but adds its own style entirely, and that is Dragonball Z: Hyper Dimension.

Uh, "Dragonball" is not really my thing so I don't know the game...but glad to hear it was apparently decent. Not part of our list, though.

It's really interesting that the MD ports seem superior to SNES. Would have guessed it the other way around.

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                                Anyone who's ever tried to pick up a weapon in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns will feel your pain.

Why? What's up with that?

Originally posted by dyer60 View Post
                                I second this, great game and that little bit different.
                                Gettin' to that....!

Comment

Working...
                                X