Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well aside from not having the system, I would never have bought a sequel.

Comment

I remember thinking Killer Instinct was too much like Mortal Kombat(a game I don't like) so I decided not to buy it, despite the fanfare. A friend of mine bought it though, so I played it a few times. I thought it was impressive how they got it running on the SNES.

After that -- I played the N64 version, which I thought was rubbish. The graphics didn't impress me at all.

Comment

X-Men: Children of the Atom (Saturn)

So we've finally arrived at what Capcom is going to become. The visual style was already established by "Darkstalkers" but now we have the superhero theme that will leave its huge mark on Capcom's fighting games to come.

X-Men. All right. I have to admit I'm not big on Marvel stuff...don't really mind it and I know a few characters, but I'm far from an expert or even a fan. Saw that X-Men film decades ago and wasn't that impressed, but anyway, this can still potentially be a fun game.

After the onslaught of characters from "The King of Fighters" it's almost refreshing to be back to a relatively small number, i.e. just ten. Those look sufficently interesting and make good use of colors, but I only know...let's see....Wolverine. That's not a lot.
        I guess Storm was in the film, or Psylocke....but I don't really remember. Anyway, Wolverine sure looks different than I imagined, but that's probably his original comic book appearence. Dare I say it...? Looks a bit cheesy. ^^

On to the fighting. We were pretty impressed by the stages! There are a few of them with a lot of stuff going on, for example the iceberg at the palm beach or the battle,on the bridge that ends up breaking down which moves the fight to a totally different scenario, which was awesome!

Gameplay feels tight and the characters are as interesting to play as they look, Spiral in particular. We had a lot of fun and the art style is a great continuation from "Darkstalkers" and goes really well with the comic book/ superhero theme.

One member of our group was surprised at how many locations felt familiar to him, despite him not being a huge X-Men fanatic either. This shows how thoughtful the stages were designed.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
          Anyway, Wolverine sure looks different than I imagined, but that's probably his original comic book appearence. Dare I say it...? Looks a bit cheesy. ^^
          Well, it's an old fashioned design that's very much within the context of old school comic books having colourful characters. I find the designs very striking and attractive.

On to the fighting. We were pretty impressed by the stages! There are a few of them with a lot of stuff going on, for example the iceberg at the palm beach or the battle,on the bridge that ends up breaking down which moves the fight to a totally different scenario, which was awesome!
          Yeah, the stages are very impressive and really add a lot to the experience. Felt really awesome back in the day.

Gameplay feels tight and the characters are as interesting to play as they look,
          Such well crafted gameplay with meaty action that's very satisfying. Still a lot of fun to play these days.

Comment

Working...
          X