Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jaleco handled the ports, and they seemed better suited to the MD.

Comment

In order to catch up with the games we're currently playing, I'll continue...but feel free to add anything about "Fatal Fury" if you like!

World Heroes (NEO GEO)

Not made by SNK themselves but by Alpha Denshi, this still is a very solid game.

It plays a lot smoother than „Fatal Fury“ and feels quite close to „Street Fighter II“. Most characters being carbon copies of the SFII cast helps with that, too. ^^

But that doesn’t matter if the game is good, and - it is! The silly time travel story doesn’t matter in versus mode, instead it provides us with interesting characters and stages! I remember that as a kid before I got the game and only knew a few screenshots, I always wondered if Hanzo was carrying a nightstick or a short sword with him, and if that wouldn’t make the fights unfair. Yeah, Janne - got anything to say about that?

The death matches with those dangerous arenas are a fun alternative, but the regular stages are pretty good as well, although clearly not on the same level as SNK’s work. I always loved Hanzo’s stage, especially the floor tiles for whatever reason, and also Dragon’s stage is really nice. Generally speaking the floors in this game look rather hi-res….no idea why, but it sure is nice.

Muscle Power is a fun character to play, while Dragon is a …little bit overpowered, it seems. But hey, who doesn’t like a challenge.

Can someone explain Janne’s stage to us? France, I mean? Why are there cars driving around, albeit old ones? And why the hell is she fighting in front of a circus? The background is nice, and it has cats (lions), but we couldn’t wrap our heads around this.

One member of our club really loves it and judged it with 5/5 while I and the others thought it’s more of a 3-kitty-game. But a fun one we played for many nights to come! It’s story/ background and atmosphere are certainly unique.

Last edited by QualityChimp; 23-04-2018, 10:02. Reason: Changed virusy picture

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        I played Fatal Fury on the Mega Drive back in something like 1993. It was the best I could do at the time. I don't remember much, but me and my friends got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it before returning to SFII Turbo.
        Back in the day, I was convinced that Fatal Fury was better than SF2; though that might've been because I knew it was related to Art of Fighting which I also believed was better than SF2. I was wrong on both counts, though I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Back in the day, I was convinced that Fatal Fury was better than SF2; though that might've been because I knew it was related to Art of Fighting which I also believed was better than SF2. I was wrong on both counts, though I was a kid.
          I never thought either of those games were better, although I did think that Samurai Shodown was. I might’ve been right.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
            I never thought either of those games were better, although I did think that Samurai Shodown was. I might’ve been right.
            It was just because they were visually interesting, and I never saw them in a compromised form. My introduction to Street Fighter II was via the Amiga version. Hell, I thought Body Blows was better than SF2, which is only reasonable if you consider it through the Amiga-centric lens.

My local arcade had a range of MVS Neo cabs, so the games rotated in and out, but these were the only way I got to experience games like Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury. In their uncompromised state, they obviously blew the Amiga version of SF2 away.

Later they got a Street Fighter II: Championship Edition machine, and I was more willing to give it the time of day, but it was a while before I came around to the idea of it being the superior game overall.

Also worth bearing in mind that back then, I still considered King of the Monsters to be a fighting game, so I wasn't exactly discerning.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
              You probably all know that the dude who made the original „Street Fighter“ went to SNK and made „Fatal Fury: King of Fighters“, which therefore is the true sequel to SF1.
              Say what now?
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                Say what now?
                He means that in a sense, Fatal Fury 1 is a spiritual follow-up to Street Fighter, whereas Street Fighter II was made in part by the team who made Final Fight. I mean Fatal Fury is similar to Street Fighter with its story-driven single-player and limited selection of characters. In some respects Art of Fighting is more like Street Fighter than Street Fighter II.

I still think it'd be wrong to term FF as some kind of "true sequel" though.

Comment

I don't see how Fatal Fury is more similar to Street Fighter than Street Fighter II is personally. Neither title is any more story-driven than the other, and no more or less so than Street Fighter.

In fact I see more similarities in Street Fighter and Spartan X than in Fatal Fury. Ryu moves in an almost identical way to Thomas.
                  Last edited by J0e Musashi; 23-04-2018, 09:22.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

[MENTION=16705]Samuray[/MENTION], I swapped the World Heroes screenshot as my browser was having a fit over the host of the pic you posted because it has loads of virus warnings.

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post

You know...let's just be happy we got ALL those games. Ultimately it's not about which one is better, as that may depend on objective factors as much as one's mood that day. They're all really cool games, I'm sure we can agree on that.
                      But the discussion is interesting, of course, and therefore:

It was just because they were visually interesting, and I never saw them in a compromised form. My introduction to Street Fighter II was via the Amiga version. Hell, I thought Body Blows was better than SF2, which is only reasonable if you consider it through the Amiga-centric lens.

My local arcade had a range of MVS Neo cabs, so the games rotated in and out, but these were the only way I got to experience games like Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury. In their uncompromised state, they obviously blew the Amiga version of SF2 away.

Later they got a Street Fighter II: Championship Edition machine, and I was more willing to give it the time of day, but it was a while before I came around to the idea of it being the superior game overall.

Also worth bearing in mind that back then, I still considered King of the Monsters to be a fighting game, so I wasn't exactly discerning.
                      Oh yes, "King of the Monsters". I only had part 2 and got the first one much, much later....just a few years ago, in fact. I always considered them....uh....a mixture between beat'em up, action game and wrestling, I suppose. Graphics of KOTM2 are ace!

Anyway, I agree that the early Neo Geo games are so much more flashy, or just plain pretty, than "Street Fighter II", which has smoother gameplay than at least the early Neo Geo triumvirate of fighters. Especially on a young impressionable mind this is bound to leave a trace! I think I realized that SF2 felt more refinded in a way but I think I had even more fun with the early Neo Geo games, just because of the constant WOW.

Say what now?
                      Well, the remark was tongue in cheek, but....

He means that in a sense, Fatal Fury 1 is a spiritual follow-up to Street Fighter, whereas Street Fighter II was made in part by the team who made Final Fight. I mean Fatal Fury is similar to Street Fighter with its story-driven single-player and limited selection of characters. In some respects Art of Fighting is more like Street Fighter than Street Fighter II.

I still think it'd be wrong to term FF as some kind of "true sequel" though.
                      .....I DO feel that FF feels like SF1 much more than it is similar to SF2. If I am not mistaken they were developed at the same time so everyone saying SNK was planning on riding the SF2 wave wouldn't be entirely correct, or at least off by a few months/ games.

I don't see how Fatal Fury is more similar to Street Fighter than Street Fighter II is personally. Neither title is any more story-driven than the other, and no more or less so than Street Fighter.

In fact I see more similarities in Street Fighter and Spartan X than in Fatal Fury. Ryu moves in an almost identical way to Thomas.
                      I hadn't considered "Spartan X" at all, I must admit. Never even played it! Well, I have and have played "Kung Fu" on NES if that's close enough.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      [MENTION=16705]Samuray[/MENTION], I swapped the World Heroes screenshot as my browser was having a fit over the host of the pic you posted because it has loads of virus warnings.
                      Uh, what?! Thank you, and sorry about that! I didn't get any warning on my iPad.

Comment

I had Body Blows on the Amiga. Jesus, that game was terrible. I'd played a bit of Street Fighter 2 in the arcades and sucked at it but I knew it was miles ahead of the embarrassing Amiga port. Then a friend copied me Body Blows and gaming sank to a whole new level.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                          Anyway, I agree that the early Neo Geo games are so much more flashy, or just plain pretty, than "Street Fighter II", which has smoother gameplay than at least the early Neo Geo triumvirate of fighters. Especially on a young impressionable mind this is bound to leave a trace! I think I realized that SF2 felt more refinded in a way but I think I had even more fun with the early Neo Geo games, just because of the constant WOW.
                          I dunno, I always thought that it was the vivid graphics and character design that stood out with SF2. Some of the early Neo Geo games clearly benefited from the horse power of the machine but the graphics lacked the individuality of Street Fighter 2. They seemed to lack personality in comparison, something that only developed later on in the Neo Geo's lifespan.

When comparing SF2 to what else was around at the time, characters like Dhalsim, Blanka and Vega/Balrog really stood out. They weren't just the usual mix of martial artists, wrestlers and girls that all the other games had.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
                            I had Body Blows on the Amiga. Jesus, that game was terrible. I'd played a bit of Street Fighter 2 in the arcades and sucked at it but I knew it was miles ahead of the embarrassing Amiga port. Then a friend copied me Body Blows and gaming sank to a whole new level.
                            I dunno. Games are about more than their best elements.

Body Blows was a sub-par fighter, but then, we were in an era where the mean average fighting game was borderline unplayable, with fiddly controls that barely worked.

Body Blows, by those standards, was a pretty good game. It also had other positives specific to the Amiga; it came on one disc and loaded quickly (SF2 came on multiple discs which split the backgrounds and fighters up, meaning you often had to swap discs between matches), and it was built from the ground-up to be good with one-button controls (SF2, naturally, was a port of a six-button game, and most Amiga joysticks only had 1 or 2 buttons at the time).

Looking back on it now, or if you had a console, it was easy to knock it. It's mediocre at best. However, mediocrity is at least better than ineptness.

Comment

Sorry to be pedantic...

IIRC Body Blows came on four discs and was a PitA swapping between rounds.

Body Blows Galactic came on two discs, and once the game had loaded up properly it would only need the second disc. It played a little better as well.

In retrospect both were ****e, but I get where you’re coming from in that they were both a lot better than the appallingly bad SF2 port.

Comment

I dunno. Games are about more than their best elements.

Body Blows was a sub-par fighter, but then, we were in an era where the mean average fighting game was borderline unplayable, with fiddly controls that barely worked.

Body Blows, by those standards, was a pretty good game. It also had other positives specific to the Amiga; it came on one disc and loaded quickly (SF2 came on multiple discs which split the backgrounds and fighters up, meaning you often had to swap discs between matches), and it was built from the ground-up to be good with one-button controls (SF2, naturally, was a port of a six-button game, and most Amiga joysticks only had 1 or 2 buttons at the time).

Looking back on it now, or if you had a console, it was easy to knock it. It's mediocre at best. However, mediocrity is at least better than ineptness.
                                I don't remember having to load SF2 that much but I'm sure you're right, it was many moons ago so the memory is pretty hazy.

I always felt with Body Blows that it was clearly trying hard but just fell so short. It just felt a but pointless because it was clearly so far behind the becent fighters that it was hard to see what they were trying to achieve. Although compared to Rise of the Robots it was gaming gold.

Comment

Working...
                                X