Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ongoing project] Playing all versus fighters - chronologically!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
    While that is certainly true, I am not sure that was the reason. For some people it may just feel simpler to just press both of the buttons they're using anyway.

In "Samurai Shodown", I think that the hard attacks feel much fiercer, have more ooomph, by pressing two buttons at once.
    Although I can see why that might be the case, Shodown is an interesting counterpoint as the NeoGeo games are the opposite - they only had four buttons, so they had to double-up to have enough functions on many games.

Comment

Personally I've never liked the doubling up in some Neo Geo fighters. I think 4 buttons is more than enough for a fighting game. I think they were just trying to copy Capcom and had the mindset that more is better.

I'm sure that some hardcore Street Fighter players will tell me that reducing the button count to 4 would ruin the game. However, I think the set up in KoF is perfect for a 2D fighter. 6 buttons is just a fiddly mess.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDeadFreak View Post
        I'm sure that some hardcore Street Fighter players will tell me that reducing the button count to 4 would ruin the game. However, I think the set up in KoF is perfect for a 2D fighter. 6 buttons is just a fiddly mess.
        It does affect the game; however, I don't disagree with your assertion that you can make a perfectly good fighter with 4 buttons.

Street Fighter is an unusual example because it made very good use of the 6-button layout; it wasn't just about strength - many of the medium attacks have slightly different properties which are useful in certain scenarios.

Comment

I much prefer 4 buttons over 6, but I still use the SFII layout over the SNK one. So I have my stick set up to

A C
          B D which for most of the fighters is

LP HP
          LK HK and then I just have to switch B and C over in the options for the Last Blades.

I was mildly disappointed to find Skull Girls had just defaulted to the SFII layout instead of trying something a bit different. Oh well, back to Marvel vs Capcom...

Comment

Personally I've never liked the doubling up in some Neo Geo fighters. I think 4 buttons is more than enough for a fighting game. I think they were just trying to copy Capcom and had the mindset that more is better.

Yeah, I'm not so sure....really divided on that one.

Four buttons are totally fine, on the one hand, but I really do use all six when playing a Capcom game. It lends a little more ...finesse? to the game.

Ah, I really don't mind. I DO enjoy those hard slashes in "Samurai Shodown", though.

Comment

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Warriors (SNES)

The second and final „Turtles“ game in our rotation, as I don’t have the NES one. As you can infer by the title we played the Japanese version, the PAL-„Turtles“ is called „Tournament Fighters“ just like on the Mega Drive. The reasons for me buying the Super Famicom version of the game is A, I like the title better because it’s different; B, it was really cheap, like 10$, and C, it’s uncensored! Yes, the US and PAL variants put a bit more clothing on Aska! We can’t have that, can we?!?

To make a potentially long story short: We all found „Mutant Warriors“ leaps and bounds better than the MD variation. The graphics look REALLY nice and colorful, the four button controls feel pretty good, and all in all it just seems like a clearly superior game, at least to us.

Also the Turtles mood is captivated quite well, with lots of speech samples and imaginative stages. Thankfully those are more down to earth this time while the Mega Drive game took place in some far away solar system. Yes, we still get a giant kraken, but that’s awesome!

Like with most fighting games, I absolutely love the urban stages. The back alley looks fantastic and so does the junkyard! That city skyline at night with the billboard in front is also very nice.

It’s a bit of a shame there has never been another Turtles fighting game…the source material would lend itself to that so well.

„Mutant Warriors“ scored 3, 4 and 5 kitties so it’s clearly a game well above average. Highly recommended!

Comment

It’s a shame that there was never a tweaked, expanded arcade version or SNES sequel with more characters like Splinter, Casey Jones, Foot Ninja, a Triceraton....

Comment

the US and PAL variants put a bit more clothing on Aska! We can’t have that, can we?!?

Mutant Warriors“ scored 3, 4 and 5 kitties so it’s clearly a game well above average. Highly recommended!
                  I agree with everything you wrote about this great game. Definitely a 4 kitties game in my book.

Comment

Art of Fighting 2 (NEO GEO)

This one feels a lot less „basic“ in regards to the versus mode compared to it predecessor. Having more characters helps, of course, and the newcomers are pretty cool!

Temjin looks quite unique and has a refreshingly good spirit, and his harbor stage is very nice. Eiji Kisaragi is fascinating because unlike Hanzo and Fuuma, he really does look like a classic Ninja! Ryuji Todo was replaced with Mr. Big which is okay since he played really stiff and Big is bringing his tonfa sticks. Having the abducted sister from part 1 as a playable character sure was a surprise, and Yuri’s stage is highly memorable for its music alone! And finally there’s Daddy Sakazaki, Mr. Karate from the first „Art of Fighting“….Takuma. Of course he’s using the same karate style like Ryo and Robert, but he feels so heavy and powerful….it’s interesting SNK was able to make all users of the kyokugen style feel so different! Yuri belongs in that group as well, of course.

Controls seem to be greatly improved and gameplay has become much more fun due to this. The backgrounds are again outstanding, which in combination with the huge characters creates a very impressive look for „Art of Fighting 2“. The airport has to be mentioned, but so does the gloomy Dream Amusement Park at Halloween and the gritty boxing gym of Micky. My favorite stage is the karate dojo of Takuma, though, as it looks so wonderfully lived in. Close second would be Mac’s Bar, this time from the outside.

What I find interesting is that the color palette seems a tiny little bit lighter than with AOF1, or am I imagining things here? While being a gorgeous game through and through I can’t help but feel that the first one looks a little bit more high-quality due to darker, more nuanced colors. Or maybe I’m crazy.

People really liked this one, with 3.5 kitties being the lowest score and 4.5 being the highest. Gameplay didn’t FULLY appeal to everyone but we all think this is a fantastic game with high production values!

Comment

People really liked this one, with 3.5 kitties being the lowest score and 4.5 being the highest. Gameplay didn’t FULLY appeal to everyone but we all think this is a fantastic game with high production values!
                      It's much better than the first game. I really like the overall design, with the graphics and sound being good quality. It still feels quite clunky, but there's something satisfying about the bone-crunching action. 3.5 kities from me.

Comment

Art of Fighting 2 (NEO GEO)

It's interesting what you say about the kyokugen fighters all feeling different. It's a subtle difference but there's a tangible nuance to Ryu, Robert, Takuma and Yuri. It took Capcom a lot longer to make the shotokan fighters feel distinct.

I still haven't got round to playing the first game in the series but it seems a near universal consensus that the second one is better. However, the second still feels a bit too stiff and lacks fluidity. I like the graphics (although it could do with a bit more animation) and the backgrounds are great.

What kills it for me is the CPU difficulty. It's just ludicrous and pretty much ruins the game. I come back to it every now and then, stick it on the lowest difficulty and give it a go but it's always the same. It's not just that it's too hard, the whole thing feels unfair, like the CPU is just reading your moves and there's nothing you can do about it. I've tried following guides online that tell you how to beat each character but this just makes the whole thing robotic and boring. It certainly seems impossible to play it like a conventional fighter.

It's a shame because I like the game in a lot of ways but it's just not fun in 1 player.

Comment

What kills it for me is the CPU difficulty. It's just ludicrous and pretty much ruins the game. I come back to it every now and then, stick it on the lowest difficulty and give it a go but it's always the same. It's not just that it's too hard, the whole thing feels unfair, like the CPU is just reading your moves and there's nothing you can do about it. I've tried following guides online that tell you how to beat each character but this just makes the whole thing robotic and boring. It certainly seems impossible to play it like a conventional fighter.
                          It's like the first one in that regard then; the first is really difficult.

I understand it's supposed to be more like a solo game than a versus game, insofar as there's a method to beat every fighter and you need to exploit it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post

I understand it's supposed to be more like a solo game than a versus game, insofar as there's a method to beat every fighter and you need to exploit it.
                            I've read it described as like a series of boss fighters in a traditional shooter. You look for the pattern of attack and then work out how to exploit their vulnerability. It's almost like the game looks and sounds like a traditional 1 on 1 fighter but plays like something completely different. It's an interesting concept but it just doesn't do it for me.

Comment

Back from my vacation!

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              It's much better than the first game. I really like the overall design, with the graphics and sound being good quality. It still feels quite clunky, but there's something satisfying about the bone-crunching action. 3.5 kities from me.
                              "Satisfying" is a really good way to put it. Sure, there are fighters that definitely feel better to play...lots of'em, probably. But AOF2 is something special.

AOF1 will always have a special place in my heart, but for multiplayer in particular the sequel is leaps and bounds ahead.

It's interesting what you say about the kyokugen fighters all feeling different. It's a subtle difference but there's a tangible nuance to Ryu, Robert, Takuma and Yuri. It took Capcom a lot longer to make the shotokan fighters feel distinct.
                              Hmm....it probably did, yes! We're not too far in Capcom territory yet but it's a fascinating comparison.

I still haven't got round to playing the first game in the series but it seems a near universal consensus that the second one is better. However, the second still feels a bit too stiff and lacks fluidity. I like the graphics (although it could do with a bit more animation) and the backgrounds are great.
                              They are, aren't they? Which ones do you like best?

Haven't really missed any animations so far but then again, we haven't played AOF3 yet.

It's a shame because I like the game in a lot of ways but it's just not fun in 1 player.

Dude, whacha doing?!? This is a multiplayer game through and through! Come on, plane tickets aren't that expensive anymore nowadays....next round is on August 4!

No, but seriously....I agree, the single player mode is not a lot of fun. Perhaps it can be when you really get into it, but for casual fighting folks like us....nah, no way.

Originally posted by Asura View Post

That goes for AOF2 as well? Always thought that's what was being said of the first one.

Anyway, I can beat AOF1 but only because I played it so much when I was a kid. Man, that game was impressive!!! When I got AOF2 we only did multiplayer, though.

I've read it described as like a series of boss fighters in a traditional shooter. You look for the pattern of attack and then work out how to exploit their vulnerability. It's almost like the game looks and sounds like a traditional 1 on 1 fighter but plays like something completely different. It's an interesting concept but it just doesn't do it for me.
                              That's fascinating, and it also reminds me a little of the "Senko no Ronde" series which also mixes fighters with shmups, but with a vastly different result.

Anyway, "Art of Fighting 2" is really really good in versus mode.....can't you guys grab a friend, your spouse or the mailman and give it a try?

Comment

Golden Fighter (SNES)

What a strange game!

We expected some standard versus matches, but instead we go enigmatic Japanese menus and game modes that seem to be …different, I don’t know. Not once we had the feeling of playing a normale versus match….there’s always some irritating factor around. There seem to be character stats or RPG elements, and during the match we have absolutely no idea what we’re doing.

It looks okay, and I like it when martial arts matches take place in boxing rings. Well, if that makes up one stage of several, that is. In „Golden Fighter“, this seems to make up all the versus backgrounds.

So I was about to say this is the first game I’m considering kicking out of the collection, but then I saw the single player mode….and guys, this is a full-fletched side scrolling beat’em up!!! Who knew!

I sure didn’t, and I will have to take a closer look at that part of the game. But for versus play, this one’s a dud. ^^

Comment

Working...
                                X