God Of War PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And done.

100% complete and the joyful "plink" noise that accompanies the Platinum Trophy earned.

Not sure what to do next. Glad that Santa Monica are working on NG+ for this.

I wish that there was a stats screen though. Be interesting to see how long it has taken etc.

Comment

Shuhei Yoshida Was Horrified After Playing Early God of War Prototype

"During his keynote at the opening of Devcom today, God of War game director shared many interesting tidbits on the behind the scenes development and the making of the game. We had our first look at the concept art for the Egyptian mythology but Cory had a lot more to share regarding the game including the very first prototype.

• The very early prototype was rough. SIE WWS’ president Shuhei Yoshida played it and left horrified without saying anything to Cory Barlog.
      • The first prototype featured low frame rate, terrible visuals and no ax throwing and recall mechanic.
      • The second prototype was tested again by Shuhei after improvements were made and it was at this point that Yoshida started to like it.
      • Cory Barlog wanted the world serpent to be bigger in scale since the original design was smaller. The tech team was worried about this change.
      • Atreus was the brainchild of Cory and he wanted him to be a companion in the game. The development team strongly opposed it.
      • Atreus’ AI was considered a tough challenge by the AI programmers. The lead AI programmer even took Cory to visit Naughty Dog to show how they faced difficulties during creating the AI for Ellie in The Last of Us to prove that it might be hard for God of War, but Cory was adamant in putting this in the game.
      • In God of War, when you clear certain story segments, the water level rises to reveal new locations. This was an afterthought and they had to deal with a lot of issues when trying to implement it.
      • They didn’t have a dedicated UX designer so the UI looked off with smaller text. Note: It was later patched after launch.
      • An early version of the game had human enemies and they had voice-overs for them as well. It was all removed once they were replaced with mythical creatures. This disappointed the scriptwriters who had to scrap their work.
      • In the early prototype, Atreus only followed Kratos and didn’t feature his own individual pathfinding.
      • Cory wanted him to be intelligent enough to stay on-screen, but there were bugs and issues that resulted in
      • Atreus sometimes being off-camera.
      • There was a huge concern regarding how God of War would be cinematic with the more up-close camera. Cory faced a lot of opposition to his vision. One team member even said he was ruining the franchise.
      • They settled on a live demo for E3 2016 and kept it a secret inside the studio by only telling about it to a select few people to prevent early leaks.
      • Cory worked on a vertical slice for E3 and played it for a month to make sure he doesn’t mess it up on stage. He was still afraid of issues leading to the eventual reveal that thankfully played out perfectly.
      • Cory said good producers play a vital role in the successful development of a good game. He always broadened the scope of things, and his studio would get unhappy, as they’d have to implement it.

God of War is out now on the PS4. It has managed to sell through 5 million copies worldwide in its launch month making it the fastest selling PS4 exclusive. It is also one of the highest rated exclusive this generation for the PS4."

Comment

Late to the party but I enjoyed this enough to play it to Platinum.

Excellent soft reboot and I would like a sequel please.

I don't think there is any DLC inbound for this is there?

Comment

Finished this a few weekends ago. Didn’t platinum but I completed all the main quests, secondary & dragons. Didn’t do the valkaries or all of odins ravens.

Magnificent game from start to finish. Combat is tricky at first getting used to but once you have a few new abilities your rock & rolling.

Some of the most spectacular graphics and artwork on any platform full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Finished this a few weekends ago. Didn’t platinum but I completed all the main quests, secondary & dragons. Didn’t do the valkaries or all of odins ravens.

Magnificent game from start to finish. Combat is tricky at first getting used to but once you have a few new abilities your rock & rolling.

Some of the most spectacular graphics and artwork on any platform full stop.
            I actually really enjoyed the Valkyrie hunt. Mind you I had to seriously power up in both Muspelheim and Niflheim first (which took a few hours) but the true last boss of the game was savage. Totally changed how you have to approach the combat with a really heavy focus on awareness and then punishment with Runic attacks.

Good feeling to smash the last one and it adds another story beat when you do.

Comment

I need to get back into this, but drop it down to Story difficulty because the combat is frustrating me.

I'd rather get it completed and enjoy the experience rather than leave it uncompleted because I can't swallow my pride.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                I need to get back into this, but drop it down to Story difficulty because the combat is frustrating me.

I'd rather get it completed and enjoy the experience rather than leave it uncompleted because I can't swallow my pride.
                That's what I did, but life got in the way I think I need to start it again when I have some solid game time (holiday).

Comment

I found the combat a little too easy after the step down.
                  I kinda want some happy medium!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I found the combat a little too easy after the step down.
                    I kinda want some happy medium!

Comment

That is exZAKtly what I asked for.

Comment

I downloaded this on PS5 a few days back and I've just finished it. Totally clicked with it and couldn't stop playing. The combat system builds fast but the rhythm soon becomes second nature ... dishing out beat-downs to foes that feel almost unbeatable when you first encounter them. The boss patterns are satisfying to exploit but they can still be tough at times.

What I love the most is the freedom to explore. Yes there's a very linear story path to follow but getting in your boat and exploring the islands delivers some brilliant puzzles, rewards and battles.

Top action game this. Just hard enough to never feel like you're stupidly powerful ... and just long enough to feel epic without overstaying its welcome.

Production values are off the scale too. I went back to Miles Morales after finishing and they do not feel like different generations.

Comment

Started this following the PS5 patch; crikey is it a looker - perhaps the best visual showcase to date?

Didn't really enjoy the first couple of hours; lots of cut scenes, scripted walk-and-talk bits, and a boss fight that wasn't half as interesting as it seemed to expect me to find it. The constant cinematic shakey-cam is a little annoying, and I'm still not convinced I like the action side of things - the camera hovers a bit too close behind Kratos, and I'm just generally not enjoying the fights... but on the other hand, I got on much better with last night's session when the game opened up a bit more and I could actually choose to stray off the beaten path without too many interruptions. We'll see!

Comment

I'm going to be controversial here.
                            I hated this.

It feels incredibly archaic with slow paced trudging combat. I've played for about 2 hours and didn't enjoy any of it. It's a ps3/psp game that had its graphics updated.
                            It has some very odd control choices, like a quick turn on the Dpad (which it's very ps1) and pressing circle and up to climb, open a door or turn a cog. Why can't I just walk to a door and open it in one motion? Why not make the cog turning more exciting? Why not make climbing feel like a struggle?
                            It's all very simple. Move from one place to the next to slowly hit enemies.

Maybe I was spoilt playing Spiderman, and although the combat in that is awkward at times, it give you options to switch things up. You can use gadgets, jump attacks, dodge attacks etc, even before leveling up.
                            GOW gives you a slow axe attack (which enemies should be dodging but don't) a heavy axe attack which is slower and you can throw the axe. Thats it. No combos of light and heavy attacks, no jumping (at all. You jump by pressing circle again at the edge of a marked path).

I don't know how this game got such high praise.

Also, I should probably make a comment on the characters and story. Yawn.
                            A gravelly spoken man treats his son hard in a hard world. I'm sure there will be some argument between them were the boy says
                            'you never show you care'
                            'boy, everything I do is for you. I loved your mother and I love you.'
                            'oh dad, you do care!'

Puke

But it's just my opinion so don't hang me.
                            Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 05-02-2021, 10:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              I'm going to be controversial here.
                              I hated this.

It feels incredibly archaic with slow paced trudging combat. I've played for about 2 hours and didn't enjoy any of it. It's a ps3/psp game that had its graphics updated.
                              It has some very odd control choices, like a quick turn on the Dpad (which it's very ps1) and pressing circle and up to climb, open a door or turn a cog. Why can't I just walk to a door and open it in one motion? Why not make the cog turning more exciting? Why not make climbing feel like a struggle?
                              It's all very simple. Move from one place to the next to slowly hit enemies.

Maybe I was spoilt playing Spiderman, and although the combat in that is awkward at times, it give you options to switch things up. You can use gadgets, jump attacks, dodge attacks etc, even before leveling up.
                              GOW gives you a slow axe attack (which enemies should be dodging but don't) a heavy axe attack which is slower and you can throw the axe. Thats it. No combos of light and heavy attacks, no jumping (at all. You jump by pressing circle again at the edge of a marked path).

I don't know how this game got such high praise.

But it's just my opinion so don't hang me.
                              The weapon/combat options do open up to become more involved and exciting and fluid as you go further in, which is one of your main gripes here, so it might be worth perserveering a little more. Also, there are some fabulous environments and characters to encounter. My main criticism would be the lack of enemy variety and memorable OTT bosses, which Barlog acknowledged (trolls were reassigned as bosses quite late into development as they simply underestimated how long it would take to code the mega-bosses that the series is famous for).

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                                The weapon/combat options do open up to become more involved and exciting and fluid as you go further in, which is one of your main gripes here, so it might be worth perserveering a little more. Also, there are some fabulous environments and characters to encounter. My main criticism would be the lack of enemy variety and memorable OTT bosses, which Barlog acknowledged (trolls were reassigned as bosses quite late into development as they simply underestimated how long it would take to code the mega-bosses that the series is famous for).
                                I have no doubt the combat improves, there is quite an exciting and extensive leveling system. But if a game is going to grab people it needs to feel engaging from the start, I shouldn't have to level up to unlock some of the more basic fun elements of combat. Other games (FF7R, Spiderman, Nier) have an open combat system that is then built on with more skills and leveling. GoW is an action game that feels like its holding you back.

Comment

Working...
                                X