No announcement yet.

God Of War PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really enjoying it. It looks gorgeous and the combat has really clicked now that I've unlocked a load of new stuff.

The only thing that I'm having issues with is the Enchantments. How CE I can sell some but not others? Even though they're not equipped I can't seem to unload them.

Comment

I think the game is fab and I'm glad to see an AAA that is very linear and doesn't look to go open world. Its not a patch on the 1st game, both for story and combat mind. In fact Combat is a massive step backwards for me, but the game is still ace fun.

Comment

For those complaining the combat is to simple you just need to learn a few moves and not just hammer r1 or r2 constantly, its very much like monster hunter combat wise yes you can just do basic combos and refuse to learn how the weapon works, but your gonna have a hard time if you do. Their is a massive amount of moves and strategy that you can employ if you look into it, and learning how to use the axe effectively is very rewarding, I've unlocked pretty much all the extra moves and have access to a fair few decent combos and some of the stuff you can do is brutal. Two combos id highly recommend are

The cleave attack, this is just brutal and pretty Awesome for doing damage, Hold down just R2 and let go when the enemy's near by and you bring the axe down really really hard, if there energy is around a quarter you get all sorts of kill animations whether its slicing them in half removing their head or repeatedly hacking them nearly clean in half.

Axe slam combo R1 R1 R1 R2 sees you do three quick attacks and a slam attacks that knocks everything back, i then do a running charge and jumping slam this pretty much finishes off weaker enemy's, and takes huge chunks off stronger enemy's

Another good tip is know when to block and when to roll, red attacks are unblockable and tend to leave the enemy open so a roll and a follow up combo tends to leave you with the upper hand. Orange attacks can be blocked but i always parry, hitting block just as the hit is about to land sees you knock the enemy back and leaves them open for a really nice combo. Mix the above in with your runic attacks, summons, axe throws and stuns, and your not gonna be doing some crazy damage

Pay attention to your Armour too it has a level attached to it your overall power level is made up of a combination of all your Armour levels, so if everything has a base level of 4 your current lvl is 4, you can buff levels by upgrading it, or by slotting gems. its really is as basic as that and its well worth upgrading and re-slotting gems to give you a boost. Everything in the world has a lvl next to their energy bar so if your lvl 4 and come across a lvl 6 that enemy is two levels above you power wise so will hit a lot harder

The walking sim comment above is idiotic its like saying Legend of Zelda is a walking sim, its an adventure game, the combat the puzzles and the exploration are pretty close to how a Zelda game plays out maybe that's why i'm enjoying it so much. I'm a massive zelda fan, the realms are like Zelda dungeons right up to the point that they finish with a boss and unlock new ability's after you beat each one
        Last edited by Lebowski; 30-04-2018, 09:55.

Comment

I'm now in the last 15-20%, past a point that will stand out for many players and without spoilers - Nothing has changed my mind, it's hard locking into 8/10 territory the more I play and in places even feels a little too drawn out with too much fetch questing deviation.

I'm somewhat puzzled by the love the story gets, this is a far less likeable tale than 1-3 ran even if Kratos is less of a douche in this, the relationship with his son is fine but there's nothing new or nuanced about it and it doesn't really go anywhere for much of the game as Kratos remains pretty two dimensional. His son may gleam one or two new details about his father but the player doesn't learn anything. From a narrative perspective I'd say the game is fine but like LOU, it could only ever be considered as great because the bar in gaming is so severely low. I've enjoyed it but I'm getting ready for it to end.

The game has improved in the fun stakes since

the Blades of Chaos are re-introduced, instantly it just became so much more fun to play however it did also highlight that the often praised underlying gameplay is still the same old one underneath as it immediately played the same as GOW3 again. Not an issue but it re-enforced the hyperbolic feeling the hype has for the title

I'm already finding myself at a place where I'd happily play a sequel but I'd want the above spoilered part to apply to the whole game, the enemies scaled up so Kratos doesn't spend the game feeling so nerfed in comparison to the previous entries and for them to have a proper think about how they interpret the further Nordic mythology designs as the Norse characters and monsters here are fine but don't rival the scale or appeal of their Greek predecessors. Only one fight has come close in all I've played and that would have been in the intro of past games.

I do get the approach, GOW3 undersold the Gods because they rushed the delivery and in doing so reduced them to fodder for Kratos. Here everything is a threat but it's created the inverse of nerfing Kratos portrayal who struggles to topple monsters he once would have taken down in the dozens.

I dunno, I'd find it hard to not recommend it to anyone with a PS4 - It is very good at what it delivers
          But anyone saying best Game of all Time? Likely haven't played much. GOTY? Maybe right now but it'll get topped.
          I'd be willing to have a proper think on whether it's in the top 10 games available on PS4, that's about the praise level I'd see it as.

Oh, and no more boats in the next game please

Comment

By the time God of war 3 came round i was really bored with the series id played and finished both the psp versions and the first two main console entry's but only played about half of God of war 3. I'm glad they have gone a different route with this and added weight and heft to the combat.

I'm really enjoying the exploration too, they can keep the boat for me its a way to get around a larger area quicker and add scale to the world, i enjoyed listening to Kratos tell his really blunt story's and now we have the New NPC filling us in on Norse mythology, overall the voice acting is superb here and I'm really enjoying being in this world.

Comment

Aye to echo earlier comments the whole MMORPG of adding ruins etc, I couldn't give a toss about being honest those type of games have not vee interested me

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                Aye to echo earlier comments the whole MMORPG of adding ruins etc, I couldn't give a toss about being honest those type of games have not vee interested me
                It's not as if their hard to understand, and they add another layer to the way you attack, runic attacks are always on the same button combos too

R1+R1 Light Runic Attack
                R1+R2 Heavy Runic Attack
                R1+ 0 Defensive Runic Attack

Armour runes again are pretty simple its not as if its some deep multilayered system that is hard to understand you have passive effects, that you stick on your Armour and that's it your not bombarded with them so its a nice when you get a good one. how tricky is it to understand that this rune gives you a +15 defense buff when its called the rune of medium defense and its says in the flavor text this rune gives you a 15% defense boost.

This thread though wow what a bunch you lot are sometimes i feel at the moment like the only one enjoying this and am massively in the minority of people who think this is a good game on borders, here's a list of the complaints so far from you misery's

"the combat is to hard enemy's keep hitting me in the back instead of lining up and waiting for me to attack them one by one like they did on the PS2"
                "i haven't learnt any combos and am just ignoring the other buttons and hitting everything with the heavy attack button, its taking an age to kill everything why is their no depth to the combat"
                "i don't want to level up my character or mess about with runes"
                "I don't want a way to explore the game boat anoy me"
                "i want to seem more god like how come i can only take 10 hits off this giant ****ing frost troll that's using a stone monolith as a club "
                "i don't care about the story in this story driven game i just want to hit stuff"
                hopefully you lot will take this in good humor but i bet i get some critique about how my post is to long or rambly or poorly formatted

2 out of 10
                Last edited by Lebowski; 30-04-2018, 15:51.

Comment

Ooooh! My mates clubbed together and got em this for my birthday! I can't believe I'll have played TWO games released this year!

Comment

Finished up now and a definite 8/10 effort. Great for those who have clearly taken strongly to the game but I feel no compulsion go gathering end game content, it does go on a little too long and the finale is an anti-climax. Like Horizon, the ground work is here for a strong follow up as long as they remain ambitious but definitely the Norse mythology is weaker than the Greek and at its core it's more of the same. Game of the Year... for now.

Comment

I did it i found something i don't like about this game, mild non story spoiler ahead,

The fire realm opens up pretty early on and to me feels really tacked on, a piece of game design from the dark ages of video games, designed to prolong the game in the most arcane way possible the dreaded challenge arena. so yeah The entire realm is just a series of increasingly tedious challenges arenas, complete three challenges and move ahead to the next area. with the main goal to do clear all 6 arenas and reach to the top of a volcano.

The challenges and i use this word loosely are things like
                      kill all these enemy but there health constantly regenerates.
                      Kill all enemy's but they re-spawn if you don't kill them together.
                      Kill enemy's but stand in a circle,
                      kill all enemy's but stop your son getting kidnapped.

we seeing a pattern here

The worst one I've come across so far at lvl 4 is the kill 100 enemy's, that all seem to spawn really slowly so you spend most of the battle stood about waiting for them to show up, that's 20 minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

Comment

For me it doesn't as I said I don't care about those type of games or plus one luck

You seemed to use the words easy and understand, I get it fine I just can't be arsed with it

Comment

It's not a new thing adding Armour and customization options to a game like this, having a leveling structure, Armour upgrades and new skills to equip gives the game a feeling of progression like you've been on a journey and are becoming more powerful.

It also adds a reason to explore the world, its not even as if its new to the series the original god of war did this sort of stuff and let you level and unlock new skills. This is all really basic stuff for a game like this, do you also moan about racing games having gears or shooting games having different guns as at the moment it seems like your moaning for moaning sake.

Comment

I'm enjoying it.
                            Currently just unlocked

the magic chisel thingy

, so I think i'll do some backtracking.

It's not massively original (reminds me a lot of the Tomb Raider reboots, which I also enjoyed).
                            The combat occasionally feels like a chore (R buttons don't help).

It's one of the few games that has had me recharge my DS4 mid-play though. That's a good sign, right?

Comment

Still playing it and enjoying it but generally just going around trying to find stuff

Combat wise I still think it's not the best, it's certainly better than I originally thought especially when you start leveling up and your son is so helpful in combat especially juggling enemies

About to release my 2nd dragon (hopefully)

As for the RPG elements it still sucks and not Interested, most I want to do is make molotov cocktails and shivs

Comment

Just beaten my first valkyrie after about 5 goes

Really intense fight, only found it by messing about

Only at tyr's vault

Comment

Working...
                                X