Any mathematicians here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any mathematicians here?

Whats the correct mathematical term for when the main numbers stay the same but their "scale" changes, like:

164 is the same as 16.4 is the same as 16400 which is the same as 1640000000000000 and so on...

There is a term for this kind of thing where all of the "proper" numbers are the same and the zeros and places are discounted and I'm wondering if any of you know what it is?

I don't claim to be a mathematician but the term Significant Figures (or Digits) sounds a bit like your last sentence. Not sure of a term for scale changes though.

Comment

Thanks but its not that there is actually a specific term for what I outlined and "scale" is the closest I could think but it isn't that. Its an actual factual maths nerd term that only actual factual maths nerds know for situations just like these.

Not these as in nosebleeds but these as in 164 is the same as 16.4 is the same as 16400 which is the same as 1640000000000000 and so on...

Comment

maybe integers or powers?

as 164 is the same as 16.4 to the power 10.

Last edited by beecee; 20-04-2018, 15:42.

Comment

Isn't it that all of them are the same, but they differ by order of magnitude?

So is 100 an order of magnitude higher than 10?

Comment

I don't think that quite fits the bill for what replicashooter is looking for. I understand what's being looked for but I'll be buggered if I can find a term that covers it. Interested to see if anybody knows.

Edit: that was in response to beecee.
            Last edited by Paulos G; 20-04-2018, 15:44. Reason: Asura slipped in

Comment

Exponentiation.

Comment

Maybe Not exactly.

Comment

Where's [MENTION=9333]kryss[/MENTION]?

Comment

Theory of the Farting Horses.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Replicashooter is just trying to weed out the nerds so he can give wedgies, purple nurples/nipple cripples, Chinese burns, and nuggies to all you poindexters.

Comment

One plus one is window. Maths.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                          Whats the correct mathematical term for when the main numbers stay the same but their "scale" changes, like:

164 is the same as 16.4 is the same as 16400 which is the same as 1640000000000000 and so on...

There is a term for this kind of thing where all of the "proper" numbers are the same and the zeros and places are discounted and I'm wondering if any of you know what it is?
                          You're probably looking for factors. A number that is different by one order of magnitude than another has a factor of ten, by two a factor of a hundred etc.

Comment

I don’t think that's what a factor is but happy to be corrected.

Comment

Scale Factors, this GCSE Maths section of Revision Maths explains scale factors and how to calculate them.

Comment

Working...
                              X