No announcement yet.

SNES games that hold up to this day without pink eyeballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me too, it's just nice seeing old games looking really nice n slick these days. I think I just went off on a tangent again.

Comment

Yep but the other thing is that so many of the new indy games jacked that old school style and actually created better titles thanks to how gameplay has evolved and that was the gist of me starting this thread.

Using VVVVVV as an example I very much doubt I'd find any C64 that was as fun to play because it took all that was great about the older gen and left all that wasn't and that is what happens a lot now as the medium has a history to look back on and pare down to create lean retro styled games that just work.

Some of the stuff I initially went through and checked when I got the Mini after looking at all the "I'm going to add...." threads made me think WTF as the gameplay was flimsy at best and yet people seemed to go ape. That said its going to be hard for anyone going to play Final Fight after experiencing Yakuza 0 but I could easily go from Mario Galaxy to SMW without missing a beat as it plays so well and everything in it is perfectly tuned.

AAA all the way!

Comment

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
        I'm happy to concede that my opinions of Mario Kart could be down to the lack of time spent with it (and perhaps that I love MK8 so much, which is of course a completely unfair comparison).

As I was quite a few years late to Axelay, I was prepared to give the 3D effect itself a bit of a break, although it does look a bit like a CRT with bad geometry (or a toilet roll ), but the controls didn't feel right to me either, and I also remember feeling the hit detection was a bit off on those levels.

I'd agree it would've been excellent as a pure horizontal scroller, or even with vertical/horizontal 2D stages like Salamander.
        Nah, I'm the same. I got tons of hours out of SMK back when it was the sole entry in the series and even some in the following years but a while back it slipped increasingly into the territory where I'd choose to play most entries over it now. I'd never make a case that it's turned rubbish but time passed it for me a while back so I can totally see why others would be left a bit cold by it these days.

As for the SNES in total, another one for loads still being easily playable. Probably the best aged console ever.

Comment

Two of my favourite titles that hold up really well..

Magical Pop'n, great fun with tight controls and cute clean graphics, nice music, lots of secret areas and solid boss fights. Metroidy in the way new abilities (spells) unlock new areas.

Demons Crest, great action platformer with solid controls and cool jumping/flying mechanic. Multiple paths through levels with some great graphics.

Comment

I'll probably go straight to hell for saying this, but I don't really feel Mario Kart cuts it today.
            As much as I think it still plays well, part of me thinks that could be because I'm so used to the way it feels that I don't really notice that it's quite clunky. I've played it for hundreds of hours over the years, so being good at it helps to make it really fun to play. Of course, by today's standards it lacks finesse when it comes to the game engine and controls. But I think someone could still find it fun if they felt like putting time into it.

I also don't especially like the vertical "3D" stages on Axelay, which is a shame as the horizontal stages are fantastic (and the music is great throughout!).
            Some people have always disliked the 3D effect in the vertical stages, so it's just down to personal taste. I still really like the effect, despite it obviously looking a bit messy. The developer took advantage of the SNES hardware intstead of just making something that looks very generic, and to my eyes it works well.
            But to some people the 3D effect is an eyesore.

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
            @Leon Retro - can you play Goemon 2 with no knowledge of Japanese? The first one was quite text heavy and I've always fancied playing the second but have waited patiently for a fan translation.
            You don't need to be able to read Japanese text. I've completed it loads of times over the years. You just have to learn how to play the robot sections, as they can be a pain at first.

but I could easily go from Mario Galaxy to SMW without missing a beat as it plays so well and everything in it is perfectly tuned.
            Yeah, SMW still stands up as a perfect example of a 2D platformer. It will always be a joy to play through.
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-04-2018, 07:41.

Comment

Interesting, so much of the story/crazy shenanigans in Mystical Ninja were told through the text that I thought the 2nd would be the same.

Comment

Ganbare Goemon 2 is definitely doable. Ganbare Goemon 3 on the other hand... Nope, sadly. Seemed to have ramped up the JRPG elements in that one.

Comment

Ah, cool. In that case I'll have to add that one and see how it rolls because the first one certainly was ace.

Comment

Why does Sim City need a mouse to play? It's grid based?

Comment

I don't really feel Mario Kart cuts it today. It just doesn't play very well to me, even compared with some other racing games of the era (I'd rather play Top Gear personally).
                      Totally agree... F-Zero on the other hand still looks awesome and bangs along at a fair old pace. Oh, and +1 for Top Gear.

Comment

I love the pocky and rocky games and regularly boot up final fight tough

Comment

Good picks thus far, hadn't heard of a couple. The Sim City love is a bit strange as I'm wondering how the keyboard and mouse style translates to a controller?
                          It's actually the most arcadey/playable/fun version.

Comment

Loads of good suggestions including my personal favourite, The Firemen. I think a fair amount of Super Famicom titles still hold up really well. Actraiser is still one I enjoy, along with pretty much everything else everyone has mentioned. Super Smash TV is a really good conversion of a great game that holds up well too, still feels nice on a pad which is pretty miraculous given the controls of the arcade.
                            Last edited by Escape-To-88; 26-04-2018, 22:33.
                            3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

I haven't played it for a while but I still love Super Mario Kart. I only liked that and the GBA version, I didn't like the later games in the series. But I haven't played the most recent ones. But with friends in the past I could always play smk or street fighter 2 on the SNES for hours. Sadly those days are long gone.

Comment

Skyblazer. Made by Sony Imagesoft. Usually ignored yet it’s bloody brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                                X