SNES games that hold up to this day without pink eyeballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SNES games that hold up to this day without pink eyeballs

When I first modded my mini I threw on loads of random tat and realised quite how bad some of the “games” were back in the days as there was next to no enjoyment to be had as the gameplay was so tedious.

Needless to say I’ve hammered the personal classics many times over the years and am looking for some recommendations that hold up to this day when played with fresh eyes.

Finally going to try Metroid, Contra and Castlevania at some point as I’ve never played any of their incarnations before and am thinking of checking out an RPG as I’ve only played Zelda out of the stack on the console. Read a lot of hype about Illusion Of Gaia and Terranigma along with a third title that escapes me at the moment and think that I may play Earthbound now as well.

Any picks folks? Just the best stuff please.

Mega Man X still holds up in my opinion.

Comment

sim city

Comment

UN Squadron looks oh so svelte and prettay.

Comment

UN Squadron ^^
          Sim City ^^
          Final Fantasy III/VI
          Chrono Trigger
          Yoshi's Island
          Axelay
          Wild Guns
          The Firemen

Make sure to complete Zelda. You've seriously never played a Metroid, Contra or Castlevania before?

Comment

I honestly think 99% of them have not aged at all.

Comment

The Firemen. Incredibly well crafted, charming game that I’ve still never completed.

Pop n’ Twinbee. Still one of the best shooters to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                I honestly think 99% of them have not aged at all.
                I agree. Most SFC / SNES games by good developers still look and feel fresh today.

Comment

Good picks thus far, hadn't heard of a couple. The Sim City love is a bit strange as I'm wondering how the keyboard and mouse style translates to a controller? Also what are the best RPG picks that don't have random battles? Anyone played Gunmans Proof before, its a fan translation and looks really dope:

Comment

I think most SNES games hold up to be honest, 2d at its best. I can play pretty much any SNES game from my collection and still enjoy

Comment

I'd say that the genre that aged the worst is JRPG. I don't mean that every single one of them now is bad but interface, shortcuts, and similar things are very cluncky compared to modern offerings. As for action games, platformers, and pretty much everything else, still hold up incredibly well.

Comment

I think most of the good games hold up well, Nintendo, Capcom and co. The ones that have aged tended to be the not that good in the first places. Some people might be turned off by the 3D FX chip games, but the gameplay for the Nintendo ones still shines, that said DOOM on the SNES is a no, no these days.

Comment

I ‘International superstar Soccer’ or even the ‘deluxe’ version holds up today. The look and feel of the game has its own charm to it.

Others include -

Super Parodius
                          Turtles in Time
                          Ranma 1/2 (the second one)
                          Street fighter 2
                          Final Fight 3 (technically the best of the bunch)

Comment

Ganbare Goemon 2(The graphics and music are still breathtakingly good. It's also a whole lot of fun to play.)

Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie(A nice looking shooter with good music and fun gameplay.)

DoReMi Fantasy(Charming graphics and music. A joy to play through.)

Kidou Butouden G-Gundam(Looks and feels like a quality arcade fighter.)

Twinbee: Rainbow Bell Adventure(Clean sharp graphics, nice music, and pretty fun gameplay.)

Kirby's Dream Land 3(Really nice graphics that really show off the SNES - and fun(although simple) gameplay.

Alcahest(A nice looking hack 'n slash/dungeon crawler sort of game that I go back to now and then.)

I will also agree that Parodius, Turtles in Time, and UN Squadron/Area 88 are also nice looking and fun to play. Batman Returns still looks good.

Obviously, you need to either use a CRT, a scaler with scanlines, or at least add scanlines somehow. Pre-HD games on an LCD look...
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-04-2018, 23:50.

Comment

Turtles in Time gets super-repetitive after around eight seconds. Some alright tunes, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                              X