No announcement yet.

SNES games that hold up to this day without pink eyeballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not a great game but Time Trax is a good example of SNES graphics, like a western developer took note of the subtleties of the eastern graphic style in terms of look and feel. I think it looks and feels lovely but is still generically western and forgets about setpieces and distinct locales.

I just got back from the pub and am pizd n ztoned. But I reckon replicashooter would be interested by its slick visuals, you don't get many western SNES games lookin like this, havin tha slicknizz...

Comment

As someone who came to the SNES relatively recently, and therefore doesn't own that particular brand of rose-tinted glasses, I'd agree that the vast majority of games stand up really well. Overall, it has some of the finest 2D games ever made (platformers in particular), displayed with some pretty wonderful pixel art.

I'll probably go straight to hell for saying this, but I don't really feel Mario Kart cuts it today. It just doesn't play very well to me, even compared with some other racing games of the era (I'd rather play Top Gear personally). I also don't especially like the vertical "3D" stages on Axelay, which is a shame as the horizontal stages are fantastic (and the music is great throughout!).
      Last edited by ZipZap; 24-04-2018, 00:35.

Comment

I'd actually disagree (friendly BTW, I don't believe we have so far engaged in conversation). Nah, I had not played it for over twenny years and my mate had me doing cups on the SNES Mini in Jan and I was amazed by how beautifully perfect it was, I'd actually forgotten how subtle SMK was.

BUT, I was gonna post EXACTLY what you said about Axelay. I just think those graphics on the vert sections look clumsy, I always did, and it always felt like you're scrolling over an empty toilet roll, knaarmean???

Not only that, the weapons feel uber spacey and flickery, especially the fireball weapon.

I think they should've made a 6/7-stage classic Konami sidescroller, forgot about the vert Mode 7 bits, polished it, eliminated the flicker, added Boss Rush modes n the like, made it like a special thang.

But it's all so wonky. But I still love it. But so wibbly-wobbly and hybrid-feeling.

Comment

With SMK, the aesthetics are PERFECT, the graphics and sound, like Link To The Past, classic Nintendo.

It's a spooky plateau pretty much none manage.

Comment

Mean Machines magazine's one and only boob was when they slated LttP's graphics by saying that they "looked dated". Actually, no - it was Jaz Rignall that said the graphics and sound were hardly earth shattering.

Graphics 82%
            Sound 81%

I wonder what he thinks today?
            Last edited by dataDave; 24-04-2018, 01:20.

Comment

I'm happy to concede that my opinions of Mario Kart could be down to the lack of time spent with it (and perhaps that I love MK8 so much, which is of course a completely unfair comparison).

As I was quite a few years late to Axelay, I was prepared to give the 3D effect itself a bit of a break, although it does look a bit like a CRT with bad geometry (or a toilet roll ), but the controls didn't feel right to me either, and I also remember feeling the hit detection was a bit off on those levels.

I'd agree it would've been excellent as a pure horizontal scroller, or even with vertical/horizontal 2D stages like Salamander.

Comment

@ dataDave, I was never feeling Jazza's reviews anyway, at the time it seemed he was pushed as some cool gaming Jesus character, like Dave "Games Zoophile" Perry, Billy Mitchell, and I'm like "naaaaaaaah". Don't want it, no.

NO.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Mean Machines magazine's one and only boob was when they slated LttP's graphics by saying that they "looked dated". Actually, no - it was Jaz Rignall that said the graphics and sound were hardly earth shattering.

Graphics 82%
                  Sound 81%

I wonder what he thinks today?
                  I was wrong.😀

Comment

Played Super Aleste last night, that’s definitely still got ‘it’. Bonus for the Japanese version, which has a fun New Order chiptune medley on the soundtrack of one level.

Kirby Super Deluxe is one of my go-to retro games to play in two-player mode with non-gaming people. It’s not challenging, but it’s bags of fun, and every playthough is varied due to all of the skills available for the pink blob.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                      I was wrong.😀
                      Hope the mullet's gone...and not been replaced with a bandana.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                        Hope the mullet's gone...and not been replaced with a bandana.

Comment

Don't worry, the head is prostrate for the scratching. But please don't touch the bawbag.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                            Played Super Aleste last night, that’s definitely still got ‘it’. Bonus for the Japanese version, which has a fun New Order chiptune medley on the soundtrack of one level. .
                            Oh my! What a game this is, its like digital crack I tell thee. Top pick
                            [MENTION=2924]Leon Retro[/MENTION] - can you play Goemon 2 with no knowledge of Japanese? The first one was quite text heavy and I've always fancied playing the second but have waited patiently for a fan translation.

Comment

I wanna let Leon answer that quezzie, tho I know the answer but I'll just say Jurassic Park 2 always looked pretty swish, if you ask me, another western game that somehow looks a bit more Japanesey.

Not a grrreat game, though, but worth putting on the SNES Mini for a blast.

Comment

Jazz, I'm not a graphics whore (honest!) as is evidenced by my gushing over VVVVVV but the gameplay or story has to be stellar, preferably both but I'll make allowances for the SNES era.

Getting a Mini made me realize how few games I actually played way back when as we all just constantly hammered a core selection of uber replayable titles which were topped up with random rentals here and there. Ultimately its got to be fun, thats the main criteria.

Comment

Working...
                                X