Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland will want back in the EU. They’ll have another vote about independence. When they win it, we can invade, and f##k them jocks right up. Independence Day mofo’s!

Joking, for all Scottish BD brethren.

Comment

MP's seeking to extend A50 spoke to the EU beforehand for verification that a request to ask for another 3 months would be granted

As expected, if Johnson breaks the law over A50 he realistically wouldn't go to prison like the rest of the population but would instead be exposed to lose his position making it a gambit for him whether it galvanises support or not.

In a GE, campaigners across the UK are now setting out to work on a plan to tactically vote for the scenario most likely to result in a Second Referendum.

And Amber Rudd has quit the Cabinet over Johnson's Brexit approach

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...xit/ar-AAGWOZD

Johnson could be jailed if he refuses to extend A50
        Seen by Brexit voters as "Johnson prepared to go to jail for Brexit"

Latest poll from Opinium sees Tory lead increase: https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-chaotic-week

Originally posted by article
        The Conservatives are up 3 points to 35% of the vote, while the Brexit party is down 3 points to 13%. The Liberal Democrats are up 2 points to 17%, with Labour down 1 point to 25%.
        Plug those numbers in ...

Last edited by MartyG; 08-09-2019, 05:44.

Comment

In the event of no deal, it will become illegal for EU companies to pass EU customer data to the UK (until a new deal is agreed after however many years). So for example, a German customer could book a hotel room on a UK hotel website, but a German travel agent would not be able to book it for them.

Comment

But wouldn’t that situation already arise in other countries? I mean, there can’t be specific deals for passing on info with every other country, right? Or am I wrong? I would have thought that all it takes is for it to be in the fine print of any travel agent paperwork that you agree to let them pass on your details.

Comment

Other countries have specific agreements in place.

Comment

It makes me laugh when I hear the attitude of "Let's just get Brexit done and move on."

We're going to be feeling the repercussions of Brexit for decades.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  It makes me laugh when I hear the attitude of "Let's just get Brexit done and move on."

You have the option to chop off your leg now, or you can wait for it to heal and keep the leg.

"CHOP IT OFF!"

Comment

It's a notion that resonates with the public though - people in this very thread (who are remainers) have said that they "Just want it over with".

I've spoken to remainers who are now resigned to "getting it over with".

Lord Ashcroft is a leaver, but he's been doing focus groups. His most recent one is worth a looksie, but bear in mind this is in a single consituency: https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/14742/

Even among Remain voters, there were mixed views about the prospect, since realised, of a law to take a no-deal Brexit off the table. Undesirable though no deal might be, people wondered what the point of another extension would turn out to be: “We’re only going go drag everything out with zero result. Nothing’s changed since March, nothing’s changed since June. End it!”
                    This one is also worth a look as it's quite a comprehensive break down of demographics on the Leave Remain vote: https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/0...endum-and-why/ - it shows that around 25% of people decided which direction to vote in the last week and about 10% decided on polling day itself. And it also reinforces the notion that the older you are and less educated you are, the more likely you were to vote for leave.

Of all the charts though, I find this one the most depressing and summarises the deep divide between leave and remain voters.

Last edited by MartyG; 09-09-2019, 10:31.

Comment

I had a similar conversation with my wife at the weekend and said that best-case scenario (for remainers) is:
                      Extension > GE > Remain party win > revoke A50

Not likely, though. Best realistic scenario:
                      Extension > GE > Remain party win > new People's Vote referendum > revoke A50

The thing is, even if this happens, leaving the EU is such a hot potato, it'll never leave us. It'll foverevmore be in Conservative manifestos and the Brexit Party will gain traction again. It'll constantly be a carrot to dangle in front of voters even if it's not a straight No-Deal Leave from Brexit Party, it'll be something used to sway voters.

Depressing so many of us want to be insular.

Comment

I personally don't think we're going to leave, but at least we can **** up the economy for a few years.

Comment

Not likely, though. Best realistic scenario:
                          A remain party win is not in any way realistic given the only parties that are declared remain are Greens, LibDems, SNP and Plaid Cymru and the vote split they command would not be enough under any current polling.

Comment

Would Labour be willing to form a coalition government with the pro remain parties if all it cost their fence sitting executive was a second referendum?

Comment

The thing is, even if this happens, leaving the EU is such a hot potato, it'll never leave us.
                              Yep. And the reverse is true too. As you say, if Brexit happens you'll be feeling the effects for decades - the EU will not be out of your lives and how you deal with the EU will end up having to be part of any party's political stance. As Varadkar said to Boris whenever that press conference was, if you crash out with no deal, the next step is having to turn up again to the EU looking for deals. There is no just getting it done. And unfortunately I think you're right - there's no undoing it in the sense of let's pretend it didn't happen and move on... although at least normal trading and life could continue in that scenario.

Comment

It's a Labour Coalition or bust, though polling shows a strong Tory lead we've seen several times how the actual result can come in different so the hope would be that we'd end up with a 2nd Ref that way whether Labour likes it or not. If A50 ever was revoked I reckon the Tories would make a lot of noise but as soon as the dust was seen as have settled they'd drop any promise for a third Ref in favour of Leave rather that stitch themselves up to face this all again, same with Labour. Hardline Leavers would bang on about leaving like the SNP does about Independence but no truly popular will touch the subject again after this whichever way it lands.

Comment

Working...
                                X