The Wii U Retrospective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wii U Retrospective

I really liked the Wii U as a console. Bought one just to play Deus Ex Human Revolution and it was well worth the price of entry as it’s such a stunning game that used the 2nd screen perfectly.

Haven’t played anything else on it beside Wii and GameCube games and am looking for some of the best experiences you’ve had on this platform. Just ordered Sonic All Stars Racing as it was cheap, well reviewed and is supposed to have a great single player mode and am looking at:

Bayonetta 1&2
    Paper Mario
    Windwaker HD

Already own Mario 3D but I need to mod my Wii to be able to turn off the second screen as I found its mirroring in that game an irritating distraction and have also got NSMBU after it was pimped on here as a sublime slice of 2d platforming that can hold its own against SMW (we’ll see...).

What else was a great experience on the platform for you?

Wonderful 101.

EDIT: you can switch off the gamepad screen if you press the home button. Brilliant if you use the Pro Controller.

Comment

I think the Wii U is a fantastic console, and well worth the money. Some real gems on it. It also seems if you are wanting a Switch but never play outside of your home, the Wii u is more or less the same for less expense.

Comment

My family and I have loved the Wii U - sales figures don't affect how much fun we've had with it.

Comment

A deeply flawed design (I'm far sighted) with some pretty good games in zombiu, bayonetta 2, xenoblade, can't think of anything else that isn't a port or a remake to be honest.

Comment

The WiiU was my first midnight launch Got fond memories of how surprisingly good Zombi U was at launch ... then playing the likes of 3DWorld, MK8, Pikmin 3, etc ... along with some classics made affordable like Super Punch-Out! and Metroid Prime Trilogy. All good stuff.

But perhaps my favourite thing about the WiiU is just a how welcoming it is when you switch it on ... the Mii Plaza is pure Nintendo happiness.
            Last edited by Atticus; 29-04-2018, 20:44.

Comment

I'm not a fan, the library was weak and the controller was awful. It's going to be a nightmare when those pads eventually die.

The best I can say is it's a good all in one system if you're heavily invested into GC/Wii/Wii U titles. I could never get on with games like Xenoblade, Star Fox, Splatoon and Mario Maker but there were a few games that looked interesting like Captain Toad and Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE. Hopefully the latter gets a Switch port.

Breath of the Wild was amazing but that's a cross platform title.

Comment

Tokyo Mirage Sessions looks really dope, thanks.

For me the all in one style of it really did appeal because you could play GC/Wii in HD but tellingly I haven't played much on the Wii U side of things but it appears that whilst the library was quite thin there were some really good titles on there.

Interestingly I just looked at the top titles of all time on Metacritic and the vast majority of them are ports of indy games

Having neither played Wind Waker or Twilight Princess are they worth getting?

Comment

I could never get into Twilight Princess but Wind Waker was my favourite in the series prior to Breath of the Wild. I haven't played the Wii U version but my understanding is it fixes some of the more tedious aspects from the GC original. I'd say it's worth picking up.

Comment

Nice one.

Odd that the price of Wii U games hasn't actually dropped that much. I'd expected them all to be in the 5/10 quid range now but a lot of them are still 20 plus. Rikes!

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                      Nice one.

Odd that the price of Wii U games hasn't actually dropped that much. I'd expected them all to be in the 5/10 quid range now but a lot of them are still 20 plus. Rikes!

Nintendo’s games never drop in price, never have. Even games put into the classics range stay at their retail of £20 (or whatever the the set rrp is at the time).

Comment

I don't know, I've actually been put off of ebaying all of mine because of the crap prices. Digital, homebrew, and now rereleases aren't really doing the prices much good. I'd say now is a good time to grab some bargains.

Comment

Here's my list of recommendations:

New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U
                          Zombi U
                          Pikmin 3
                          The Wonderful 101
                          Monster Hunter 3U
                          Super Mario 3D World
                          Mario Kart 8
                          Super Smash Bros.
                          Splatoon
                          Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker
                          Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
                          Hyrule Warriors
                          Super Mario Maker
                          Yoshi's Woolly World

You might want to dip into Bayonetta 2 casually, however for a deeper dive I'd obviously recommend the first game instead which you can probably already get cheaper on other systems. Wind Waker HD is another. Playing that game the once was enough for me - but you might be a bigger fan.

Comment

How do you play GC games on the U? You guys are talking as if it’s a built in feature

Comment

Originally posted by Nico87 View Post
                              How do you play GC games on the U? You guys are talking as if it’s a built in feature
                              You need to use homebrew to access it but you can load GC and Wii ISOs via USB devices and SD cards from the Wii menu.

Comment

Working...
                              X