Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panzer Dragoon Saga and how it came to be.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panzer Dragoon Saga and how it came to be.

Cool interview and story here on how the much beloved game exactly came about and what went into its development.

For the 20th anniversary of one of the most loved role-playing games, we tracked down 13 people who worked on it and asked them to look back

Twenty years. Hot damn.

It remains utterly criminal that Sega never ported or updated the game off Saturn, it was an absolutely stellar title that stayed with me for years after I played it first time out and lost little the second or third time. The jewel of the series for me and easily amongst the best games on the Saturn.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
      Twenty years. Hot damn.

It remains utterly criminal that Sega never ported or updated the game off Saturn, it was an absolutely stellar title that stayed with me for years after I played it first time out and lost little the second or third time. The jewel of the series for me and easily amongst the best games on the Saturn.
      I feel like I need to play it. I've only played the first hour or so, and it didn't grab me, but everyone goes on about it like this.

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that the code has been lost, which is why we have never seen an update.

Comment

I bought a Saturn (off Speedo!) in large part to play this. Played loads of other cool stuff but still haven’t gotten round to it. I need to rectify that this year for definite.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
            I remember reading somewhere that the code has been lost, which is why we have never seen an update.
            Yep they lost the source code. Typical Sega.

Comment

I'm more concerned Zwei never got any focus.

Best game in the series and a really damn good game as well.

I sincerely don't think Saga is an unmissable game. I played through it once. ONCE.

Oh, it's a great game but most of it consists of flying through canyons doing not that much interesting bar turn-based battles that never satisfy like Zwei did. That's riggedy rizeal, The Real deal with this piece.

It's all about the KERRRAZY colouring on the RPG bits (that reminded me of the vivid colours used in N64 Hybrid Heaven but not as vivid).

Anyway, really great game but don't lament if you never get to play it. Its reputation is deceptive but I really liked it mesen but it always felt like gimped Zwei to me.

Comment

7/10, let's be honest. But a good 7/10.

Comment

Saddest thing is I bought it new for £19.99 from Arcadia in Leeds back in early 1998, clocked it straight off and traded it straight back in for some generic cack on PS1.

I could've easy scored £100+ for my minty one if I'd held onto it but that's how life goes

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                    Yep they lost the source code. Typical Sega.
                    Yeah, Sega are notorious for this. I understand their archiving policies were poor back then; these days they're probably better, but I'm aware of several titles are are just "lost".

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                      Yeah, Sega are notorious for this. I understand their archiving policies were poor back then; these days they're probably better, but I'm aware of several titles are are just "lost".
                      One can't help HD failures lol and find to hard to see how SEGA would keep the original source code to the likes of the original game and able to use in SEGA Ages 2600, but not Saga, nevermind the list of games Arcade and console games that have seen updates or releases that sold far worse than Saga.

If SEGA got the soruce Code for the likes of Die Hard Arcade, Pazner Dragoon, Monster World IV to be used in updates, then most prob it got the soruce code to Saga somewhere, unless the HD data was damaged.

Comment

Zwei>RPG.
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I've always liked the 1st game best. Better setting, better art direction, better music and better bosses. Still also features one of the best intros's ever made too.

Comment

Saga's a hard comparison to the other three games just through having nothing but aesthetics in common, even at the time I classed it separate from them and kept other RPG's in mind more for which I vastly preferred this. A hell of an accomplishment considering the hardware and quite a gutting storyline at the time, so good Orta had to pick up some threads on it despite how many didn't play Saga.

Comment

I've always liked shooters more. Still today my fav genre and for me, Panzer Dragoon series are the best 3D shooters ever made, with Rez a close 2nd . Saga was stunning though, full 3D, full voice acting, time of daylighting, morphing and one of the most incredible soundtracks ever produced.

Comment

Working...
                              X