Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See, fuggin LEDGE, innit?

Comment

I cancelled my pre-order. Date has been pushed forward to the 15th on Amazon, but I can't justify £130 for that.

Comment

Played one yesterday. It was ****. Looks ****, stick is ****. Really looks like a toy.

Comment

After all my complaints, I caved in and bought one. As an official SNK product it does deserve support. My initial thoughts, the joystick is ok, the button layout is awful, I was really impressed by the screen, vibrant and pixel sharp. Metal Slug looked lovely on it. It really needs the external pad.

It’s a toy for sure, will interesting to see what modders do with it, could make a nice desk ornament stroke lamp with attract modes running.

Comment

Is the joystick analogue? Or does it feel digital but without the clicky sound?

Found this Forbes review. The guy played through Metal Slug with no trouble:

With the Neo Geo Mini now available for pre-order in the U.S. I finally managed to get my hands on the original Japanese version that was released back at the end of the July. In short, it’s surprisingly great.

Comment

It's digital with free movement I guess. I could run about and fire up and down no problem, finding jump was harder.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                After all my complaints, I caved in and bought one. As an official SNK product it does deserve support. My initial thoughts, the joystick is ok, the button layout is awful, I was really impressed by the screen, vibrant and pixel sharp. Metal Slug looked lovely on it. It really needs the external pad.

It’s a toy for sure, will interesting to see what modders do with it, could make a nice desk ornament stroke lamp with attract modes running.
                I've not got one, but I thought the button layout changes were one thing they got right. By that I mean it conforms to the way people generally want to play fighters.
                AC
                BD

Comment

I was more meaning actual physical placement and access

Comment

I did think that after I posted. Can't get away from the fact they are very small and close together. Not for the sausage-fingered like me.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                      It really needs the external pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                        stupid
                        Innit.

They put a screen and controls on it with the intent that people would use those to play the games but, really, anyone playing them seriously would need the pad.

One thing making me giggle at the price is that, unlike in the original Neo Geo days where the console and games understandably demanded a high price due to the console's beefy processor, cartridge on-board RAM costs, etc, whatever's running the Mini emulator isn't even breaking a sweat, and the required storage is miniscule.

It does have a lot of games, though.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post

It does have a lot of games, though.
                          A 64GB micro SD card costs around £10, so you could put many hundreds of Neo Geo on that. You only need an 8GB card really for the amount of games included. I think the range of games is also a negative. But I think the whole thing is a joke.

It's such a shame, because I'd definitely have bought an AES Mini if it were made properly with a broad range of the best games. A mini console appeals to me much more.

Comment

Maybe if they made a handheld version, like a Vita, but you could plug it into a dock and play on the telly like a Switch.

Ooh, they should make the dock look like the old console!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Maybe if they made a handheld version, like a Vita, but you could plug it into a dock and play on the telly like a Switch.

Ooh, they should make the dock look like the old console!
                              Sounds much better than what we have.

If the tabletop were much bigger with a better quality build, at least Neo Geo fans could be happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                Sounds much better than what we have.

If the tabletop were much bigger with a better quality build, at least Neo Geo fans could be happy with it.

I even knocked up a prototype!

Comment

Working...
                                X