Neo Geo Classic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I get the impression that it was created as a mass market product to cash in on the general interest in retro gaming, so I'd be surprised if it costs more than $129.99.

I think a Chinese company could deliver these for much less than that, so it will be interesting to see what the price actually is.
    I was thinking they’d stick to that good ol neo geo gouging but £90 seems reasonable for novelty value. Quelle surprise!

Comment

For those still intending buying, out of curiosity, what's your reason for getting one rather than say just buying the ACA games on current gen platforms?

Comment

It was going to be as a trinket. One that I could also buy two extra controllers for and all of the other bits they’re putting up for sale, so that I could take it round to my brother-in-law and play some games. However, considering we’ve only played my SFC Mini twice this year, I’m thinking that I’d rather spending £150 on 18 ACA titles for PS4 that I probably won’t play either.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The same reasons i got a famicom & super famciom mini, it's a small convenient & quick way to play a bunch of games that i want to play. In the case of the neogeo mini it's an even smaller bunch of games, but the slug games are woth it all on their own (just). Im enjoying the current offerings of plug & play stuff, well ones done properly that is.

We still have to see if the neo one is a pile of crap or not emulation quality wise but the pricing is at least reasonable, will see how much they price hike for the west though.

Comment

Originally posted by mmmonkey View Post
            Thinking about it, I’m pretty sure the dropped the bullet during the original hardwares lifetime
            Correct.

The "GIGA POWER" titles near the end of the system's lifetime dropped the bullet.

Comment

If the control panel was larger, this thing would have been all kinds of EPIC. From what I’ve seen of it, it’s too fiddly for a 39-and-a-half-year-old with prior experience of all things SNK.

Something of a wasted opportunity. Imagine full-sized Seimitsu controls, a 5” screen with an option to connect to another unit for a Vs. City-style setup. I’d have quite comfortably paid £250 for it then. Instead they’ve made a novelty item in two different versions. Neither of them being preferable, because if you’re old you’ll import the JPN one which has the worst lineup of titles, and then get the “International” version because it has slightly better games. Then you’ll rely on somebody to make a programme to hack the **** out of it and one of them will become redundant.

ACA on PS4 and the other consoles totally destroys this thing. HORI RAP. N even advertises ACA on the box. ¥823 a time for direct ROMs is a no-brainier over this.

It’s actually quite a shame, when you consider what it could have been. They should really have got people like us to give them input, to make it great. All that was needed was a SFF AES with amazing sticks. It would have sold by the bucketload.

I’ll probably still buy both of them just because it’s something to do, but I’ll afford it an hour of my time. Likely messing about with the menu.

Sad times...
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I read a write up that said it suffered from screen tearing and other emulation woes, I just don’t know why anyone would bother. If you want convenience, your PS4/Switch etc will take care of you better.

Comment

It's impractical, it screams novelty item, my PS4 + 2 TE sticks provide a better arcade experience ... that's what my head says ...

... but I am a little seduced by it's cuteness (and SNKness).

Comment

It’s okay I guess but in reality it’s basically a gimped Pi with an unusably small screen for any serious play and controls that are way too small to make any accurate inputs. It would look good on a shelf I guess. Going the nes/SNES mini route would make more practical sense. Way too gimmicky imo.
                    Last edited by ExMosquito; 24-06-2018, 11:14.

Comment

Watch the video at 50% speed and you can clearly see excessive amounts of input lag.

Comment

It could have just been an AES joystick with a PI inside.

Comment

Which is the better combination do you think for someone just wanting a Nintendo Mini kind of deal for NEO-GEO.

This, or the neo-geo X?

Comment

Neither.

Buy a KoF94 cart to stare at.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post
                              Which is the better combination do you think for someone just wanting a Nintendo Mini kind of deal for NEO-GEO.

This, or the neo-geo X?
                              Id wait till the thing is released and proper hands on impressions start coming in. Wouldnt touch an x though, its overpriced gash made for suckers who fell for the neogeo=quality mindset. Still remember people gushing over the thing as they fought off buyers remorse in the realisation they had paid a fortune for a digital turd before they stuffed them into the sales forum months later lolol.

Comment

Originally posted by tokyochojin View Post

This, or the neo-geo X?
                                An rPi and spend the extra cash on a nice case, or get one 3D printed or something?

EDIT: I went off looking to see if anyone had made a nice AES case to put a Pi in and stumbled across this ridiculous contraption:

Why would you do this?
                                Last edited by Brad; 26-06-2018, 12:11.

Comment

Working...
                                X