Neo Geo Classic Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love your KO reviews, Yakster.
    That Game Boy one when it's just yet another NES clone was depressing but funny!

Back to the NGM, it's curious that they thought they needed to have two versions of it.
    I know the SNES/NES look different so the Mini versions reflect that, but I didn't think the NGM warranted it and it's just an added manufacturing cost.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
      I like the Japanese one, I’m not sure why they didn’t go with a Big Red style housing for the International version.
      Those cabs are US-specific. International covers basically everywhere that isn't Japan, so I assume that's why they are how they are.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

To be revealed early this Saturday morning UK time in a "special presentation".

Comment

Saturday morning? They better not interrupt Tiswas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Wow. You're old.

Comment

Yes. Yes, I am.

Comment

Indeed you are. Explains the granddad humour!

It's 3am on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Blimey, that’s a little before my time... my Saturday mornings were Going Live / Live and Kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                    Blimey, that’s a little before my time... my Saturday mornings were Going Live / Live and Kicking.
                    Ha! Pretty much the same for me.

I was born the year that both Tiswas and Saturday Swapshop ended, and I certainly don't ever remember watching Saturday SuperStore - all of these were probably remembered far more fondly by my older sister.

No. 73, Get Fresh! and Going Live! were amongst my earliest Saturday morning Kids TV memories.

Comment

08:15 from Manchester>
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                        I was born the year that both Tiswas and Saturday Swapshop ended...
                        I had to google that one... turns out you’re three years younger then me. I definitely remember Gilbert the alien but I never liked the ITV Saturday shows, it was BBC all the way for me as they generally had the better cartoons. I tried explaining the concept of a Saturday Morning Show to my boy... I got a blank look and he went back to watching Pokémon videos on YouTube.

Comment

Being honest, Tiswas was a bit before my time too but I vaguely remember it and it was the first one to come to mind. I remember No.73 much better.

Comment

I watched Live & Kicking with Jamie Theakston and Zoe Ball, then moved onto SMTV Live, which was the daddy. Ant and Dec and Cat Deeley. Great show, I loved the opening sketches and the Challenge Ant section where he'd come out in looking hapless in a cheap crown and ermine to face off in a trivia challenge against a smirking 10 year old!

They did loads of Pokemon stuff too, even special Challenge Ant Pokemon editions. The winners faced off against each other with the grand prize winner getting a trip to Japan to download Mew at Pokemon HQ! It went to tiebreaker and I even remember the tiebreaker question - "how heavy is Snorlax?".

Remember being so jelly of the kid who won. They did an episode after all set in Japan with Dec larking about in the street in Tokyo in a kimono. In retrospect that's probably a bit insensitive!

Ahhh, Saturday morning TV. Didn't even occur to me that kids now wouldn't know what that is

Anyway, yeah, NeoGeo mini. Looks ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                              I'll add something to this, and only a certain percentage here will get it. There have been a magnitude of console systems in the last few decades, but nothing, and I mean nothing compares to if you ever had an AES in your house in the 90's. Without a doubt, during the frenzy of gen to gen the PS1 and Saturn were amazing, but if you sat in the early 90's with that black slab of coolness with the games you had to work your arse off for, well, you'd done well. For me, it remains the pinnacle of 2D gaming. Will this mini give it a decent fan service? I very much doubt it, but i'm hopeful.

EDIT:

and as if there was any doubt, this post is brought to you by me drinking a daftly expensive malt, the wife being in bed, and the dog out cold at my feet.

I will disagree slightly with this, I would hate to think how much I've spent on snk shenanigans over the years and the first AES I owned was on the release of Sam spirits and owning one was fantastic but it was all down to how good your TV was, mine was mince but it certainly was the pinnicle of 2D gaming

But........

If you owned an arcade machine and I had an electrocoin 2000 6 slot, now that was fantastic only down to the amazing stereo sound it produced which was far superior to the TV I owned at the time

I will buy it as I've pretty much bought everything else neo related except quiz chibi, my PS4 main page games are pretty much everything ACA have released

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                That's actually a valid point.
                                This mini makes you feel like you're in the arcade of a model village.

The home console was mahoosive.
                                Is it crammed with circuit board magic, or is there a lot of air inside so it just looks intimidating to the other consoles?
                                The console was pretty much empty, all the magical greatness was in the cartridge lol

Comment

Working...
                                X