No announcement yet.

Outrun 2 - The Beautiful Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting [MENTION=13392]ZipZap[/MENTION]. C2C never really got much of my time until I bought the 360 as I found the handling and mechanics of the original game so much better along with its shinier graphics and saw the slipstream feature (and its crappy canned sound effects) as a pointless addition but based on what you've said I'll have to give it another play.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
      Interesting @ZipZap. C2C never really got much of my time until I bought the 360 as I found the handling and mechanics of the original game so much better along with its shinier graphics and saw the slipstream feature (and its crappy canned sound effects) as a pointless addition but based on what you've said I'll have to give it another play.
      Yeah, that was exactly my feeling until I came across some threads of Gamefaqs where people were discussing the intricacies. Now, going back to Outrun 2, it just seems far too simple!

This guy is one of the best players. Getting this score requires an awful lot of skill. For example watch his score jump as he enters the junction at the end of stage 3. That's because he's slipstreaming the rival at high speed, which is very difficult to do here! This run was the highest score on xbox live, not sure if that's still the case.

Last edited by ZipZap; 01-05-2018, 21:01.

Comment

Nice one, some people really do zone out as they fly through the tracks and its so beautiful to see. Going to have to check out the C2C play style now so looks like its time to get the OG Xbox up and running and do it properly to compare the two.

Great news though as this discovery may have upped my Outrun mileage for another 20 years of sheer joy!

Comment

Picked up the Xbox version of Outrun 2 from music magpie £3.38
          And coast to coast PS2 same price.
          Anybody know what stupid price the Japanese Xbox version of Outrun 2 goes for?

Comment

Interesting [MENTION=13392]ZipZap[/MENTION]. C2C never really got much of my time until I bought the 360 as I found the handling and mechanics of the original game so much better along with its shinier graphics and saw the slipstream feature (and its crappy canned sound effects) as a pointless addition but based on what you've said I'll have to give it another play.
            Outrun 2006 is the best Arcade racer Sega made since Daytona USA. It's so much better than Outrun 2 with better gameplay the most amazing Vistas and best of the music tracks from Turbo Outrun. The Xbox version is awesome, the only downside is the new lighting effects and shader used on the water, it's a little step backwards from Outrun 2 on the Xbox and must be due to RAM issues

Comment

it's a shame a HD version was never released on 360/PS4.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                it's a shame a HD version was never released on 360/PS4.
                A cut down version was on 360/PS3 called Outrun Online Arcade. Looked wonderful in HD but loads of content was missing and it was subsequently delisted which lead to the necessitation of yaarring said game in order to even be able to play it.

Comment

A cut down version was on 360/PS3 called Outrun Online Arcade. Looked wonderful in HD but loads of content was missing and it was subsequently delisted which lead to the necessitation of yaarring said game in order to even be able to play it.
                  Sadly that version was crippled by MS stupid XBox LIVE download limits of the time, while MS was still trying to sell the Arcade XBox 360.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                    Sadly that version was crippled by MS stupid XBox LIVE download limits of the time, while MS was still trying to sell the Arcade XBox 360.
                    That too is news to me. Shame as had that been a full HD port then I'd have been sorted. That said why did Sega release the nerfed version on PS3 then as well or was it just a port of the Xbox Live version?

The Online version is nice to have but it feels so sparse and basic compared to the disc version and the earlier criticism of it being a five minute game does apply to this version. Looks wonderful though and performs like silk.

Comment

That too is news to me. Shame as had that been a full HD port then I'd have been sorted. That said why did Sega release the nerfed version on PS3 then as well or was it just a port of the Xbox Live version?
                      Generally speaking, most third-party console devs who were multiplatform chose the 360 as the "lead" platform and the PS3 as the port. This is mainly because the 360's development tools were better. Also though you can debate the relative performance of both machines all day, it's beyond contention that it was easier to get a good result on 360, and it was closer to PC architecture of the time which made PC ports easier too.

So 360 would be the lead platform, PC was straightforward then because it was a bit like a 360 where you could just assume every aspect of the hardware was better, and for its early life, PS3 was more awkward to port to, had a smaller install base and if your game hinged on online multiplayer, there were much fewer people using that on PS3.

Comment

<Ryo Hazuki>I see...</Ryo Hazuki>

That makes a lot of sense as being a late adopter to both PS3 and 360 I wasn't up on what went down whilst they were still current. It is interesting that a lot of titles I've tried on both 360 and PS3 (primarily Mirrors Edge and Syndicate) look much better than the PS3 version in terms of fidelity.

Comment

<Ryo Hazuki>I see...</Ryo Hazuki>

That makes a lot of sense as being a late adopter to both PS3 and 360 I wasn't up on what went down whilst they were still current. It is interesting that a lot of titles I've tried on both 360 and PS3 (primarily Mirrors Edge and Syndicate) look much better than the PS3 version in terms of fidelity.
                          There's a tremendous amount of variation, so it's difficult to point out consistent trends for each machine.

If I was to over-simplify, the PS3 generally had higher-resolution visuals (as Sony, being a TV manufacturer, were more committed to 1080p). The 360 generally had better VFX and more even performance. This gives fans, who are on the outside looking in, a bit of a view as to the nature of the tools for creating games on each machine. The machine with more consistent tools will have more consistent performance, and if the platform holder has some "core values", the platform's games usually reflect that.

When "close to the metal", the PS3 could probably get you the best overall result, but the 360 was a much better machine from a developer's point of view.

However, what is not always considered is that this was intentional on Sony's part. Sony were concerned that, with the rise of middlware in the PS2 era, that developers would hit a ceiling of quality quite early in the system's life, then struggle to improve upon that. Compare this to the PS2 (comparing something like Driving Emotion Type-S to a later Gran Turismo) or the PS1 (compare Ridge Racer to Ridge Racer HiSpec, or Tekken to Tekken 3). They wanted a machine which would be like the PS1 in this respect.

Conversely, if you compare Gears of War (arguably the 360's first real must-have game) to Gears of War 3, 3 certainly looks better but the difference isn't as great. That being said, Sony's plan didn't really work. Some the PS3's first really good games like Valkyria Chronicles look as good as much of the stuff that ever came out during the machine's life, and later titles that really pushed the system (like Mass Effect 3) can have really severe performance problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Yeah, I have it on my PS3. No idea if it will download if it breaks and I need a new one though. I'm literally keeping it for Outrun 2 on the HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                              There's a tremendous amount of variation, so it's difficult to point out consistent trends for each machine.

If I was to over-simplify, the PS3 generally had higher-resolution visuals (as Sony, being a TV manufacturer, were more committed to 1080p). The 360 generally had better VFX and more even performance. This gives fans, who are on the outside looking in, a bit of a view as to the nature of the tools for creating games on each machine. The machine with more consistent tools will have more consistent performance, and if the platform holder has some "core values", the platform's games usually reflect that.

When "close to the metal", the PS3 could probably get you the best overall result, but the 360 was a much better machine from a developer's point of view.

However, what is not always considered is that this was intentional on Sony's part. Sony were concerned that, with the rise of middlware in the PS2 era, that developers would hit a ceiling of quality quite early in the system's life, then struggle to improve upon that. Compare this to the PS2 (comparing something like Driving Emotion Type-S to a later Gran Turismo) or the PS1 (compare Ridge Racer to Ridge Racer HiSpec, or Tekken to Tekken 3). They wanted a machine which would be like the PS1 in this respect.

Conversely, if you compare Gears of War (arguably the 360's first real must-have game) to Gears of War 3, 3 certainly looks better but the difference isn't as great. That being said, Sony's plan didn't really work. Some the PS3's first really good games like Valkyria Chronicles look as good as much of the stuff that ever came out during the machine's life, and later titles that really pushed the system (like Mass Effect 3) can have really severe performance problems.
                              Interesting points Asura, thanks for typing. The behind the scenes aspects of the game and the interplay of the makers intent with devs capabilities is a fascinating area. Oddly this kind of info used to be a lot more accessible back in the days when I was generally up on it but nowadays its like a modern engine with a plastic sheet across it and a service light on the dashboard as opposed to taking it apart and having a go yourself. If you get where my semi related metaphor is going...

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                              Yeah, I have it on my PS3. No idea if it will download if it breaks and I need a new one though. I'm literally keeping it for Outrun 2 on the HDD.
                              I do believe that you can redownload it legitimately onto another console should your current one throw its hands up and gasp loudly because Sony still have the files on their servers and as long as they support PSN on PS3 you're cool, after that you're assed out. I'd highly recommend just grabbing the PKG installer file and keeping a backup of it to the side because they will eventually delist it good and proper.

Yet another reason why digital ain't all that.

Comment

The Online version is nice to have but it feels so sparse and basic compared to the disc version and the earlier criticism of it being a five minute game does apply to this version. Looks wonderful though and performs like silk.
                                At the start of the XBox 360 life the maxium size for any XBLIVE Arcade game was 50 MB, it went up to 96 MB at the time Castlevania:Symphony of the Night and by the time of Outrun I think the limt was 200 MB;That 's what crippled the port and MS XBLIVE approval process, meant that it wouldn't like to have the lesser version of Outrun and make the XBLIVE Arcade look a poor mans PSN and also like Asura said, the 360 was for most developers, the lead platform.

Its a shame that when MS up the limit to 2Gigs SEGA never looked to update the game on XBLA
                                Last edited by Team Andromeda; 02-05-2018, 15:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X