The Decepticons are the good guys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Decepticons are the good guys.

I've talked a little about this before but thought I'd consolidate and flesh it out a bit here.

Throughout all of the Transformers continuities (the notable exception being Shattered Glass) there have always been the "noble Autobots" and the "evil Decepticons". As a child I accepted this at face value but as I got older — and especially as different continuities appeared — I found myself disagreeing with this assertion.

I believe the Autobots are the evil ones. The Decepticons are the true heroes, and Megatron is about as pure as they come.

In the generally accepted comic book canon Megatron was an energy miner — a nobody, in the grand scheme of things. The Autobots ran Cybertron and a great deal of the Cybertronian government bolstered by the Autobot military (led by Sentinel Prime) was corrupt. It was through this corruption that birthed Megatron and the Decepticons. The Decepticons didn't fight for conquest, they were fighting for their rights. They were fighting for their fair share of energy and a better standard of living, something the corrupt Autobot government would not allow purely for profit-driven class reasons.
    Megatron was effectively trapped in a system where nothing he could do within the law could have a positive effect on the society he was a part of. It was illegal for him to speak up and illegal to organize, and the entire political system was engineered to keep things that way, to keep the ruling class Autobots in power. The only recourse left to him was all-out revolution. Anything else would have been an impotent half-step, an incomplete effort that would have done nothing more than invite the corrupt to improve their ways and make another attempt at takeover.

So, Megatron found himself at the vanguard of a movement to destroy the corrupt Autobot leadership. And how do you go about fighting a corrupt government with a powerful military at their disposal? Through terroristic tactics. Sneak attacks. Backstabbing. It was the only way to break the cycle. "All warfare is based on deception."

Deception. Decepticons.

Did the Decepticons start the war? Nope. It was the Autobots who fired first, both figuratively (through manipulations of corrupt government) and literally (with the attack on the mining team that Megatron was on the receiving end of). Megatron counterattacked in self defense. Sure, he was brutal, but would you really be expected to be gentle if someone was out to deprive you of life and limb?

In the early stages of the war the Autobots never sought peace with the Decepticons, they sought surrender. Of COURSE the Decepticons aren't going to accept that. As the war raged on their pleas for peace were seen, perhaps rightfully so, as the pleas of a society which was almost ready to give up. You can blame Megatron for draining Cybertron of its resources all you want, but the fact remains that the Autobots were draining Cybertron at least as much as Megatron was. And while the Autobots were fighting to maintain the status quo and keep the Autobots in power, Megatron was fighting for equality and the end to political corruption and oppression. If that meant tearing down an otherwise-unresponsive power base and all that supported it, and there was no other way to affect such a change, then wouldn't the end actually justify the means?

So what about Megatron's obvious contempt for other forms of life? My response to that would be, so what? Humans are at least as contemptuous to other forms of life as Megatron is. We humans routinely stomp out ant nests, poison wasp hives, step on spiders, bomb cockroaches, evict bats, and run over squirrels without barely a second thought, and that's just in our domestic existence. In the broader sense of the world humans are responsible for mass deforestation and ecological rape for the sake of providing power, food and shelter for its population. And why shouldn't we? Those "lesser creatures" don't have the same degree of sentience as we humans have and certainly aren't capable of understanding our needs or why we do what we do. In that regard, humans are no different from the Decepticons.

And that's exactly the kind of contempt that Megatron views humans and most other life forms in the universe. The extension of the battle to Earth and the involvement of the humans was just another resource allocation to Megatron. In his eyes, the humans — a species which he generally regarded with the same contempt as we humans regard cockroackes — allied themselves with the power-hungry socially-suppressive Autobot regime. So, from Megatron's perspective, the Autobots landed on an energy-rich planet that the local vermin were willing to share with them in order to maintain their oppressive rule. Megatron would no sooner enter into talks with the human race than we would open negotiations with cockroaches in our homes. What do we humans do when we move into a house or apartment that has cockroaches in it? We exterminate for our betterment. And so does Megatron. So he's not being "evil" there either. He's just got a different perspective which the humans lack, and if you were to ask him, the humans are incapable of even understanding the existence of that perspective.

Optimus Prime is heroic to be sure, but what are his motives? If peace were truly his primary goal then he would have entered into negotiations with Megatron a LONG time ago, with the first concession being the dissolution of the Autobot regime. He didn't do that. Why not? If he were to tap into the wisdom of the Matrix he certainly would have seen the corruption of the Autobots, right?

Unless the Matrix were already similarly corrupted by Autobot sparks. Whoops.

Mind you, this isn't to say that the Decepticons were saints. Many of the Decepticons were psychotic. Shockwave was particularly nasty. But Megatron, like all good military leaders, made good use out of the materials at hand. Who cares if they were psychotic if they helped solve the problem? And when their usefulness has come to an end and they have nothing left to offer the new society, they're discarded. We humans do the same thing; look at our prison system.
    So, there you have it: Autobots are manipulative power-hungry bots seeking to reinstate themselves as the head of a socially corrupt society. Decepticons are desperate terrorists looking to restore their home world and create a dictatorship to ensure Autobot corruption never happens again.

I imagine the negotiations never happened because they'd have ended like this after five minutes

Second I started reading my mind changed the thread title to 'Decepticons are innocent - what is happening to the world?'

Comment

It really made me think though about bad guys and good guys and who really is who... I never even thought the Autobots were so autocratic with their ruthless grip on power but it all makes sense now.

Comment

TLR; That Anna Kendrick gif is

Comment

Mind-blowing stuff, man!

I've posted it before, but I love this review of Transformers 2:

What is the status of the Transformers at the beginning of the film?
          The Autobots have joined the military to hunt down the Decepticons. We’re told the Decepticons are “doing things,” but they appear to be hiding peacefully when the Autobots show up and brutally murder them.

What?
          Yeah. The Decepticons aren’t apparently doing anything, then the Autobots show up, the Decepticons run for their goddamn lives, and the Autobots hunt them down and brutally murder them. It’s kind of weird.

Comment

Yep. You don’t even have to look that deep. I made this point before regarding children’s media messages. Look at the theme song: Autobots wage their battle to destroy the evil forces of the Decepticons. We’re told the Decepticons are ‘evil’ but it’s clear that’s just a justification for what is actually happening in this sentence: the Autobots are attempting genocide. They are the ones doing the destroying. That’s a nasty word. They are waging the battle. There is nothing in the theme song that tells us the Decepticons are actually doing anything.

So the gist of the theme song is that the Autobots are destroying an entire group of people just like them and the only justification given is that they have branded their enemy ‘evil’. And they are the good guys. The message is - if you kill those you perceive as your enemy, you are the good guy. It’s a dangerous message and backs up the theory here.

Comment

It’s the same theme with Killzone.

Comment

I have only read the original UK comics decades ago and some of the us ones at the time and seen most of Superlink and bits of one other recent series so I don't know the history as well as you but that made some interesting reading. I guess it would come down to one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter?

When I saw the g1 series as a young adult after all those years I did think the Deceptions have much more character and personality than most of the Autobots. I still laugh and wonder how they got away with killing all those characters off in the animated film and especially Prime. Also Primes death scene with him fading to grey and all that. I wonder how that effected kids at the time. I think they changed the plot of the GI Joe film after that because they were going to kill off a character too. But I've never seen GI Joe just know it from the Action Force comics here.

Comment

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter?
                  That's it, for me.
                  The Autobots aren't perfect, but the Decepticons have no limits to warfare including using hostages, torture and killing without discretion.

Comment

Working...
                  X