No announcement yet.

Alien vs Predator Jaguar source code released - other Jag sources released too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien vs Predator Jaguar source code released - other Jag sources released too

Source for Alien vs Predator on Jaguar released here by Jag coders:
    Log in to Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family and people you know.

I downloaded it and had a read of the email log within, and also the REM notes in the code, and it's very interesting. They were considering different difficulties for each character, and it's also funny to see all the bugs they had to squash during development.

A whole bunch of other source codes were also released, including for Checkered Flag, Club Drive, Fight for Life, Hover Strike: Unconquered Lands, I-War, and Breakout 2000.

SOURCE CODE : DEMOS DEMO_BIN.ZIP Source code to a demo screen by Mr Spock of TNG . embrace_the_plasma.zip Source code to the demo screen Embrace

This came out a year ago, and no one seems to have noticed. I bring it up, because Jag emulation sucks, but there's a tiny handful of decent games which I'd like to play again. Cybermorph is one, and Alien vs Predator is another - yes, yes, Doom was technically better than it, incorporating pseudo-height, making it a slow, clunky variant on Wolfenstein. But I liked it.

Is there somewhere one can post this information, so as to draw the attention of someone interested in porting it to PC as a free fan project? This would hopefully fix the framerate problems inherent in AvP. I know some guy was trying to mod Doom or some other FPS to be a remake of AvP, but his project died. I would also contact the Atari Jag Emulator people, but of the two main projects, one hasn't been updated since 2014, and the other is Russian (contrary to my Russian topic here, I cannot speak a word).

Anyway, if you like this, try to tell someone about it. Otherwise it's kinda fun to read through this stuff.

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
    Cybermorph is one, and Alien vs Predator is another - yes, yes, Doom was technically better than it, incorporating pseudo-height, making it a slow, clunky variant on Wolfenstein. But I liked it.
    Cybermorph is terrible, but I'd still like to try the sequel Battlemorph. AVP really shows off the potential of the Jaguar hardware - and it's also quite a fun experience. Doom on the Jag is pretty impressive, so another title to show the tech off.

When it comes to Jaguar games I go back to quite often, Super Burnout and Brutal Sports Football are my faves. Tempest 2000 is also really good.

I enjoy reading about the Jaguar, so thanks for the info Sketcz.

Comment

Doesn’t the Jag easily win the “console with no redeeming games at all” award?

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
        Doesn’t the Jag easily win the “console with no redeeming games at all” award?
        I bought one just for Tempest 2000 and AvP back in the day. I had a great time on both.

Comment

RS, You're thinking of the Bandai Pippin or Nokia N-Gage?
          [MENTION=2415]Sketcz[/MENTION], I find stuff like this really interesting. Not what they left in, but what they left out.

Goldeneye Island (and the Rare emulator hidden inside it with Sabrewulf etc.), Professor Oak as the final boss in GB Pokemon using the the one you left behind, GTA Coffe sex thing, loads of Sonic 2 levels (desert etc.) and the hidden job recruitment advert hidden within the Donkey Kong code (revealing Nintendo stole a lot from Ikegami):

I once worked for a company that used software to analyse people's personality strengths and weaknesses.
          I tried to crack how it worked so we could rebuild it for new operating systems.
          Never managed it, but hidden within the program was a massive message from the creator declaring his undying platonic love for some unknown lady. Something like "Bethany, this message is hidden away from the eyes of a world that does not understand the love a man can have for his soul mate".

He sounded totally friend-zoned to me, but it was like finding a little bit of treasure and I was really excited.

Once I found that Easter egg, I was able to take part in the race through New York on my Akira bike.

Comment

I remember the Jaguar being lauded at the time for its Doom conversion more than anything else, back when you otherwise needed a relatively powerful PC to play the game in your own home. That and Tempest 2000, but I never enjoyed it. Always seemed to me like a big budget Amiga shareware game on more powerful hardware, not a ‘killer app’ game unless you were really into early ‘80s arcade games.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I once worked for a company that used software to analyse people's personality strengths and weaknesses.
              I tried to crack how it worked so we could rebuild it for new operating systems.
              Never managed it, but hidden within the program was a massive message from the creator declaring his undying platonic love for some unknown lady. Something like "Bethany, this message is hidden away from the eyes of a world that does not understand the love a man can have for his soul mate".
              He sounded totally friend-zoned to me, but it was like finding a little bit of treasure and I was really excited.
              Oh poor innocent QualityChimp, to conclude from that Bethany message that it's a message of "undying platonic love for some unknown lady". When I read the Bethany message I concluded it was more like this. The clue is in the words that "the world does not understand".

Anyway, I did not know you were a computer programmer!

Once I found that Easter egg, I was able to take part in the race through New York on my Akira bike.
              What does this mean?

Comment

1. May have been a car, but pretty sure it said woman.

2. I'm not a computer programmer. That's probably why I couldn't replicate it.

Comment

Carrying on from that bit about the Goldeneye Island:

Comment

Or, more recently, Uncharted 2:

Comment

Stop ruining the magic Chimpy!!!!!

Comment

You don't have to watch them!
                        I love seeing the ingenuity of the designers.

Comment

Can't say I heard much at the time on this either, but maybe one day fan ports of the game will appear on modern system. As Sega have the license currently I doubt very much they will do a new version of the Jaguar game.

Comment

Nah, obvs I'm just hoping for a freeware fan-port to Windows, that improves the framerate.

Some guy was working on porting it using Doom, but it's seemingly died:
                            A total conversion for GZdoom of the Atari Jaguar classic Alien vs Predator.

Comment

Working...
                            X