No announcement yet.

The first time you played Super Mario World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting a lad in the USA, he had been living in our village, with his dad being stationed in the UK. I was 12, and enjoyed the adventure of flying over. We hit arcades mostly, but one day we went to a shopping Mall and he showed me the NES demo booth with SMB. Loved it, but went for a SMS instead. It was fun to see him show me the first level warp, by running ontop of the bricks. «But you are breaking the game» I said, then the warp select screen appeared and I was in awe of the way they designed the game. Didnt play it again until I got an import SFC and mario all stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

Family holidays on the Isle of Wight and the entertainment centre had one of these in it with SMW and F-Zero and possibly something else. They also had an SF2 can and I remember playing that with my Dad who was cheesy AF with Blanka.

Anyway, Christmas 1992. Opening presents. Got the SNES with SMW bundle. Epic. I then remember we had some smaller presents later in the day and got an extra pad and SF2. Sweet!!

Comment

A rich family friend's house. We were not allowed consoles. My siblings and I were blown away.

It was painful. More so because of how crap the kid who owned it was at playing it.

Look at me now! Trying to get everything I couldn't have back in my youth

I still fantasise about bumping into that rich kid and showing them my gaming goodies! Knowing full well that they would shrug their shoulders and think that I was a 40 year old virgin.
        Last edited by Zaki; 13-05-2018, 18:52.

Comment

Zaki, most people’s adults lives are in many ways attempt to compensate for the slights, real or perceived, of their childhood and as such there are truly very very few adults in the real sense of the world as most “grown folks” are just kids in bigger bodies as is amply evidenced by the world and the people in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            I didn't play it at launch, I was solely Mega Driving it at the time. First time I'd have played it would either have been via my cousins SNES or via this curiousity:

I enjoyed it but wasn't knocked for six. At a later time I got a SNES (after SF2T came out) and played it more then which is when I came to properly appreciate it. And yes, yes it is a much better game than Yoshi's Island.
            Same here, I remember these SNES machines having a really tight time limit, so were very unpopular and disappeared very quickly.

Comment

I've written a 750 word piece for a SNES book on SMW, but obviously I can't really post it here in full heh. But I'm going to repeat the most pertinent paragraph from it...

Sometimes you encounter a game that can teach you how to play by itself, but not in a tutorial fashion like many modern titles. This is the beauty of Super Mario World’s level design, and why some of the best designers work for Nintendo. When done correctly, it feels so natural you barely notice it. Each stage as you progress through the game allows you to experiment with the basic mechanics, then introduces a simple challenge, and gradually starts building on top in a variety of ways. Albeit when you finally reach the Special Zone, it’s more like a constant slap to the face, shouting that you’re not worthy.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

This is the truth. The first time I played Super Mario World was like, meh. I didnt think the graphics were great, I didn't think the audio was special and I didn't think it was an amazing game. I didnt say it was a bad game though. I went back to playing my Mega Drive and PC Engine.
                The game that impressed me was F-Zero.
                Last edited by Yakumo; 14-05-2018, 15:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  This is the truth. The first time I played Super Mario World was like, meh. I don't think the graphics are great, I don't think the audio is special and I don't think the ts an amazing game. I didnt say it was a bad game though. I went back to playing my Mega Drive and PC Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    So true but I will stand my ground

Comment

I agree with you, tbh.
                      I'd rather have been playing a ninja, barbarian, kung-fu cop, mech-suited SWAT officer and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I agree with you, tbh.
                        I'd rather have been playing a ninja, barbarian, kung-fu cop, mech-suited SWAT officer and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                          The first time I played Super Mario World was like, meh.
                          What do you think of the game now? Do you like Super Mario games in general?

I know people who don't like Super Mario games, so they don't get what all the fuss is about. I would say the main reason I love a game like Super Mario World, is because the controls feel so responsive and satisfying. If that aspect were broken, like it is in many platformers, it wouldn't receive such acclaim. Nintendo managed to get the controls and feel just right with Super Mario Bros, which made sure that bigger, more ambitious games like SM3 & 4 were a huge pleasure to play through.

With Super Mario World, I can look at it and see why someone might not have seen it as something special back in 1990-1992. It's not a showcase for the hardware, despite having charming graphics and lots of things to like about it. It's actually quite strange how Nintendo decided to make Mario World quite a simple game in many ways, rather than saying to the developer "Make it 8MB - and fill it full of special effects and content." What we got instead was a charming game that didn't have loads of 'wow moments' and content to discover. But what it did deliver was expertly crafted to make the experience nothing less than a pleasure to play.

Comment

Wasn’t a fan then and still am not - can see why other would think it’s a great game though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              What do you think of the game now? Do you like Super Mario games in general? .
                              Super Mario World was the first ever Mario game I had played. I did own it and did complete it but it was never something that amazed me. I had a lot more fun with Kirby to be honest despite those games being more "standard" platformers.

Comment

SMW as a straight forward game is pretty straight forward, mostly a continuation of SMB3. I think my respect for it mostly kicked in when going for all 96 levels.

Demolishes any Sonic game though, the Hedgehog has never hit Mario's heights.

Comment

Working...
                                X