PS4 or Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS4 or Switch?

My wife saw some lovely earrings in NYC and I decided to buy them for her anniversary present.

Yesterday she asked if there's anything I'd like for mine and what could be more romantic than a PS4 or a Switch?

But which one???
    • PS4: I haven't even played on a PS4 yet, but if I get one then there'll be cool cinematic stuff like The Last Guardian and God of War, and of course Shenmue 3. And also Shenmue 1/2. And FPSes. I can get the most out of our new 50" TV. I CAN BE INSIDE THE GAMES
    • Switch: I briefly tried Mario Odyssey on a friend's Switch and it was as magical as I expected it would be. I'm sure I'll have a lot of fun with a Switch. Plus, there's the portability factor.

I have a PS3 and it's getting long in the tooth. However:

a) I have a whole bunch of games I'm still playing or haven't even started yet, and (importantly)
    b) I rarely game these days

I've limited my gaming time to weekend mornings when I can get a solid 2-3 hours of uninterrupted gameplay, or more if I wake up earlier.

I reckon a PS4 will mean mostly solitary gaming - as is the case with my PS3 - but if we get a Switch, we'll actually play games together. We have wicked SMK/DKC sessions on the SFC Mini and a Switch would mean newer Mario Karts and stuff like that.

Buy a Switch, lure your wife into playing games, watch as she becomes the Switch main user, buy a PS4.

Comment

I got rid of my Switch due to having practically no content in the library I wanted to play, and a pretty barren looking future. It has a ton of potential but I think it’ll go unfulfilled, and to be honest I think the unit itself needs a bit of a redesign as the controls are pretty crappy and the whole thing doesn’t have that well built Nintendo feel of old. It’s actually left quite a bad taste in my mouth, I don’t think I’ll ever buy a Nintendo system again.

PS4 is more suited to my gaming tastes, though in saying that I don’t exactly buy a lot of games on it either. It’s the only system currently that has any titles coming that I’m interested in though, so it’s the only natural choice for me with current gen systems.

So not much help from me, just my opinion on both!

Comment

Most of the people who don't have time for regular gaming talk about how the Switch has opened up more windows for them to fit in an hour here or two hours there. Handy if the Mrs. is taking up the TV or if you ever go on boring trips anywhere.

I'll be getting a PS4 if Nvidia's new GPUs cost more than a PS4 Pro and a PSVR unit combined, because there's no chance I'm spending more than 800 on a PC component. That would purely be a VR purchase, because to be honest I've still got tons to play on the PSOne that I haven't gotten around to yet.

Comment

DKC? Well the WiiU/Switch one is glorious, so there is that too.

Comment

The one that can do VR because vr is amazing

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I just realised that I won't be wearing the earrings so why should I consider multiplayer in this scenario?

Comment

Of the two I prefer the PS4, because I like driving games best of all genres, and they are better represented on the PS4.

However, I love the Switch as well. If playing your games on the go is important, then it's a no-brainer, unless you want to go down the Vita-PS4 route, but that is worse and more of a faff than doing it on Swtich.

Comment

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  I just realised that I won't be wearing the earrings
                  You give up too easily Billy.

Originally posted by randombs View Post
                  so why should I consider multiplayer
                  Because marriage is the longest multi player game you will ever play.

Comment

I was going to recommend Puyo Puyo Tetris for multiplayer, but you can get that on the PS4 too.

To be honest there's only really MK8D which is suited for local multi. Until Smash hits (and I doubt she'll be interested in that...) I can't really think of anything else.

Obviously I'm not thinking about the indie stuff which, like PPT, is likely cross-platform anyways.

Comment

My son is getting a Switch for his birthday, so I can't honestly comment until I've played it, but I got a PS4 Pro for my birthday last year and I LOVE it.

I have a stack of PS3 and 360 games I thought I'd go back to, but I ended up playing Fallout 4 for ages.
                      I fancy something lighter now - oh look! Parappa The Rapper is on sale!
                      Wow, Star Wars Battlefront makes you feel like you're IN a Star Wars film!
                      Oh look, I have a load of PS+ games - Bloodborne, Mercenary Kings, Mad Max, Resogun etc.
                      Wow, what's in this sale? Absolute Drift: Zen Edition and Mother Russia Bleeds? I've want to play those for ages.
                      Oooh, Nex Machina looks brilliant!
                      Wow! Superhot! I've been eyeing that for ages.
                      Oh, everybody keeps going on about Life is Strange, let's try that.
                      OK, I'll take the plunge on Monster Hunter: World!
                      FAST FORWARD THREE MONTHS OF BEHEMOTH SLAYING
                      Hmmm? Trine 2 is 3D? Let's try that out.
                      Let's play some Lego Marvel Avengers with my son.
                      No Man's Sky is on sale and there's a massive update coming, I'll take a punt.
                      Sleeping Dogs for three quid? I'll play that again for the DLC alone!

That's how my year with the PS4 has gone. It's amazing and I've got loads of games to still play without even contemplating VR!

I also use it as my ents hub, watching 3D Blu-Rays, Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube on there.

I don't think I'd maximise the potential of the portable aspect of the Switch.
                      As a dad, I never find myself with nothing to do, so firing up the Switch out and about isn't likely to happen.
                      Last edited by QualityChimp; 14-05-2018, 08:40.

Comment

I'd go for a switch for Nintendo magic personally.

Mostly because I haven't bought a new game since Mario Odyssey was released. Massive backlog and 90s arcade gems have taken up my time.

Comment

PS4 as the Switch is expensive even for indies and you could pick up a catalogue of great games for under £7 each.

Comment

I don't game on the go and even if I had a Switch I wouldn't take it on the train because that's my Kindle/music/LBC time.

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                            PS4 as the Switch is expensive even for indies and you could pick up a catalogue of great games for under £7 each.
                            This is a very good point. I love the little games and Sony has really good sales so I could buy lots for not much. In fact, I already have a few cross-platform games already(like Resogun and Hotline Miami).

I've been considering getting a PS4 and then a Wii-U for Nintendo stuff and hack the bejesus out of it.

I do love Nintendo stuff but I'm fickle and worry that I'll get a Switch but still pine for the typical PS4 fare.

Comment

For most people the PS4 is such an easy slam dunk choice in this head to head, good as the Ninty games are you'd currently not be missing much by leaving the NS to a later date.

Comment

Working...
                              X