• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV|Shark 016: Alan Partridge

The Day Today
    Ran: 1 Series (1994)
    Episodes: 6 Episodes
    Following the characters origins on radio, Alan first appeared as part of this comedy show as the sports presenter. Though short lived the show was enough of a launch pad that Alan would very quickly re-emerge later the same year in his own show.

Knowing Me, Knowing You
    Ran: 1 Series (1994-1995)
    Episodes: 7 Episodes
    Delivered in the format of a spoof chat show, the Alan led series showcased Partridge's speciality of making any situation awkward. Interviewing guests, each played on Alan's failings and parodied well known real life interviews leading up to the infamous final moments that defined the character ever afterwards where he shot and killed a guest on air.

I'm Alan Partridge
    Ran: 2 Series (1997-2002)
    Episodes: 12 Episodes
    For many, these two series are Alan's defining moments. In the years following the on screen guest shooting, Alan's career is almost over bar a stint on Radio Norwich. Living from a Travel Inn following a failed marriage, he has only his assistant Lynn and the hotel staff for company. The second series moved Alan in with his new Ukranian girlfriend living on the building site of their new home as he made desperate attempts to revive his career. Responsible for a large number of fan favourite moments, the show also sowed the seeds for Alan's big screen moment.

Alan Partridge: Welcome to the Places of my Life
    Ran: 1 Special (2012)
    Episodes: 1 Episode
    This one off episode followed on a long time after the previous series and begins as a travelogue of Alan's life before descending into darker territory as Alan's personal demon's once again get the better of him.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
    Ran: 1 Movie (2013)
    The next year Alan returned in his hit big screen entry that saw him still living life as a Radio Norwich presenter but also finding a moment back in the spotlight as a hostage situation unfolds as the station giving Alan a moment to put himself back in the centre and potentially revive his failed career. The film was a success entirely on the basis of its low budget and appeal to UK audiences with the movie making £9.8m against a £4m budget but scoring immense critical praise.

Alan Patridge's Scissored Isle

Ran: 1 Special (2016)
    Episodes: 1 Episode
    Alan returned to screens with this special that saw him present a mockumentary on the North of England, exploring the divide between each end of the nation's classes.

This Time with Alan Partridge
    Ran: 1 Series (2018)
    Episodes: 6 Episodes
    Alan will finally return in series long form later this year with this new show that see's him finally reviving his TV career. The show see's Alan given the lifeline of co-presenting a weekly One Show style mid-week news story show. What could go wrong?

Share your thoughts an memories of Alan's career! A-ha!

*COUGH* Mid Morning Matters *COUGH*

Comment

(the radio shows of KMKYWAP as well, they're awesome)

Comment

I've still never gotten around to listening to the radio stuff or reading the auto-biography. What's so great about Partridge is the scatty nature of the content. It means you don't get much of one particular thing but it's amazingly consistent and has really helped promote the idea that Alan might be real

Comment

Yes, also the live shows that are on DVD and the comic relief stuff he did. It really is phenomenally consistent. The film is probably my least favourite part of the run.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
            I've still never gotten around to listening to the radio stuff or reading the auto-biography. What's so great about Partridge is the scatty nature of the content. It means you don't get much of one particular thing but it's amazingly consistent and has really helped promote the idea that Alan might be real
            The book is fantastic in audio book form as its narrated by Steve Coogan (in character as Alan Partridge), hearing about his formative years is fantastic and it follows his career all the way through from a quite obviously very normal and boring childhood to his downfall and exile to late night local digital radio. Their are bits of it that crack me up like him saying he had a hard childhood because his dad made him pick up grass cuttings in the rain once, It really plays to his clueless bitter nature.

He also reinterprets lots of famous scenes form the tv show falsely like the "smell the cheese you mother" bit or the episode where he meets the mentalist super fan, its a great bit of writing that adds to these scenes and his lies and retelling of these iconic scenes make them even funnier.

Comment

Bondathon. That's all I need to say.

Comment

There was a one off interview about his autobiography too, where he read sections from the book and elaborated on it. I remember the look on his face when it dawned on him that his father could be a paedophile. Priceless.

It was called Open Books
                Last edited by prinnysquad; 14-05-2018, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                  Bondathon. That's all I need to say.
                  Ooh, bit of bush!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    I've still never gotten around to listening to the radio stuff
                    I'd urge you to check out the radio Knowing Me, Knowing You, it works brilliantly and I think a lot of it is better than the TV show. It's great, check it out, you'll love it!

Comment

There's a bit on the radio version where he's desperately chasing a free stay at a stately home owned by The Duchess Of Stranraer (Rebecca Front).

It just sticks in the mind. Classic Partridge. Pathetic, desperate to be around the snobboes, dismissive of anything else.

He's a total beta Basil Fawlty.

Comment

Definitely going to look up the non-TV stuff, I think I missed that Sky One special as well

Comment

"I am – and always have been – an only child. But I would have loved a little brother to play football with or bully. I'd rush downstairs every Christmas morning and rip open my presents, hoping against hope that one of the boxes contained a human baby. It rarely did."

From I, Partridge.

There's also a 2nd book called Nomad, haven't read/listened to that yet though.

Comment

Partridge has given me so much pleasure over the years. I loved both the radio and tv versions of knowing Me Knowing You but the character really hit his stride with I'm Alan Partridge. Endlessly quotable and re-watchable.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X