Pennyworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pennyworth

'Pennyworth,' a 10-episode, straight-to-series order, will be an origin story about Batman's best friend and butler, Alfred Pennyworth.

A show focused on Alfred, Bruce Wayne's butler, is in the works for US channel Epix. The new show is disconnected from any other property and focuses on 1960's London as Alfred works his way from an SAS operative to becoming Thomas Wayne's butler.

This doesn't sound so much like scraping the bottom of the barrel as climbing into the barrel and using the bottom as the opening of a thousand-foot mine-shaft.

Comment

When I read the title, I thought this was about the IT clown but this is an even worse idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        When I read the title, I thought this was about the IT clown but this is an even worse idea.
        It's just the creative nadir. We're at that stage with superhero movies where licensors are scrambling over each other, desperate to get their claws into anything which might be even tangentially related to a known property in that area.

Comment

The laugh is this comes from the head of Gotham, a show that's already covered this more efficiently whilst still pushing its narrative to get Batman references in. This doesn't stand a chance.

Comment

Finally! The show nobody has been waiting for!

I can't believe Gotham is still going, tbh.
            "Let's make a show about Batman, but here's the twist - Batman isn't in it!"

Comment

To be fair, I do really enjoy Gotham. Season 1 was a strain but it's remarkably good at portraying that gothic Gotham vibe and villains aspect since then, it's purely it's timeline that causes it issues. The same show with a grown up, active Batman could have worked out well for them

Comment

I'm sure it works OK, like any crime show, but the hook is really unappealing.

I'd like to see Batman show more of his tag "World's Greatest Detective".
                In all the film, some flamboyant boss turns up and Batman has to punch his flamboyant goons or use gadgets to defeat them.

There are a few moments in the comic where he uses those skills like he smells a ransom tape to deduce where a kidnap victim is being held.

Comment

Ironically it was ditching the crime procedure approach that made Gotham start to work. I still don't get why Warners will churn out a sea of DC series on all their characters but Batman himself is so off limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                    Batman himself is so off limits.
                    "Jewel in the crown" I assume. I honestly think Batman is the apex of DC's properties. They might consider Superman to be it, but I honestly think Batman is the best thing they've ever produced.

Comment

Batman's a funny one for me. For a very long time I easily preferred Superman, finding little interest in Batman. But over the past few years the two have levelled out a lot. I think I find Superman to be the better and more interesting character, Batman is a little boring but the opposite is true of the world they inhabit with the supporting characters, villains and Gotham incredibly good - better than anything similar from other properties.

Though all that goes out the window once Batman vs Superman scenarios come up, such a ludicrous contest

Comment

British platinum-selling singer Paloma Faith has scored the key role of the ‘big bad’ of the first season of Epix’s Batman prequel series “Pennyworth”. The ten-episode series stars Jack Bannon as Alfred Pennyworth, a former SAS soldier in his 20s in 1960s London who forms a security company and goes to work with billionaire Thomas […]

The first season villain has been cast - Paloma Faith

Comment

Epix has premiered a new trailer for the ten-episode Batman prequel series “Pennyworth” along with announcing a July 28th premiere date for the series. Set in 1960s London, Alfred Pennyworth (Jack Bannon) is a former British SAS soldier in his 20s who forms a security company and goes to work with a young billionaire Thomas […]

The 10 ep Season 1 hits 28 July 2019, first trailer is out:

Comment

New trailer:

Comment

Working...
                            X