Disestablishing the Church of England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disestablishing the Church of England

I feel like every thread that touches on religion needs around a hundred disclaimers with even a search only coming up with one result, ironically a decade old thread bemoaning the state of religion orientated threads.

So, this is just to discuss the below, it's not a broader discussion on the usual beliefs vs beliefs line

The Archbishop of Canterbury has stated that he believes the disestablishment of the CofE that would see it lose all its privileges would be difficult but not a disaster for the Church. The query was presented to him, it seems, because of the role they Church plays in state functions such as this weekends wedding or in British politics by default despite criticisms that that contradicts modern British society which is increasingly multi-cultural.

The rest of the questions he was posed are what you'd expect but it's interesting to revisit the above because of how intrinsically linked the Church is to government historically. To remove them would effectively open the doors to changing the way they are able to have a say in the very decisions this country is guided by, possibly the way our children are educated and some of the traditions we uphold as a country.

I imagine most here wouldn't mind this ever coming to pass but there will undoubtedly by people in the country who oppose it, can you see a downside for the Church or the Government if they were to pursue this big change down the road?

I don't see this happening in my lifetime. Not that it would bother me.

My bigger worry is the recent increase in funding for "faith schools", something which I think should be flat-out illegal - and that comes from someone who went to one, and was taught things from people I was told to trust that were reprehensible (e.g. "AIDS is the gay plague" etc.).

Comment

I have an outsider's perspective that comes from one very specific place: the hold the Catholic Church has had in Ireland. By comparison, the Church of England has always felt so chilled and civilised. Easygoing and pleasant. Not really getting all up in people's faces but just being there for those who want it and otherwise being pretty inoffensive. I actually have no idea of what it affects in day to day issues or how it impacts things like education, for example.

The one big thing on my mind here would be that a separation of church and state in the UK would have a massive influence on those who want to see it happen here, where it feels like it would have a much bigger and more positive impact.

Comment

I support separation of church and state, as should be the case in a modern democratic country. I also support doing away with monarchy and the creation of a secular federal republic.

Comment

The link says that the House of Lords reserves 26 of its seats for CofE figures, that alone seems like a ridiculous state for the country to still be in. Though like Asura says, school separation from Faith alone is massively essential to happen at some point, you'd hope

Comment

Ah, the R word.

All you need is hitch....

A collection of Christopher Hitchens' best jokes and sharpest replies from various debates.

Comment

I'm a supporter of antidisestablishmentarianism.

Comment

It’s slightly OT

But it one of the best, ‘hitch-slaps’ of all time....

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                  The link says that the House of Lords reserves 26 of its seats for CofE figures, that alone seems like a ridiculous state for the country to still be in. Though like Asura says, school separation from Faith alone is massively essential to happen at some point, you'd hope
                  TBH I think the House of Lords as a whole rather than just the CofE members, is a redundant way for old rich people with old ideas to get more money no doing anything/ not letting change happen because change is scary. I can see experience can be a good thing but the more I hear about reports of people nodding off/ paid to sit for 40 minutes of nothing the more I care for it less.

I'm 100% against faith schools. Outside after-school activities/ lessons in merit of cultural community as an optional activity, sure if more people are involved in it. Just not a "fact" as school tries to teach. I'm one who sees teaching and the role of a teacher to give the tools of knowledge and encouragement to give kids and young adults the optimism and abilities to learn and explore things for themselves.

I agree the CofE community are more open-minded in my experience but feel there is room for change to have this country adapt more to its people that have always been multicultural, being an island nation and all.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I'm a supporter of antidisestablishmentarianism.
                    I always suspected you were the Iceberg himself. Related and interested:

Much like the church this edifice is an imposing, useless money drain that attracts morons except the metal one doesn't hurt little boys.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      Ah, the R word.

All you need is hitch....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PokuvW-DCmk
                      Hitchens, Dawkins, Stephen Fry, Ricky Gervais, they're as silly and fundamental as the silly fundamentalists they argue with. But Frankie puts it better than I can:

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Monkey View Post
                        Hitchens, Dawkins, Stephen Fry, Ricky Gervais, they're as silly and fundamental as the silly fundamentalists they argue with. But Frankie puts it better than I can:

No comparison mate

Comment

The Hitch vids were brilliantly entertaining.
                          I think in terms of the subject they confronted him with, it's key interest is in how traditionally it's been so intertwined with so many of the countries institutions and that that persists even now despite there clearly being no justification for it. His willingness to quite openly answer the question, given his position, makes me wonder of the CofE see's it as a more likely future event given their decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                            The Hitch vids were brilliantly entertaining.
                            I think in terms of the subject they confronted him with, it's key interest is in how traditionally it's been so intertwined with so many of the countries institutions and that that persists even now despite there clearly being no justification for it. His willingness to quite openly answer the question, given his position, makes me wonder of the CofE see's it as a more likely future event given their decline.
                            FW to 8:10

I’ll let hitch do the talking......

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                            Last edited by dvdx2; 19-05-2018, 06:22.

Comment

Yep. These things cannot be compared to Ricky Gervais being a knob on Twitter. When it comes to institutionalised religion and its effects and those who ideologically oppose it, the idea that both sides are as bad as each other is wrong, dangerous and does a huge disservice to those affected both past and present by the hold of a large number of churches.

Locally for example, one side covered up decades of abuse in very recent history, took babies from unwed mothers and dumped them in septic tanks and the other side has asked that maybe we not do that. These things are not the same but opposite.
                              Last edited by Dogg Thang; 19-05-2018, 08:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X