Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the Nintendo 64 Mini happening or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They physically wore aware as the mechinism itself had the bottom of the stick shaft rubbing against a plastic surface, not unlike a hip joint.

The plastic would wear down, the stick would become shorter and flop around and then the dust from ground down plastic would then block the holes that the optical mechanism used to measure the stick movement.

I'll be amazed if they fire up the factorys to produce those when there are pefectly goog modern equivalents that even the chinese knockoff USB n64 pads use
    Last edited by EvilBoris; 20-05-2018, 11:32.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
      the dust from ground down plastic would then block the holes that the optical mechanism used to measure the stick movement.
      A spot of WD-40 works wonders here.

Analogue dust is still a problem with all controllers to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
        A spot of WD-40 works wonders here.

Analogue dust is still a problem with all controllers to this day.
        There was often some thick grease in the bottom of the mechanism, but it wore away with time and would even end up in the optical area when it shouldn't have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
          Right, I'm gonna stand up for the N64 controller here. What were people doing with them?

I had a console for years, and during my childhood might've played on it what will probably have averaged to maybe 2hrs per day, and at the end of its life, the controller (which was the original supplied with the machine) was fine, no marks around the stick well, no loose stick, no scratches...

But when you would go into a 2nd-hand games retailer back when it was contemporary, all of the 2nd-hand pad sticks would be trashed!

I honestly don't know what people were doing that was causing these problems.
          Agree. Used the same stick sine day one Japan release. Still use it today. Works fine. Thousands of hours racked up.

Comment

Was just looking around and spotted this:

I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t obsessed with retro video games. That’s one of the reasons I was so excited about the NES Classic Edition; it’s also why I spent my Thanksgiving documenting how to put together a Raspberry Pi-based mini SNES instead of brining turkeys. But building an emulation console from…

$200 is a lot for a Pi in a box with a clone controller but the fact that its all configured and ready to roll with no faff on is a huge plus. Has anyone used emulators via Lakka before? The front end and implementation looks dope:

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Right, I'm gonna stand up for the N64 controller here. What were people doing with them?
              But when you would go into a 2nd-hand games retailer back when it was contemporary, all of the 2nd-hand pad sticks would be trashed!
              I honestly don't know what people were doing that was causing these problems.
              I seem to recall Mario Kart had a special move which required rapid thrashing of the stick left and right.

Back in the day, around when Goldeneye came out, a guy brought his machine for us to play at school during lunch. He brought three controllers. We'd each bring our own because two of his were thrashed to hell. One of them had the grey gunk around the stick, and I'm not exaggerating for effect, maybe only managed 40% of the range it should have. It was literally unusable - we only used it when playing fighters and could use the d-pad. We gave those pads hell when playing. Remember, this would have been our first taste of analogue sticks, so we hammered them like we did d-pads. Even my SNES and Mega Drive d-pads died eventually, when the rubber layers inside them disintegrated. (These days I tend to be more gentle.)

I opened up my N64 pads and put Lithium grease in there, which helped a bit, but of my three pads two got the stick rot. The only one that never seemed to go bad was a crystal blue pad I bought off a guy on here many years back. That thing was smoother than my new bought grey pads. May have been an import...

I'm wondering if different regions had different quality controls?

I have never seen a 2nd controller in a store that was usable. They've all been write offs.

Maybe you just have very cushioned thumbs? Are you a hand model perhaps?

Last edited by Sketcz; 20-05-2018, 16:42.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                Was just looking around and spotted this:

I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t obsessed with retro video games. That’s one of the reasons I was so excited about the NES Classic Edition; it’s also why I spent my Thanksgiving documenting how to put together a Raspberry Pi-based mini SNES instead of brining turkeys. But building an emulation console from…

$200 is a lot for a Pi in a box with a clone controller but the fact that its all configured and ready to roll with no faff on is a huge plus. Has anyone used emulators via Lakka before? The front end and implementation looks dope:

Laggy as hell. Not worth the time. Unless you're one of those numpties that can't notice 7-8 frames of input latency.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                  Laggy as hell. Not worth the time. Unless you're one of those numpties that can't notice 7-8 frames of input latency.
                  Ah well, another one bites the dust.

It’s crazy how many people don’t notice the mad lag so many of these devices have. One of the many things the SNES Mini got right.

Methinks that a small PC based emulating device under the TV is really the best way to go in terms of quality and breadth of systems.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                    Ah well, another one bites the dust.

It’s crazy how many people don’t notice the mad lag so many of these devices have. One of the many things the SNES Mini got right.

Methinks that a small PC based emulating device under the TV is really the best way to go in terms of quality and breadth of systems.
                    Original Xbox is still excellent. Ouya with a fightstick similarly great.

Comment

Without a doubt the OG Xbox rules supreme for me as well because it does absolutely everything oh so well. If only there was a proper HDMI mod or the Component cables weren't a billion pounds.

Currently looking into the Wii U as an emulation device as it can handle everything Nintendo officially/native and apparently the RA implementation is supposed to be good as well. The Shield TV also gets good reports.

Comment

NES Mini
                        Announced: July 2016
                        Released: Nov 2016

SNES Mini
                        Announced: June 2017
                        Released: Sept 2017

So far the Mini hardware announcements have been mid-Summer and the release dates anywhere from early-to-late Autumn. Expect the same for the next (N64 or handheld) Mini?
                        Last edited by D J Kix; 21-05-2018, 15:30.

Comment

Hope there is an N64 Mini!

I'm no longer willing to plug up old hardware and bother putting up using eBay for old games, especially N64 stuff. Question is, some of the best games for N64 were made by Rare, could Nintendo get Rare games (Along with the bond license) on it?

Comment

Originally posted by D J Kix View Post
                            NES Mini
                            Announced: July 2016
                            Released: Nov 2016

SNES Mini
                            Announced: June 2017
                            Released: Sept 2017

So far the Mini hardware announcements have been mid-Summer and the release dates anywhere from early-to-late Autumn. Expect the same for the next (N64 or handheld) Mini?
                            They've already announced this year will see the NES Mini return for another spin.

Originally posted by Wools View Post
                            Hope there is an N64 Mini!

I'm no longer willing to plug up old hardware and bother putting up using eBay for old games, especially N64 stuff. Question is, some of the best games for N64 were made by Rare, could Nintendo get Rare games (Along with the bond license) on it?
                            Hackers will do what Nintencan'tduetolicensingandbeingabitcrapoverallwh enitcomestoRare.

Why does the forum automatically add in extra spaces I didn't order? [MENTION=25]charlesr[/MENTION]

Comment

Probably a vbulletin setting for removing long strings from insert statements, to counteract database hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                                Probably a vbulletin setting for removing long strings from insert statements, to counteract database hacks.
                                Heheheheh

Comment

Working...
                                X