Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is the Nintendo 64 Mini happening or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea if Nintendo are able to get the emulation running perfectly with all the games they'd want to include on an N64 Mini. In the world of emulators, no-one has managed to make an N64 emulator that plays all sorts of games really well. There are always issues in one area or another.

So I can only guess that Nintendo might still be working on the emulation side of things. If they can't get all(maybe 20 or so) games to run to an acceptable standard, they won't consider releasing the machine. Maybe they've run into problems and that's why we haven't seen the expected announcement of the machine. I don't think Reggie would divulge that sort of information, but there has been evidence to suggest that the company is planning to deliver an N64 Mini to the market.

Comment

They’ll sit on an N64 mini till they need to juice hype for the brand and swell the quarterly numbers a bit IMO. They’re riding pretty high right now so I don’t think it’s required. I also think it is a chunkier proposition as others have pointed out, since simple emulation won’t do the job in making a lot of these games palatable to gamers of today. I think they’d also want to look at lessening fog and increasing frame rate in some titles.

Comment

Are they somewhat doomed to disappoint in that regard? If they have it like an authentic N64, it will look like smeary mush but if they don't it might be seen as inauthentic and not really delivering that nostalgia kick?

Comment

When will we get the WiiU classic?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            When will we get the WiiU classic?
            Small form factor WiiU? Switch launched last year...

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
              Are they somewhat doomed to disappoint in that regard? If they have it like an authentic N64, it will look like smeary mush but if they don't it might be seen as inauthentic and not really delivering that nostalgia kick?
              I guess they could include three modes: Original; Clear; Enhanced

So you'd have options for an authentic soft look, clear sharp graphics, or an enhanced more HD style.

Maybe Nintendo have just decided that it's too much bother trying to get the emulation to run 100% and make the games look how they'd want them to.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-11-2018, 02:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                I guess the could include three modes: Original; Clear; Enhanced

So you'd have options for an authentic soft look, clear sharp graphics, or an enhanced more HD style.

Maybe Nintendo have just decided that it's too much bother trying to get the emulation to run 100% and make the games look how they'd want them to.
                The N64 VC games on Wii look excellent to me

Comment

Originally posted by Jaz View Post
                  The N64 VC games on Wii look excellent to me
                  I have Wave Race on the Wii from the VC and think it looks and plays authentically. How many N64 games were on the VC?

The thing with N64 emulators, is you can have one game running really well, then another game will have serious issues. I have no idea if Nintendo have their own emulator that runs all N64 games perfectly. Maybe with the VC they had to configure/optimise things for each specific game.

I'd be happy with games just looking clear and sharp on the N64 Mini -- I don't want blurriness or enhanced graphics.

Comment

I have Wave Race on the Wii from the VC and think it looks and plays authentically. How many N64 games were on the VC?

The thing with N64 emulators, is you can have one game running really well, then another game will have serious issues. I have no idea if Nintendo have their own emulator that runs all N64 games perfectly. Maybe with the VC they had to configure/optimise things for each specific game.

I'd be happy with games just looking clear and sharp on the N64 Mini -- I don't want blurriness or enhanced graphics.
                    21 USA

Comment

Wouldn't optimising for each specific game be just fine because they only need to support those included with the system?

If I were Nintendo, I'd just select games that are already on VC. Ideally, games that were on the Wii VC because I'm sure whatever SoC they use would be more powerful than a Wii.

Comment

21 USA
                        Originally posted by randombs View Post

If I were Nintendo, I'd just select games that are already on VC. Ideally, games that were on the Wii VC because I'm sure whatever SoC they use would be more powerful than a Wii.

[All 21 N64 games released for the Wii Virtual Console]

Looks like a very attractive list of games. Seeing that Nintendo have previously emulated them all perfectly, they could easily get them running the same on a Mini console. We might not get to see RARE developed games, but I think the 21 games above would be satisfactory. Of course, it would be great to have RARE games and titles like the Turok series, but I think a lot of people would still be reasonably happy with the 21 games listed above.

With that list in mind -- I now see no good reason why Nintendo wouldn't release an N64 Mini. I have a feeling that Reggie just didn't want people to expect the machine this year. I think we might see it next year -- maybe in the autumn.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-11-2018, 06:18.

Comment

[All 21 N64 games released for the Wii Virtual Console]

Looks like a very attractive list of games. Seeing that Nintendo have previously emulated them all perfectly, they could easily get them running the same on a Mini console. We might not get to see RARE developed games, but I think the 21 games above would be satisfactory. Of course, it would be great to have RARE games and titles like the Turok series, but I think a lot of people would still be reasonably happy with the 21 games listed above.

With that list in mind -- I now see no good reason why Nintendo wouldn't release an N64 Mini. I have a feeling that Reggie just didn't want people to expect the machine this year. I think we might see it next year -- maybe in the autumn.
                          I have those 21, a couple of Japanese exclusives, Donkey Kng 64 on the WiiU and most of the Rare games on Xbox One. Xbox also has remasters of Turok, Turok 2 and Forsaken. The only games I'm missing that I would like are Diddy Kong Racing and Space Station Silicon Valley.

Comment

Diddy Kong Racing and Space Station Silicon Valley.
                            It would be great if those two were included with the N64 Mini. Tetrisphere would also be a nice addition.

Comment

Working...
                            X