Flashbacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashbacks

So, am currently on holiday in Lanzarote. Me, the wife, her parents, Harry and Nancy. Having a nice time now that the sun has decided to make an appearance.

Anyway, my wife packed the toiletries for the trip which included a Herbal Essences shampoo which I didn't really think about.

Had a shower this morning and used this shampoo for the first time (for some reason I'd been using the baby shampoo until now) and I was instantly hit with a flashback to one of my trips to Tokyo and all the memories that I associated with it.

Anybody else have random things trigger memories of the past?

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
    Anybody else have random things trigger memories of the past?
    Yeah, quite similarly, one of our scent plugins is an "essence of Japan" thing and one of the scents it cycles through is tatami. It always reminds me of Japan in the summer.

Comment

The smell of creosote takes me right back to childhood summers.

Comment

Wax on, wax off?
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
          So, am currently on holiday in Lanzarote.
          Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            Wax on, wax off?
            A co-worker painted her fence over the weekend and I bemoaned last time I did that it took ages and I couldn't do karate.
            She looked blankly at me and I had to explain The Karate Kid to her.
            Youth of today, man.

Comment

Another one for me. I recently was given a car air freshener by Auto Glym and that smells exactly like the air freshener used in the lift at Gamers in Akihabara!! It's was like I was there.

Comment

Madonna's Vogue gives me flashbacks to playing Paperboy on my Amstrad.

And conversely, playing Paperboy brings Vogue into my head.

Comment

Had this happen the other night on twitter, someone was talking about Fleer Ultra X-Men trading cards and it instantly hit me that I had collected that specific set they were talking about, I used to buy a couple of packs a week but every Wednesday they had a trading club at 4pm where you could go and trade with people for free to complete your binder.
                  That memory took me straight back to that place as a teenager buying comics and trading cards with people, I had honestly forgot about the cards but the memory was so vivid I could remember the time and place.

I do find music takes me back to specific times and places most of the time though.

Comment

The sense of smell is processed in the limbic system which also handles emotion and long term memory.

Time travel is a wonderful thing and the human body and the way its wired is equally fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      The smell of creosote takes me right back to childhood summers.
                      Same! My dad covered anything that didn't move in creosote!

Comment

Smell of exhaust fumes still reminds me of the ice cream van that would park up at the car park on the estate, everyone would queue up and slowly inhale exhaust fumes killing our lungs for delicious ice cream or ice poles depending on how hot it was.

Comment

I did a wicked fart today and it reminded me of the time I last did a wicked fart.

Comment

Auld farty horse

Comment

Yeah, the smell of those tar burners they have for roads or people's flat roofs remind me of burning hot summers and BMXs.

Also, the sound of The Specials, album tracks "Concrete Jungle" and "Doesn't Make It Alright" remind me of being 10 or 11 and me and my mates having to run home from the park or the local church disco, to save getting my head kicked in by glue-sniffing and high Skins with ridiculous 20 hole cherry red Doctor Martens on.

Also, the sight of dry ice instantly takes me back to a blues party in Woolwich, SE London on NYE in 1985 or 86, when there were so many people rammed into a council house on Burrage Road, that condensation and sweat dripped off of the ceiling and when the DJ's opened the living room window behind the speaker stacks, the cold air poured in like dry ice. It was amazing. Also: Boxer Julius Francis was the party security and tried to rip me off on the entrance money - this was 14 years or so before he became a punch bag for Mike Tyson, but he wasn't to be messed with (and I was just a 15 year old fat white kid!). Thankfully, my mate wasn't having any of it and as I was down with the sound system guys, he gave me the right money in the end.
                              Last edited by gunrock; 21-05-2018, 21:15.

Comment

Working...
                              X