Retro Arena: Neo Geo Scrolling Beat 'em Ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
    SNK did a lot of things right on the Neo but scrolling beat-em-ups really weren't one of them.
    They didn't excel at them. I guess it was different back then, when I think about it. Like I love Streets of Rage II but that was designed to be sold to a home market, so you could play it time and time again.

Arcade games back then were often flash-in-the-pan, or simply novelties. Loads of them are quite poor when you think about it, but they had loads of big sprites and were great fun for the price of 20p or even 50p, for ~5-10 minutes and often never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
      Nope. They are all crap, and I too am a fan of the Neo-Geo. Let's try being honest instead of trying to be revisionist just for the sake of starting a thread like this.
      I've agreed with you that they're not top quality examples of the genre, so saying I'm being "revisionist" isn't fair. It's clear that you really think all four games are "crap", but some people actually have a soft spot for some of them.

My personal opinion is that a game like the original Sengoku is truly complete rubbish, but Sengoku 2 is a decent game. I also find Robo Army to be a nice looking, reasonably fun game. Mutation Nation also isn't bad.

When I make these threads, I have my personal opinion of each game, but I have zero problems with people not sharing my opinion. You think all four games are terrible, so I appreciate your honesty. I find it interesting to see what other people think about all sorts of games.
      Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-05-2018, 23:44.

Comment

The entire genre is crap really. Apart from Kung Fu Master, but I might not even like that today. I remember playing Double Dragon in the pub but it was so long ago (when it came out basically) that I can't remember if I liked it or played it just because it was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          The entire genre is crap really.
          Get. Out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            The entire genre is crap really.
            Whaaaaaaat?

I honestly think Streets of Rage II is a genuinely brilliant game.

Comment

I prefer Final Fight, but overall the SoR triology is better than the FF. Big Sprites always seem to pack a more satisfying thud, somehow.

I haven't played any of these Neo Geo ones. I think the PSP Neo Geo compilation has Sengoku, so I might try that, the above comments notwithstanding.

Comment

I have to preface this by saying that beat'em ups are among my favorite genres, next to fighters, shmups and run 'n gun.

Yes, many people feel they get boring quickly, but I really don't. Instead I greatly enjoy the "feel" of each one, admire the setting, look at the different types of enemies...and if it has CoOp, even better!!! When I got my PS4 copy of "99Vidas" some time ago in this incredible collector's edtion, I was excited to try the game....but man, for me it turned out to be really FANTASTIC! I love games like these.

It's true, the Neo Geo had so much potential, and it's a crying shame we got so few beat'em ups on it. I keep trying to talk NG: DEV.Team into making one, but no luck so far.

But I'm surprised to read all these less than enthusiastic comments here....everyone just likes to play AAA games here, or what? :-p

None of the four is on par with "FInal Fight" or "Streets of Rage 2" or maybe even "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", sure. But I find them all really fun.

"Roby Army" and "Mutation Nation", I got both as a kid back then, and of course I was mighty impressed by the sounds and visuals. MN plays really really well, I think, while RA excels at atmosphere....it's a really moody game, particularly the first stage.

I was lucky enough to get the first "Sengoku" for 12€ a couple of years ago and while I have to admit it doesn't feel too great to play, I like the idea of those two "worlds" and the character transformations. "Sengoku 2" is way better though, in every regard, and it builds really well on the first game.

"Sengoku 3"....I have to play that more. Very very surprised by your negative reactions, though.....I was extremely impressed when I first played it, the visuals alone are outstanding!

So this is my pick for this one, although I really like all four games. But I might change my tune once I've dove deeper into it....maybe I'll do that tonight!

Comment

Side scrollers have to have a run function, otherwise they can be abit slow paced

Comment

In retrospect I was amazed by the stellar reviews Burning Fight used to get, it’s a subpar product at best. Many Neo-Geo scrolling fighters suffered the same fate with Sengoku 3 potentially being the one that plays most like a Capcom fighter. It’s a shame that it’s so repetitive as it’s got a fantastic art style and has some lovely music. In fact the music is the best thing about it, the China level is amazing. It totally could have done with more than two enemy types though, it’s so very dull.

The only good thing about the others is the nostalgia over seeing the reviews of them in CVG. I wanted a Neo so bad in those days.

Comment

That's what kills it, the lack of enemies and just reusing them in different colours. Shame after they obviously put so much effort in to the main character sprites.

Comment

Not to derail this thread, but yeaaaah, "Burning Fight"....

Its screenshots really spoke to me when I was a kid. Those detailed tile walls!!!! Also liked the colorful graphics in general and the way the characters looked. When I got the game I still liked it a lot, probably mostly because it's on Neo Geo and its stages feel wonderfully Japanese in terms of atmosphere, but gameplay is by no means near "Final Fight", "Streets of Rage" and others. Feels kind of ....stiff, in a way.

I still play it time and again though.

Comment

Burning Fight takes a lot of flak on here, but it never diminishes my liking for the game. Sure, it isn't up there with the finest, but I've always enjoyed it, and at the time it was pretty awesome at home. I think if I was to pick me favourite of the genre it would be either The Punisher arcade or Batman returns on SFC though, although that's a bit of a cheat due to the single plane levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                            I honestly think Streets of Rage II is a genuinely brilliant game.
                            It is a brilliant game.

I can see why some people don't like the 'scrolling beat 'em up' genre, because the style of gameplay can feel basic and repetitive. But for people who 'get' the genre - there's a lot of pleasure in venturing through levels beating up bad guys and taking on powerful bosses.

Also, the quality of games in the genre varies wildly. You have rubbish like Rival Turf on the SNES - and top quality examples such as Streets of Rage 2 on the Mega Drive. In the arcades, you had truly brilliant games like AVP and Dungeons & Dragons.

So as much as you could say the genre is best suited to the arcade, lots of people still wanted arcade action in their home. Streets of Rage 2 is easily one of the most loved and cherished retro games that really was a huge thing back in the day.

Originally posted by Samuray View Post
                            Not to derail this thread, but yeaaaah, "Burning Fight"....

Its screenshots really spoke to me when I was a kid. Those detailed tile walls!!!! Also liked the colorful graphics in general and the way the characters looked. When I got the game I still liked it a lot, probably mostly because it's on Neo Geo and its stages feel wonderfully Japanese in terms of atmosphere, but gameplay is by no means near "Final Fight", "Streets of Rage" and others. Feels kind of ....stiff, in a way.

I still play it time and again though.
                            I remember playing it in an arcade back in the day and enjoying it. I didn't manage to get a Neo Geo, so it wasn't until Neo Geo emulation appeared that I got to play Burning Fight in the home. It's a lot like Final Fight, but with a bright shiny aesthetic compared to the grim, gritty world of FF. I like this alternative look and overall vibe, as it's a nice contrast to Final Fight. The gameplay feels a bit too simple, but the graphics and character designs are decent quality. Going in the shops and smashing everything up is still fun. So, it's not a brilliant example of the genre, but a reasonable experience for fans of scrolling beat 'em ups.

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                            I think if I was to pick me favourite of the genre it would be either The Punisher arcade or Batman returns on SFC though, although that's a bit of a cheat due to the single plane levels.
                            Two golden classics that are still a joy to play through. I was playing Batman Returns the other day - and it still impresses what Konami managed to deliver in all departments. The Punisher is one of the true greats of the genre that delivers comic book action in brilliant style.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 26-05-2018, 10:17.

Comment

If there is one thing wrong with Burning Fight it’s the punch animation. Most other beat em up’s have a punch cycle that starts and then ends with a knockdown. It kind of “locks” you in place until the punch cycle ends. Burning Fight doesn’t have this, it has this flimsy open ended punching animation that doesn’t lock into place and the character just flails around wildly until the enemy dies. It feels really loose compared to the tight gameplay of Capcom fighters. Like most Neo games it looks nice but those early games suffer greatly in the gameplay department.

Comment

Originally posted by Arashikage View Post
                                Like most Neo games it looks nice but those early games suffer greatly in the gameplay department.
                                Yeah, it's easy to tell it's not as refined and well crafted as the best Capcom beat 'em ups. Konami also did things better. But I do have a soft spot for Burning Fight and go back to it now and then.

Comment

Working...
                                X