Retro Arena: Neo Geo Scrolling Beat 'em Ups

Robo Army - 1991

Mutation Nation - 1992

Sengoku 2 - 1993

Sengoku 3 - 2001

Which one do you like the most?

Christ, none of them. Sorry for not making much contribution

Comment

Sengoku 2 is one of my earliest Neo Geo memories of loving a game on the system, I still give it the odd play through now. Sengoku 3 on the other hand, I can't stand it, truly awful. Robo and MN, I'll still play them once in a blue moon as to be honest I just love scrolling beat 'em ups in general, even the crappier ones. Sengoku 3 can still ram it though.

Comment

I'll give some of them a go later. I spotted double dragon the other day and loaded it up only to find that is wasn't the double dragon I know but was a Vs fighter! Wtf!

Comment

Where's Burning Fight and KotM2?

Comment

Sengoku 3 is the only one i don't like, what a crock of turd!

Do have a soft spot for Robo Army but Mutation Nation is whey cool. Under voting conditions id prob go for SG2.

Burning Fight would be the noicest of choices tho

Comment

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
              Christ, none of them.
              You really hate all of them?

Originally posted by Colin View Post
              Sengoku 2 is one of my earliest Neo Geo memories of loving a game on the system, I still give it the odd play through now.
              Yeah, the best game in the series, and a decent entry in the genre.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              I spotted double dragon the other day and loaded it up only to find that is wasn't the double dragon I know but was a Vs fighter! Wtf!
              I wish it were a scrolling beat 'em up, but it's actually a pretty good fighting game. The graphics and music are high quality.

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Where's Burning Fight and KotM2?
              I put Burning Fight in a previous 'Retro Arena' contest. Is KotM2 a scrolling beat 'em up?

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post

Burning Fight would be the noicest of choices tho
              I like Burning Fight, but it has been featured previously.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-05-2018, 21:46.

Comment

Robo Army has the best cover art:

I suppose Burning Fight, but scrolling beat-‘em-ups really weren’t SNK’s forte... that’s where IGS and the PGM come in to play. In fact, even Capcom and Konami were pretty bang-on and had some right crackers. Alien vs Predator is pure quality and 4 player Ninja Turtles with your mates is amongst the best things ever.

And I could never understand why Double Dragon ended up as yet another Vs. Fighter, when they could have taken the opportunity to do an amazing side scroller, especially when the system was crying out for a decent one.
                Last edited by _SD_; 24-05-2018, 19:56.

Comment

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                  Robo Army has the best cover art:
                  I agree.

Originally posted by _SD_ View Post
                  And I could never understand why Double Dragon ended up as yet another Vs. Fighter, when they could have taken the opportunity to do an amazing side scroller, especially when the system was crying out for a decent one.
                  Yeah, a Double Dragon scrolling beat 'em up that took full advantage of the Neo Geo hardware could have been something special. It's a huge shame that it didn't happen.

Comment

They are all abit rubbish Leon; think you meant to put,

Cadallics and dinosaurs, Final fight and AVP......

Comment

Gonna have to concur with [MENTION=2587]samanosuke[/MENTION].

SNK did a lot of things right on the Neo but scrolling beat-em-ups really weren't one of them.

All of the aforementioned titles in the opening post of this thread, like all of the other Neo scrolling beat-em-ups, are pure garbage.

Comment

Ok, sengoku 2 is decent.....

Comment

Sengoku 2 is not completely sh*t. That’s about the most I can praise any of them. And I love the Neo.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post

Cadallics and dinosaurs, Final fight and AVP......
                            That's a good idea. I will make a Retro Arena pitting some of Capcom's finest scrolling beat 'em ups against each other.

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                            like all of the other Neo scrolling beat-em-ups, are pure garbage.
                            Fast food type of games. Not the best quality, but strangely moreish.

Originally posted by samanosuke View Post
                            Sengoku 2 is not completely sh*t.
                            It just pongs a bit next to the finest examples in the genre.

I can recognise that all Neo Geo scrolling beat 'em ups aren't top quality, but some have enough thrills to make them reasonably enjoyable.
                            Last edited by Leon Retro; 24-05-2018, 21:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              Fast food type of games. Not the best quality, but strangely moreish
                              Nope. They are all crap, and I too am a fan of the Neo-Geo. Let's try being honest instead of trying to be revisionist just for the sake of starting a thread like this.

Sengoku 2 is also garbage. I'm sorry, but it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X