Consistency is Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consistency is Key

Since Solo's release last week I've seen it mentioned online several times as to whether the legendary status of the franchise is now dead and buried forever and whether there are now more bad Star Wars movies than good ones.

It got me thinking, what is the most consistent franchise in terms of quality bar across the board. That doesn't mean one with the most number of amazing entries, it might only have one or no amazing entries, simply being pretty steady across multiple entries is the key here.

The obvious answer for many is the Marvel Universe movies however, as much as it is consistent it's also a collection of franchise rather than one consistent run. Break it down into its individual character franchises and you'll see the fluctuations are there.

So, which ones are currently the most consistent franchises in the movie world?

James Bond probably. A few not great ones but basically solid I reckon
    Star Trek? More consistent than Star Wars anyway!

Comment

Fast and Furious. And yes I'm serious.

Yeah, the Marvel films would definitely be right up there for me and I think the fact that it involves many different mini-franchises within that big one makes it all the more impressive. Even the weaker ones are up to a certain standard.

Comment

I immediately expect backlash but... Jurassic Park

Entries get regular bemoaning on the internet but whilst I feel the individual strengths and weaknesses can be debated, I don't feel there's a truly bad entry in the series as yet with all four being easy, likeable watches.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
          Fast and Furious. And yes I'm serious.
          Speaking as someone who honestly quite likes them, I still can't stand 2 Fast.

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          No chance. 3 is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          James Bond probably. A few not great ones but basically solid I reckon
          Star Trek? More consistent than Star Wars anyway!
          Bond I think gets some props because of the quanitity of films vs consistency. It still has some real low points though; I struggle to even remember Quantum of Solace. Die Another Day wasn't great but at least I remember it.

Trek has V and Nemesis, also Into Darkness... I didn't think much of Beyond either. In my case, Nemesis was enough to really affect the series in my eyes.

I think, if I'm to suggest one, it's the Disney Animated Movie Canon. It has a few mis-steps; The Black Cauldron isn't great,and Disney would probably prefer people forgot Home on the Range, but I think for their target audience, every single one of those films is fantastically entertaining for children and families. Also there are such a large number of movies along with that consistency.

Comment

I think all the Mission: Impossible series have been good and have been consistently improving.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              I think all the Mission: Impossible series have been good and been consistently better.
              Yeah, I think those are pretty consistent. They're also quite different movies too, with ones like 1 being more thriller-based and 2 being balls-out "Action Woo". I wasn't too fond of 3 but people in general liked it.

Comment

See, I enjoy Jurassic Park: The Lost World enough but I prefer Jurassic Park III to it. The third film has some... questionable elements, but it's a leaner entry where I enjoy it's dabbling with the horror vibes with the Raptors etc. It never goes off the deep end like Lost World does with its San Diego ending. World gets a ribbing at times but it's a solid film, just an overly familiar one to the original. Hopefully Fallen Kingdom shows some new direction for these additional films.

Star Treks a funny one. It's quality bounces around a lot but it's close to 50/50, a bar Star Wars is close to tipping past against itself.

Comment

M:I 3 had an excellent baddie in Philip Seymour Hoffman.
                  He didn't need to resort to shouting to be intimidating or have the old Bond trope of being disfigured.

Comment

JP3 was my favourite of the bunch. I found 2 to be pretty weak. Haven't seen the recent one/s.

Comment

Potter?

I thought they evolved really neatly and although I missed the whimsical magic japes of the earlier films by the time of the double finale, but the story had to go somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        M:I 3 had an excellent baddie in Philip Seymour Hoffman.
                        He didn't need to resort to shouting to be intimidating or have the old Bond trope of being disfigured.
                        Everyone says this, but I didn't find him intimidating at all. I don't want to speak poorly of the dead, though, and he was a great actor, so I'll just leave this.

Comment

That bit where a small charge detonates in the team member's head and she goes boss-eyed was dark and when PSH has been captured and he's noting their names to punish them and their loved ones later was really intimidating and he wasn't really doing anything.
                          It was like a sinister "don't tell him your name, Pike!"

I'm not a fan of him as a person, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post

Entries get regular bemoaning on the internet but whilst I feel the individual strengths and weaknesses can be debated, I don't feel there's a truly bad entry in the series as yet with all four being easy, likeable watches.
                            I'd agree with this. Looking forward to 5.

Comment

I find all the Final Destination movies stoopid fun. And the Saw movies are kinda consistent.

Comment

Working...
                              X