Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to see what the news of today would be but it looks like a second day of MP's and others mourning the death of the UK

Comment

Yeah, nothing is happening except everyone is saying they're really cross and it's just really not on, is it?

I mean we have an online petition of course. Those are always useful, rather than being completely ignored.

Comment

The timeline seems to be that there'll probably be a vote of no confidence in which case Johnson will call a November GE to force No Deal again. If he loses the vote of No Confidence and the opposition are able to agree a temporary coalition Government can he still call one though?

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
          The timeline seems to be that there'll probably be a vote of no confidence in which case Johnson will call a November GE to force No Deal again. If he loses the vote of No Confidence and the opposition are able to agree a temporary coalition Government can he still call one though?
          If he loses and there is a credible alternative with parliamentary majority then he's got to step down and it's out of his hands, I think? But that would require Corbyn stepping back and allowing a moderate Tory like Ken Clarke in as caretaker PM, so it's probably down to Corbyn's ego now really.

Comment

I don't even think BoJo has to step down in the event of a vote of no-confidence. Like I don't think it's binding in that way.

A no-confidence vote just suggests that without the whip, a PM is unable to push through legislation, as the majority of the house has lost confidence in their leadership. This means a PM would, normally, step down, because their position becomes a bit pointless. BoJo has a unique situation here because if the government does nothing, we get a No-Deal Brexit. If that's what he wants, he'll stay in power until the clock runs out regardless.

Comment

According to the BBC procedural timeline thingy (link below), the government has to feck off if they lose a vote of no confidence and there is "clear an alternative government commands the majority of the house". If they lose and there isn't a clear alternative then they get a second chance and can stay on: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46890481. Whether Johnson et al. would honour procedure is another matter, of course. Probably they'd find a way to slither out of it.

Comment

The Belfast court case to block proroguing Parliament has been moved forward to 12pm today
                Last edited by Neon Ignition; 29-08-2019, 11:09.

Comment

The Belfast case has now been adjourned until 10am tomorrow

Comment

Well a lot of my suppliers have started sh*****g the bed on prices and their business practices.

My bulk ingredients have gone up slightly already due to “brexit” reasons from uk suppliers.

Technical ingredients I’ve been buying from Germany in small amounts have sky rocketed in price and I now have to buy twice as much in one go, so that’s brilliant.

Plus some small to med size suppliers have switched to factoring, which doesn’t really affect me on that side as i don’t owe anything anyway.

So year brilliant, so glad my bottom line is being affected by this, cheers everyone.
                    Last edited by fishbowlhead; 29-08-2019, 12:12.

Comment

The Shadow Attorney General and a leading Conservative No Deal opponent have both said they believe there is now enough MP support across the parties to quickly pass a change in the law that would remove No Deal as the legal default and replace it with the forced requirement for the Prime Minister to request an Article 50 extension.

Amazing how the ticking clock galvanises people suddenly. Ken Clarke has said that if steps could be taken to ensure that Labour wasn't able to implement aspects of their manifesto whilst in charge of a caretaker government he would now back Jeremy Corbyn to become Caretaker Prime Minister.

Two of the legal cases against the governments plans will have their outcomes today. A third from Gina Miller is currently under review in London and John Major has now added his support for this third case.

Comment

New update from the live feed:
                        The Scottish case has been temporarily denied. The judge has said that he wants to review the entire case and so a final verdict has been delayed till next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Comment

Live update:
                          Beautiful. The Judge in the Scottish case has said that before he delivers his final judgment next week he wants a sworn statement - under oath - from Boris Johnson stating specifically why he is choosing to prorogue parliament for five weeks. If Johnson fails to provide this statement he could be called up to provide evidence. The judge has explained that he has refused to deliver an interim block on proroguing parliament because his final decision will be delivered in time to accomplish the same outcome should the case fall that way.

The third London case has been granted and will be heard next Thursday.

Comment

Live Update:
                            The second case seems to have gone the same as the first with a decision having been kicked into next week so the judge can get a better read of the situation and also see what Parliament does when it reconvenes next Monday.

Comment

Live Update:
                              The Belfast Court, in their case over proroguing parliament, have permitted the man who brought the case forward to submit formal papers to seek an injunction that will force Boris Johnson to reverse the decision to prorogue parliament by 02 September 2019.

Comment

Live Update:
                                Boris has responded by saying that efforts to block No Deal are harming the UK's chances of striking a deal with the EU and thereby make No Deal more likely. He adds that the current direction of the government makes agreeing a deal more likely than before. In opposition to that the EU and Merkel have stepped in to say that in the last 9 days there have been no discussions with the UK government regarding a new deal proposal as Johnson hasn't raised anything regarding an alternative to the backstop, once again exposing his weak lies.

Comment

Working...
                                X