User Tag List

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    Feels to me like this is less about reviewing the actual games and more about reviewing the definition of 10/10.
    Since none of us have read the review or played the game it's all we've got

Next: Super Mario Odyssey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: [URL=http://www.trueachievements.com/Superman+Falls.htm][IMG]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/Superman+Falls.png[/IMG][/URL] PSN ID: CTNext Steam ID: SupermanFalls
    That's one thing for Mario Odyssey, maybe it's just me, but I do feel like I haven't seen that much of it overall which is quite refreshing. I think I'm mostly just hopeful that it feels like a full blooded major Mario game. I really did enjoy 3D World but there was that faint whiff of spin-off about it. Really odd but if never did feel like it was a successor to Galaxy

That was possibly because it was an extension of an existing 3DS game that was pretty great but didn't really feel unique in the first place.

I really should be doing something more constructive than lookning for Switch deals today. I havenít been this hyped for a release in well, probably Halo. It may end up being a very expensive day :/.

How many times has Mario sold you a console?

He made me buy 5.

SNES - Super Mario World
    GB - Super Mario Land
    N64 - Super Mario 64
    GameCube - Super Mario Sunshine
    Wii U - MarioKart 8

I bought other Nintendo consoles for:

NES - Duck Hunt
    DS - Metroid Fusion
    Wii - Wii Sports
    3DS - Monster Hunter
    Switch - Zelda
    Last edited by hudson; 13-10-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Falls View Post
    I really did enjoy 3D World but there was that faint whiff of spin-off about it. Really odd but if never did feel like it was a successor to Galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    That was possibly because it was an extension of an existing 3DS game that was pretty great but didn't really feel unique in the first place.
    Pretty much sums it up.

SM3DW is a fine game (and I say that as someone who was "Oh it's just SM3DL in HD" sceptical about it originally) but it wasn't completely satisfying in the way that 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Galaxy 2 were.

Next: Super Mario Odyssey
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: [URL=http://www.trueachievements.com/Superman+Falls.htm][IMG]http://www.trueachievements.com/gamercards/Superman+Falls.png[/IMG][/URL] PSN ID: CTNext Steam ID: SupermanFalls
    Thinking on it I've only been sold 1 console on the direct basis of Mario which would be the N64.
    The games too often arrive post-launch so it's mostly other games that sold me in the first instance. I was slow to the SNES, it was Megaman 2 that sold me the NES, Mario was much less of a concern with Gamecube because Sunshine looked ropey straight from the initial reveal, I wasn't sold on Wii even when I bought it, WiiU was bought without any real consideration to Mario. It's part of why I have a Switch but I don't think a single Nintendo game holds that power anymore, they need a selection to open wallets as WiiU seemingly proved.

Quote Originally Posted by Asura View Post
    Although you're entitled to your opinion, I really think people underestimate Halo in hindsight. I even used to know a guy who was big on his video games criticism who echoed Yahtzee Croshaw's opinion that Halo was "elevated mediocrity", which made my blood boil in a way your comments don't, as that was being all pretentious about it..
    Look I was the original XBot on here (was even called that on here back in the day) and still more for the XBox platform, but Halo wasn't a revolution really, it was more the game scale on a console was somthing new, Yes To me it was a 10 out 10 game, but that's because it was so good to play, rather than it what it did new. Steel Battalion only gives you 1 life a 50 button controller, but I wouldnt say that makes it a 10.

Edge old scoring system was a joke as games like Mario IV or Street Fighter II could never a score a 10 under EDGE old review system. Despite Mario IV being perfection it was nothing new and so no 10 from EDGE, Street Fighter II when reviewed by EDGE only scored an 8 despite its being a revelation for VS fighters, even if it wasn't new in gameplay terms

Yes, its a little SEGA bias, but Phantasy star online should have been a 10 it was a true 1st for consoles and I also thought F1 GP2 should have been a 10. It was not only a perfect sim, but almost every driving game since as copied and used in on-screen driving aids for driving, braking lines and still many sim racers can't match it gameplay

EDGE should never have communicated any such criteria for a 10/10 score. If they think a game is worthy then let the copy tell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Look I was the original XBot on here (was even called that on here back in the day) and still more for the XBox platform, but Halo wasn't a revolution really, it was more the game scale on a console was somthing new, Yes To me it was a 10 out 10 game, but that's because it was so good to play, rather than it what it did new. Steel Battalion only gives you 1 life a 50 button controller, but I wouldnt say that makes it a 10.

Edge old scoring system was a joke as games like Mario IV or Street Fighter II could never a score a 10 under EDGE old review system. Despite Mario IV being perfection it was nothing new and so no 10 from EDGE, Street Fighter II when reviewed by EDGE only scored an 8 despite its being a revelation for VS fighters, even if it wasn't new in gameplay terms

Yes, its a little SEGA bias, but Phantasy star online should have been a 10 it was a true 1st for consoles and I also thought F1 GP2 should have been a 10. It was not only a perfect sim, but almost every driving game since as copied and used in on-screen driving aids for driving, braking lines and still many sim racers can't match it gameplay

Jesus, let's change the record TA, the old edge system needed an industry changing game to score a 10, it didn't need to be perfect (ie every facet of the game being utter literal perfection), it needed to smash and shake up everything we'd previously thought was the standard and do it in amazing fun ways.

Those days of industry shifting ideas and games are gone and will never happen again. Which is why they had to change their standards, and even wrote an article explaining such when they changed it.

Back to Odyssey.