[NSW, PC, PS4, PSV] Fallen Legion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[NSW, PC, PS4, PSV] Fallen Legion

One more thread lost in the Great Database Debacle worthy reopening as the Switch version was recently published by NISA, with the subtitle "Rise To Glory".
    Initially published on the PS4 and PS Vita, Fallen Legion is the first (and so far only) title created by YummyYummyTummy Games, a software house created by one of the masterminds behind Siliconera. To tell the whole thruth they even approached me for a review of both games, which I did.
    Fallen Legion is split into two campaigns, Sins Of An Empire and Flames Of Rebellion, originally exclusive to the PS4 and Vita respectively. These campaigns follow the same story, only seen from Cecille's (PS4) and Laendur's (PSV) point of view.
    Some time later the PS4 got the missing campaign as DLC, and the PC received a version of the game with both campaigns, called Fallen Legion +. Fast forward to July 2018 and the Switch gets Rise To Glory, essentially a port of FL+. As of today, the PSV still has only what is effectively half of the game available.

Focusing on the technical side first, I've played FLRtG for two hours docked and less than one in handheld, and performance is on par with the PS4 in both modes, although loading times are longer. Fallen Legion on the PSV suffered from a slower framerate and several frame skips which made, and Fallen Legion requires precise timing for blocking and attacking. The Vita also had some minor problems with the interface and some graphical assets, which again aren't present on the Switch. The only thing is both Switch and PSV don't properly antialias certain sprites, but the effect is much more pronounced on the Vita; I'll probably fire up the PS4 version to see if I just missed that.
    Ever since its inception Fallen Legion had only one savefile per campaign, so the first thing I've tried on the Switch was to start both campaigns to see if there was a single savefile for the whole game. Luckily each campaigns are managed separately, and switching (eh eh) between them is easy.

About the game: your character commands three Exemplars, personifications of legendary heroes brought forward by magic. Each Examplar is assigned to one of the face buttons, with X (or triangle on Sony consoles) plus the control pad used to cast support spells. Shoulder buttons are used to guard, shift formation, or use special attacks.
    Fighting is in real time, and a perfect block not only will negate damage, but will also stagger enemies, and replenish one action point to the Exemplars. Action points are used to attack.
    Fights can become pretty chaotic, especially later in the game, with large sprites, lots of effects, and the need to pay attention to your units' and enemies' position and animation windup. As with fighting games all attacks can be interrupted by faster attacks, and guarding will cancel all your attacks.
    In the beginning fights are very button-mashey, but as you progress the game demands to you for precise inputs, and after you've mastered the mechanics, figths are rather fun to go through.
    Cecille and Laendur can choose between 6 Exemplars, each with her own capabilities. Possibilities in party creation might no be endless but sure are a lot, which are then further enhanced by Chaos and Order variants of Exemplars.

One major aspect in Fallen Legion is to make choices: throughout missions you'll be asked to resolve several events that will increase or decrease your troop's morale, influence locations you can visit, how NPCs will interact with you, bonuses you'll get in battle, and which path your Exemplars will take.
    Unfortunately this is also the biggest problem of the game because Fallen Legion doesn't really explain who or what you're asked to decide upon. Loading screens tell some of the backstory, but in one occasion I was presented two names and only after I discovered one of those was a noblewoman and the other was the country she was ruling; at first I've thought those were both people.
    I don't need for the game to tell me everything beforehand, but surely Cecille and Laendur would know what they're dealing with and could give just a few pointers.

Anyway, I've enjoyed my time with Fallen Legion and Rise To Glory might very well be the best version of this game yet as it features both campaigns and can be enjoyed both at home and outside seamlessy. Well, the PC version might very well be the same, but I don't own it.

Working...
X