Sound levels out of whack (PS3/PS4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound levels out of whack (PS3/PS4)

Sound levels in films and TV programmes I watch on Netflix, BR, etc, via my PS4(and previously, PS3) are all out of whack. What’s going on?

Any time I’m watching a film, I have to keep the remote close by to turn it up during talkie bits and then down again during action/music-heavy scenes. Same thing happens with games. Often, sounds that are really close by but not directly in front are super quiet.

The consoles’ BR/DVD players have DRC but it rarely helps enough(and obviously doesn’t apply to Netflix, etc). I’m not sure, but I think DRC only works if the disc has the relevant DRC info. I’ll check this.

I’ve gone through the audio settings and forced stereo and PCM output but I’m starting to wonder if the PS4 actively downmixes the 5.1 to stereo before sending it to the TV. I’ve also tried bitstream but didn’t notice a difference. Maybe this stuff is all mastered for home theatres?

Seinfeld on Amazon Prime is another annoying one. The bass guitar is super loud compared to the talking and audience sounds.

Im going to look for a 5.1 testing video and hear what it sounds like. But is there something really obvious I’m missing here?

Thanks!

I just remembered the PS4 is connected to the TV’s ARC HDMI port. I think the TV tells it what it supports because there’s a distinct lack of audio options in the PS4 settings compared with what I used to see on my old TV on the PS3.

Comment

Working...
    X