User Tag List

Dreamcast: Is this a 3.3v machine?

After a bit of research, I think this is probably a 3.3v Dreamcast that is compatible with the GDEMU. But before I buy it, I thought it best to check on here and see if anyone knows?

I want a Japanese machine to make sure there aren't any problems with games running at 60Hz. I have a launch JP Dreamcast that isn't compatible with the GDEMU, so I need another one for that purpose.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-06-2018 at 04:42 AM.

Ahhhh. Get higher, baby!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Paleboy PSN ID: paleboy1970 Steam ID: paleboy
    Will post back later but there is usually a 0, 1 or 2 on the back that I don't see there.

I recently had all three models of NTSC-J DC pass through my hands and noticed that none of them had the little 0, 1 or 2 (maybe thatís a EURO and NTSC-U thing)

Anyway, not sure if this helps you?

Edit - now that Iíve compared, I would say the one you posted could be a VA2 model, which isnít compatible with GDEMU (or USB-GDROM for that matter)
    Last edited by mmmonkey; 11-06-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gunrock View Post
    Will post back later but there is usually a 0, 1 or 2 on the back that I don't see there.
    Japanese machines don't have those numbers to identify the model. I wish they did.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmonkey View Post

Edit - now that I’ve compared, I would say the one you posted could be a VA2 model, which isn’t compatible with GDEMU (or USB-GDROM for that matter)
    That has definitely put me off buying it. I don't want to take the risk. I will take note of your image and try to hunt down one similar to the VA1 in your pic.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; 11-06-2018 at 08:43 PM.

It's been ages since I last saw one in the flesh, but that looks like a 100V Dreamcast to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tokyochojin View Post
    Some great info there! I spent ages scouring to find that serial number info and failed.

Judging by that then, Iíd say the console originally photographed would have a 3.3v Drive in it. Itís the same year of manufacture as the VA1 in my photo.

@randombs - weíre talking about what volts the optical drive runs at. Early model D.C. console drives ran at 5V and arenít compatible with one of the popular drive replacent products

I think so, the site says it will work in a VA0 machine but it will eventually damage the ODE. So I guess that could be taken to mean itís pin compatible and itís just the voltage thatís just the difference. So I guess it could be modded with a voltage divider or regulator down to 3.3v.

Iíve not seen anyone try it (but then I havenít looked). Maybe people are scared to try it as they waited so long to get the gdemu!!

I guess it sells so well (and heís moved onto developing other things) that the creator hasnít made it compatible himself. Shame, as he caters for all Saturn consoles.