User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    I've bought every issue of Retro Gamer, so I hope it continues for many years to come.
    Me too. I missed out on the 1st 20 issues but a bought them all last year with the digital offer. I subscribe to both the digital and magazine lol. I love the features on how various games were made. EDGE on the other hand, should just give up, they are the Mark Lawrenson of the gaming world; moan about everything and have no passion or excitement for their profession.

Always had issues with EDGE reviews (from the 1st issue) but their features on hardware and access to the Japanese teams was not only world class, but world leading at the time. Now all that's gone and we're left with a mag that looks to make headlines via controversial scores to games

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Always had issues with EDGE reviews (from the 1st issue) but their features on hardware and access to the Japanese teams was not only world class, but world leading at the time. Now all that's gone and we're left with a mag that looks to make headlines via controversial scores to games
    EDGE was a very good magazine in the '90s, but became too sterile last decade. Of course, if people like a magazine to feel very corporate, they will probably like it. It was like some suit running EA was in charge of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Retro View Post
    EDGE was a very good magazine in the '90s, but became too sterile last decade. Of course, if people like a magazine to feel very corporate, they will probably like it. It was like some suit running EA was in charge of the magazine.
    Think that's the trouble with Press in the games industry. Unlike in the early CVG and Means Machines days where the people working on the mags loved gaming and almost couldn't believe they were getting paid to play the latest games and systems, now its seen as a Profession and a career to work in the press in the games industry and starts sort of killed the excitement of looking forward to the next game or system in much of the press

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    now its seen as a Profession and a career to work in the press in the games industry and starts sort of killed the excitement of looking forward to the next game or system in much of the press
    When people try to be all professional and intellectual about gaming, they suck the fun out of it. Gaming is all about imagination, creativity, and having fun, so journos should embrace those core aspects of gaming and deliver reviews etc... that aren't stuffy and bland. When people try to make gaming culture 'highbrow', it always feels like it detracts from the overriding fun essence of the hobby.

Of course, it doesn't mean that gaming journos have to be young, or deliver a magazine like Total!. No, you can aim a magazine at an older, more mature audience but still deliver humour and a general feeling of fun within the pages. EDGE got to the point where it didn't feel like a celebration of gaming, but more like the dull musings of people trying to make gaming "cool" and "serious", when gaming will always be a bit geeky and focused on the fun of playing.
    Last edited by Leon Retro; Today at 07:59 AM.