Retrogamer 30th Anniversary Mega Drive special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrogamer 30th Anniversary Mega Drive special

Just a look out to any MD fans, to get this issue. Got my sub copy back today and the cover alone is so special and a joy to any MD fan (subscribers only) . Great feature on the system, with some nice quotes from various developers that made the system, what it was along with some nice MD related stuff . Also there's a great feature on the Build engine that powered the likes of Duke Nukem 3D.

Great issue well worth getting
    Last edited by Brad; 19-06-2018, 12:04. Reason: Spelling

This looks good, I'll pick it up if I see a copy.

Comment

I hope it's better than the PC-Engine one.

Comment

Mag has been dire for years.

Comment

Well I thought it was a good issue and I still like 'the making of' features in Retro.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
            I'll have to respectfully disagree

Comment

You'd think Strider writes for them with the way he talks!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki Matar View Post
                You'd think Strider writes for them with the way he talks!
                I've heard the editor is an incredibly handsome chap with great taste in forums.

Comment

Originally posted by garrz32 View Post
                  Was trying to spy on who liked this post and accidentally liked it myself

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll pick this up. I think I actually prefer the non subscriber cover, fortunately!

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
                    I hope it's better than the PC-Engine one.
                    Yeah, it was a weak article for such a great machine. As much as you had the likes of Julian Rignall talking about how amazing the machine was when it first appeared, there wasn't much substance to the article, so it felt far too lightweight. If you're going to celebrate a machine as iconic and significant as the PC Engine, you really need more than a nice cover. I think Retro Gamer should dedicate at least 8 packed pages when celebrating a console or computer that has a rich library of games and things connected with it. It seems like these sort of articles aren't handled with the passion they deserve. It would be in RG's favour to deliver truly great articles.

Away from that sort of negativity though, I always enjoy Retro Gamer. I have every issue - and find myself going back to old issues quite often. It's a well crafted magazine overall, always full of interesting interviews and features. It's just a sad fact that sometimes you get a complete let down like the PC Engine feature that should have been much more satisfying.

I can also say that I don't like features that treat the reader like they are new to gaming, because surely it would be better to aim the articles at enthusiasts, so they can maybe learn a thing or two, and the more casual or younger gamers will probably also appreciate things being more indepth. The magazine should be aimed to appeal to dedicated, seasoned gamers, because that would probably end up making all the readers happy.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 16-06-2018, 01:55.

Comment

All of these mags are wack nowadays and when it comes to retro the honest to goodness nerds that congregate round places like these could probably whipped up a better piece which once again shows the lack of need for said titles, especially when they insultingly punt out such superficial “celebrations”.

Comment

Originally posted by replicashooter View Post
                        All of these mags are wack nowadays and when it comes to retro the honest to goodness nerds that congregate round places like these could probably whipped up a better piece which once again shows the lack of need for said titles, especially when they insultingly punt out such superficial “celebrations”.
                        I haven't heard the term "wack" since the 90s!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                          I can also say that I don't like features that treat the reader like they are new to gaming, because surely it would be better to aim the articles at enthusiasts, so they can maybe learn a thing or two, and the more casual or younger gamers will probably also appreciate things being more indepth. The magazine should be aimed to appeal to dedicated, seasoned gamers, because that would probably end up making all the readers happy.
                          It's all about finding the middle ground if I'm honest.

We pick up new readers all the time and some of them just have a casual interest in the games they played as a kid and certainly aren't hardcore gamers as you might expect. It's a difficult line to walk and the PC Engine article is a good example. For every person who feels it doesn't go into enough depth (which is a fair point) you'll get three or four letters from readers saying how much they loved it, because it covered something they know very little about.

I think it's easy to assume that everyone knows the basics about retro gaming and it's a trap I've fallen into in the past. In the 16 years I've been writing about retro gamer, one thing I've learned is that as well as you might know a subject, there's always someone out there who knows more than you. The trick I guess is to make a magazine that people feel is worth reading each month and that's what I always try to do

Comment

Yup, makes sense. I could see my mate Kevin picking up this month's issue as an MD owner BITD. He's a FIFA fan and generally pretty casual PS4 gamer that wouldn't know a HuCard if it slapped him across his TurboGrafx.

People on this forum have mega hardcore knowledge, but that's quite a limited audience to write a magazine for.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                              People on this forum have mega hardcore knowledge, but that's quite a limited audience to write a magazine for.
                              A long, long time ago there was a thread here about how people would by a NTSC-UK magazine. I mentioned how it would most likely sell terribly because it's a niche subject and I get negged to buggery.

The point stands though, as commercial as retro gaming now appears it's still a niche subject in the grand scheme of things. With that in mind you can either continue to write for an ever dwindling audience (people get older and bored of magazines) or look at new ways to bring them in. It's one of the reasons now that we tend to have at least one PS2 generation feature a month, there's always people out there with their own idea of what retro means.

Comment

Working...
                              X