Retrogamer 30th Anniversary Mega Drive special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strider View Post
    It's a difficult line to walk and the PC Engine article is a good example. For every person who feels it doesn't go into enough depth (which is a fair point) you'll get three or four letters from readers saying how much they loved it, because it covered something they know very little about.
    I'm pretty sure that if the PC Engine piece had been more indepth, people wouldn't have written letters complaining about it having too much content. So I think it would be best to aim articles at enthusiasts who crave a thorough celebration of something like the PC Engine, and that approach should also inspire the more casual reader.

I really enjoy the magazine though, so thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
      I'm pretty sure that if the PC Engine piece had been more indepth, people wouldn't have written letters complaining about it having too much content. So I think it would be best to aim articles at enthusiasts who crave a thorough celebration of something like the PC Engine, and that approach should also inspire the more casual reader.

I really enjoy the magazine though, so thanks.
      It's still a great mag. Don't get the hate. There is always a great feature to read and it's a nice happy mag. EDGE mag is just like Mark lawrenson of the gaming and hates everything to do with their respected profession

Comment

Is this anything to do with retrogammon?

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
          It's still a great mag. Don't get the hate.
          As much as I can easily moan about some of the articles on machines like the SNES and PC Engine feeling too lightweight and unsatisfying, overall I think the people behind the magazine do a great job delivering a really enjoyable magazine each month. It's easily one of the best magazines ever next to Super Play.

EDGE magazine nearly broke my passion for gaming. I had to stop buying it around 10 years ago because it had become like a sterile industry catalogue, rather than something to enthuse gamers with passion and an uplifting celebration of the medium.

I've bought every issue of Retro Gamer, so I hope it continues for many years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            Is this anything to do with retrogammon?
            I remember gammon flavour crisps being nice. When I was looking for them on google, it showed me this unrelated image:

Me and my brother used to say "Mmmmm hedgehogs taste really nice" and laugh our heads off.

Comment

I've bought every issue of Retro Gamer, so I hope it continues for many years to come.
              Me too. I missed out on the 1st 20 issues but a bought them all last year with the digital offer. I subscribe to both the digital and magazine lol. I love the features on how various games were made. EDGE on the other hand, should just give up, they are the Mark Lawrenson of the gaming world; moan about everything and have no passion or excitement for their profession.

Always had issues with EDGE reviews (from the 1st issue) but their features on hardware and access to the Japanese teams was not only world class, but world leading at the time. Now all that's gone and we're left with a mag that looks to make headlines via controversial scores to games

Comment

Always had issues with EDGE reviews (from the 1st issue) but their features on hardware and access to the Japanese teams was not only world class, but world leading at the time. Now all that's gone and we're left with a mag that looks to make headlines via controversial scores to games
                EDGE was a very good magazine in the '90s, but became too sterile last decade. Of course, if people like a magazine to feel very corporate, they will probably like it. It was like some suit running EA was in charge of the magazine.

Comment

EDGE was a very good magazine in the '90s, but became too sterile last decade. Of course, if people like a magazine to feel very corporate, they will probably like it. It was like some suit running EA was in charge of the magazine.
                  Think that's the trouble with Press in the games industry. Unlike in the early CVG and Means Machines days where the people working on the mags loved gaming and almost couldn't believe they were getting paid to play the latest games and systems, now its seen as a Profession and a career to work in the press in the games industry and starts sort of killed the excitement of looking forward to the next game or system in much of the press

Comment

now its seen as a Profession and a career to work in the press in the games industry and starts sort of killed the excitement of looking forward to the next game or system in much of the press
                    When people try to be all professional and intellectual about gaming, they suck the fun out of it. Gaming is all about imagination, creativity, and having fun, so journos should embrace those core aspects of gaming and deliver reviews etc... that aren't stuffy and bland. When people try to make gaming culture 'highbrow', it always feels like it detracts from the overriding fun essence of the hobby.

Of course, it doesn't mean that gaming journos have to be young, or deliver a magazine like Total!. No, you can aim a magazine at an older, more mature audience but still deliver humour and a general feeling of fun within the pages. EDGE got to the point where it didn't feel like a celebration of gaming, but more like the dull musings of people trying to make gaming "cool" and "serious", when gaming will always be a bit geeky and focused on the fun of playing.
                    Last edited by Leon Retro; 20-06-2018, 07:59.

Comment

I bought this. IT HAS STICKERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I bought this. IT HAS STICKERS!!!
                        My younger brother used to stick all those annoying stickers on my consoles and even on the controllers. His Mega Drive was covered in the bloody things. Even back then as a kid... I knew it spoilt the aesthetic value of the consoles.

The only stickers I was interested in, were Panini football stickers for the albums. I wish I had kept all the completed albums.

Comment

I was a stickerer. My kids are now stickerers. We know each other’s systems by the stickers on them. You would hate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            You would hate that.
                            I just wouldn't lend you any of my gaming stuff.

Comment

This is a great issue but the fact that most of the Megadrive section isn’t dedicated to Soleil is a travesty.

I don’t buy this mag often enough. I really enjoy it. Lots of stories, reminders of games I loved and glimpses of games I have never seen before.

Comment

Every time I see a system on eBay that's covered in stickers, I'm filled with a rage that can barely be contained.

Comment

Working...
                                X